KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I listen to a lot of these shows daily. Really sucks as I think local sports radio is so much better than national radio.

Sorry to hear this @ChrisMWilliams. I was a big fan of the Fanatics. I've been listening to you since I was in college and you and @brentblum were on the radio on sunday mornings on 1430. You've come a long way in your craft since then.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
"Employee dislocation" "Centers of excellence"
Who the **** writes this ********?
Basically they are replacing everyone with robots and churning out trash. Hope the listeners and advertisers dump them like the pile of **** they are.
https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...tmedia-revamps-markets-group-structure-with-t

Wait these idiots think we are actually going to listen to robots? HAHAHA :eek: :mad:

I guess they did put this into the memo “iHEART is the rare example of a major traditional media company that has made the successful transformation into a 21st century media company" :rolleyes: (could someone remind them they have been in bankruptcy for the past 2 years..)

Silicon Valley has vastly overestimated the current abilities of AI.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Drumlum

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
CW and Ross had a great show. Obviously having the local content I want made me listen, but seriously, these guys knew their stuff, had unique takes on sports and non-sports topics, and worked so well with each other that it was great radio. I really have no clue about the business and trying to monetize something like a Fanatics podcast independently, but I would sure as hell listen.

I get the complaints about some of the local shows that have been on in the market. Some were pretty bad. Fanatics was great. But the main thing is having local sports covered is so much more enjoyable. I don't hate all of the national shows, but man, I have Cowherd's show on occasonially while in the car, and I would really like to know from probably July - December how much time was spent on Dak Prescott and the Cowboys. I swear 90% of the time I heard the show that's what he's talking about. A pretty good QB on a mediocre team that can't win a terrible division.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Well, this is some unwelcome news. I'll find something else to listen to on my commute. I mostly just feel bad for the folks who were laid off. National sports radio can't hold a candle to local content when it's done right, and AD and his team consistently put out a great product. Sorry to see this happen.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
This move will complete my full transition to PodCasts. I can find enough material there that interests me for my 40 minute commute twice a day. Hope Chris channels his energy into more CF podcasts!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Basically they are replacing everyone with robots and churning out trash. Hope the listeners and advertisers dump them like the pile of **** they are.

That's what it will boil down to. Will the local advertisers move their dollars elsewhere? If they will, then some local station should be able to make it work.

From the iHeart perspective, they must figure that by just doing a national show with minimal listeners (but at essentially $0 incremental cost) they could make more profit even with just on the standard package national advertising (i.e. Geico ads 40 times per hour).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's not true at all. Podcasts are absolutely seeing increases in listeners, but it's not like radio is losing people.

https://www.journalism.org/fact-sheet/audio-and-podcasting/

However, decisions like this certainly aren't going to help those numbers in any way

Informative -- thank you for posting.

However, my overall thoughts have not changed. Radio is not really a growth industry and podcasts are going to (albeit maybe slowly) replace it.

I think the linked data shows that was probably happening slower than I thought it was, but I am all podcasts all the time, and I can imagine people younger than me (32) are only going to trend more and more that way. It might just take some time.

There are only limited advertising dollars, as well, and podcasts create more competition for that, putting further pressure on radio stations' revenues.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron