Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
It has definitely been a struggle for me recently.

A little person information here, but my family is VERY critical about everything I do. From the profession I chose (I quit my job as an engineer to start a software company) to the people I date, my family doesn't approve of most of my actions. When I went home for the holidays, all I got from my mother, brother and grandmother was "Wow, you've gained so much weight!" and "hey fattie, how's that belt doing?". It's awful.

My parents even sat me down out of nowhere and said "We've been thinking, we think you should go on blood pressure medication" without any medical testing or any prior discussion on my blood pressure.

So yea, I kinda relapsed a bit and I am very embarrassed by it.

I'm thinking of going on the carnivore diet the rest of this month like Joe Rogan. He says the best thing that he's notice is the boost in energy he has all day. This past few weeks, I could have really used that energy to get me feeling better. It's worth a try!

**** those guys, we will be here to support you. We can all be fat together, until we arent.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
**** those guys, we will be here to support you. We can all be fat together, until we arent.

I can't imagine a family member talking to me like that. Of course, my family isn't the most fit so they'd have to have an astounding lack of self awareness. Also, wanting to put someone on BP medication without proof of high blood pressure is really ignorant.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It has definitely been a struggle for me recently.

A little person information here, but my family is VERY critical about everything I do. From the profession I chose (I quit my job as an engineer to start a software company) to the people I date, my family doesn't approve of most of my actions. When I went home for the holidays, all I got from my mother, brother and grandmother was "Wow, you've gained so much weight!" and "hey fattie, how's that belt doing?". It's awful.

My parents even sat me down out of nowhere and said "We've been thinking, we think you should go on blood pressure medication" without any medical testing or any prior discussion on my blood pressure.

So yea, I kinda relapsed a bit and I am very embarrassed by it.

I'm thinking of going on the carnivore diet the rest of this month like Joe Rogan. He says the best thing that he's notice is the boost in energy he has all day. This past few weeks, I could have really used that energy to get me feeling better. It's worth a try!

Real sorry to hear about the fam situation...that's some b.s.

I've not done the carnivore diet. However, usually when I go back to Iowa, I get a Casey's pizza as per tradition. The last 1/2 year or so my dad will have a crockpot full of brats and deer meat, and I just eat that instead, and have noticed that I feel WAY better the next several days compared to gorging on pizza so there might be something to it. I feel better about my body using the fat from the meat compared to all the crap that it's in pizza dough.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This thread has inspired me to get back to what I was doing a couple years ago. Eating less, drinking much less soda, fasting 17-7, and running 15 miles a week. 1 week down. Still fat.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I’m trying out dry January. The snow made that tough yesterday, but the good decision to not imbibe and workout instead paid off on the scale this morning.

Hope everyone is keeping up the good fight.

Reactions: cycloneworld

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Hello all,

Much respect to everyone wanting to better their health. Please take into consideration something that is starting to get attention, but not enough at this point. Blue light and what is is doing to your weight, and over all health.

Jack Kruse is the best person to follow in this regard. Below is a link to a facebook post, as well as a video outlining what is going on.

I would get blue blocking glasses from RA Optics or Felix Gray. There are cheaper options, but those are trustworthy brands and utilize those and see how you feel, sleep and what happens to your weight.

It isn't just about diet and exercise anymore.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
I cut back to one meal a day this week and lost 5.6 lbs. I still drank beer and ate what I wanted, just not as much. Kind of a 20/4 fast. Feel a lot better at work not snacking and coming back from lunch bloated. I will see how the next week goes.

Reactions: dmclone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hello all,

Much respect to everyone wanting to better their health. Please take into consideration something that is starting to get attention, but not enough at this point. Blue light and what is is doing to your weight, and over all health.

Jack Kruse is the best person to follow in this regard. Below is a link to a facebook post, as well as a video outlining what is going on.

I would get blue blocking glasses from RA Optics or Felix Gray. There are cheaper options, but those are trustworthy brands and utilize those and see how you feel, sleep and what happens to your weight.

It isn't just about diet and exercise anymore.

Blue light has been proven to have a negative effect on your sleep, which in turn leads to the other health problems mentioned.

It's usually best to shut down screen time well before you go to bed. Otherwise most computers/phones have a "night" mode that decreases the amount of blue light they emit.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneNorth

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
From everything I've read and listened to, you can adapt real quick. I want to get to 18/6 whenever possible but I'm committed to 16/8. I haven't seen anywhere where it's an all or nothing thing but the people who seem to know their stuff say that once you get the hang of it, it just gets way easier to eat even just once a day.

I travel about 60% of the time for work and since I’ve had this job (3 years), I’ve gained 25 lbs. I know exactly why - it’s damn near impossible to eat well on the road, especially when you are working 12-14 hr days many times.

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for about a year and I’ve maintained weight without watching what I eat. I do 16/8 and it’s now easy and routine. But trying to get to 18/6 or 20/4 has been very difficult for me. Any tips other than to just tough it out?

I’m now watching what I eat much more and hope to drop 20 lbs in the first half of 2020.

Reactions: Cyientist

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Blue light has been proven to have a negative effect on your sleep, which in turn leads to the other health problems mentioned.

It's usually best to shut down screen time well before you go to bed. Otherwise most computers/phones have a "night" mode that decreases the amount of blue light they emit.
This is true, but there is no night node for TV as far as I know. The glasses will cover all bringers of blue light.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Came out of the weekend lighter. That doesn't happen for me often.

Dry January was tough after the cyclone blow out of OU. I got home from the game, and I usually like watching the DVR of those games with a gin and tonic. Instead I read a book about Churchill, which didn't help stem the urge for a drink...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Came out of the weekend lighter. That doesn't happen for me often.

Dry January was tough after the cyclone blow out of OU. I got home from the game, and I usually like watching the DVR of those games with a gin and tonic. Instead I read a book about Churchill, which didn't help stem the urge for a drink...

And a cigar?

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I travel about 60% of the time for work and since I’ve had this job (3 years), I’ve gained 25 lbs. I know exactly why - it’s damn near impossible to eat well on the road, especially when you are working 12-14 hr days many times.

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for about a year and I’ve maintained weight without watching what I eat. I do 16/8 and it’s now easy and routine. But trying to get to 18/6 or 20/4 has been very difficult for me. Any tips other than to just tough it out?

I’m now watching what I eat much more and hope to drop 20 lbs in the first half of 2020.
I have had this issue as well. It's definitely hard to eat well especially when sitting down with clients over a meal. It's actually be one of my big struggles for this can. I have resorted to finding the nearest WalMart and buying "healthlier options" and now that I'm trying the carnivore diet, I lug around a George Foreman grill and a little skillet to make scrambled eggs. I buy the paper towels and plates at the Walmart. It's kinda been fun; feels like camping.

Reactions: cycloneworld

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
At 202 lbs. gonna start my goal to get down to 185. If im not ~185 lbs. in 4-5 months ill ban myself.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
With all the driving back and forth to Virginia that I have been doing I just stop at Bob Evans and get the grilled chicken with broccoli and green beans and tell them no rolls or biscuits.

That keeps it to about 500 calories. Unfortunately some times they'll still bring those damn rolls or biscuits.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$