*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #16 Auburn Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
When the guy averages 15 points, 3 assists, has high FT% and also is improving his 3%, yes I'd like him to get the ball and use it often. His aggressive offense in the lane is needed, since practically everyone else on the team is very conservative there.

"Shut down like today"? He put up 23. Leading the team. 9 of which was FTs.

23 points while taking 10 more shots than anyone els, I’m not saying he shouldn’t be driving but you can count on him driving weather there is anything there or not. His driving was really bad during the Baylor game also

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
23 points while taking 10 more shots than anyone els, I’m not saying he shouldn’t be driving but you can count on him driving weather there is anything there or not. His driving was really bad during the Baylor game also
It may not be automatic points, but it's the closest thing we have to it. It needs to be there. He's a producer, simple as that.

He's also only a sophomore. That kid has potential.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
It may not be automatic points, but it's the closest thing we have to it. It needs to be there. He's a producer, simple as that.

He's also only a sophomore. That kid has potential.
I love me some Bolton. He may be a shot hog at times and dribbles into 5 guys too much but he is a scorer. I would like to see Tyrese try to force his shot more driving. Funny thing is that 90% time it is not a forced shot. He just doesn't shoot when driving. Weird.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
To be fair, Tre not being available was a big reason for Grill playing as much as he did. Nixon got a minutes bump too. Hard to say Tre would have hit the threes that Grill missed but if healthy I guess he would have been the one shooting them.
I do think Lewis and Zion made a case today to be the first wing off the bench. silver lining of the day.

Grill had a tough day no doubt but we need to remember he is a 3 star late riser who has a lot of talent but needs some development. I don't think Prohm was planning on him being a 3 pt sniper this year. Comparing Caleb to Matt Thomas is unfair as he was a top 60 4 star specifically recruited for his shot. They are different players.
I hear ya. I am not talking this game only. All season I look up and Grill and Jackson are in and not making shots. Griffin and Lewis are on the bench. I see Griffin has more arc on his shots since the beginning of the year and is making some shots. He is also rebounding.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Thought the team really fought hard at the end of the game, which is good to see. Need to make a few more open shots in these close games. Feels like the team might be getting a little better. Just feels like too little, too late..

I disagree with the too late. After Baylor, the schedule sets up for an opportunity for a run. Get hot and there's still a chance for a 10-8 record or so. That would be good enough to be at least discussed for a bubble spot.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Still shot the ball terrible from the 3 point line again today. Well, terrible by most teams standards, 26%, with 3 guys (Grill, Jacobson, Lewis) going 0 for 6.

Surprised that Jackson did not even play, or is he hurt?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Still shot the ball terrible from the 3 point line again today. Well, terrible by most teams standards, 26%, with 3 guys (Grill, Jacobson, Lewis) going 0 for 6.

Surprised that Jackson did not even play, or is he hurt?

I realize everyone doesn't want to watch us play, but maybe if you don't you shouldn't be ******** about the team.

Jackson got hurt in the Oklahoma State game. He ran into Solo and hurt his face. Concussion protocol was negative and that is why he came back in the 2nd half of that game. However, watching him when he got hit he was definitely weaving around and I was shocked he didn't have a concussion. Not sure if he didn't play today because of the facial injury or if they diagnosed a concussion later.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The game has changed over the past 10 years, its become hitting three pointers at a high rate, something we are not good at. I said before the game for ISU to win or be in the game we had to be around 10 made three pointers. We made 7/27, Auburn was 10/28, 9 points more from long distance.

The number one goal for next year has got to be play more zone, and hitting 3 pointers at a higher rate. Shooting used to be our strength, now its our biggest weakness.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
As a resident Hawk “troll” that doesn’t post outside of the ISR forum I’m gonna give my 2 bits here.

Bolton is kind of an enigma to me. Kid is super talented. He can drive at will....

The hole in his game is decision making. He takes a lot of bad shots. His ability to get to the rim bails him out at times as he draws fouls.

There was a sequence around the midway point of the second half where you guys got within 7 or 8....he basically had the ball 2 straight possessions. 1 ended up in a turnover as he a drove and the other ended up with a foul as he drove. I don’t think Halliburton touched the ball eithet possesion. Both were critical possessions.

Halliburton actually signaled for the ball on one of them. He’s got to understand that he can create for others and specifically look for Halliburton when Halliburton is off the ball.

The kid has the talent to be a great one IMO but I think at this moment he’s a little too single dimensional in that he’s looking for his shot regardless if it’s the smart decision

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I realize everyone doesn't want to watch us play, but maybe if you don't you shouldn't be ******** about the team.

Jackson got hurt in the Oklahoma State game. He ran into Solo and hurt his face. Concussion protocol was negative and that is why he came back in the 2nd half of that game. However, watching him when he got hit he was definitely weaving around and I was shocked he didn't have a concussion. Not sure if he didn't play today because of the facial injury or if they diagnosed a concussion later.

This is a reasonable response, jfc jsb get ahold of yourself