Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I'd love to see who's going to guard us on the perimeter on that roster. Bolton and Nixon should be able to get to the rim at will
Thing is they won't have to because they will be in the zone all night. I think we will struggle to get past Iowa, just because we have to hit a 3 or 2 to get them out of the zone. Something Tech couldn't do to save their life.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Thing is they won't have to because they will be in the zone all night. I think we will struggle to get past Iowa, just because we have to hit a 3 or 2 to get them out of the zone. Something Tech couldn't do to save their life.

Based off their athletes I would guess the middle of the zone is pretty soft. Just need to attack it

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Based off their athletes I would guess the middle of the zone is pretty soft. Just need to attack it
Yeah, the middle is soft, but also has Garza in the lane. I love Bolton's ability to finish, but I have yet to see an easy bucket off a pass from him driving the lane. Best look is probably a high low with Jacobson and Young or Young and Conditt.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, the middle is soft, but also has Garza in the lane. I love Bolton's ability to finish, but I have yet to see an easy bucket off a pass from him driving the lane. Best look is probably a high low with Jacobson and Young or Young and Conditt.

Whoever has joblow guarding them needs to drive. He is too slow and Garza would need to bust the cement blocks off his feet to contest it. Spread people to stretch the zone and joblow comes to guard a guy just have them blow by him and go for a layup. Hawks are one slow team.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Whoever has joblow guarding them needs to drive. He is too slow and Garza would need to bust the cement blocks off his feet to contest it. Spread people to stretch the zone and joblow comes to guard a guy just have them blow by him and go for a layup. Hawks are one slow team.
Tech did a terrible job at attacking the zone, rather they just passed the ball from side to side and jacked up a poor shot because the shot clock told them to. The key against Iowa will be to get into the middle of the zone and make a good decision. Iowa baits you into there at times and will then play the passing lanes to the perimeter, so getting in there and knowing what to do after is the key. There were many times a Tech player would get around an Iowa defender and did not know what to do. Most of the time they would take a terrible floater or contested pull up jumper and those never seemed to work.

Getting Iowa out of the zone will be the key offensively because they cannot play man to man defense well at all. Hitting a couple of outside shots will be the difference maker in that zone and I'm sure Iowa is going to let us shoot it all night long.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: moores2 and Acylum

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Garza in the lane is one of the biggest reasons the middle of their zone is so soft. They don't have a rim protector

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
huh? I watched that game. I think you really reaching here.

CJ Fredrick was the guy initially involved in that issue.
Connor was not the first guy involved in the Jacobsen offensive charging issue. He still got himself involved. Loose cannon,

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Bolton impressed me in the Bahamas against top competition. He'll be a nice piece for the next couple years. Here's a nice dish to Solomon off a drive during the Alabama game..

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
"Also has Garza in the lane" is supposed to be a good thing?
I don't care what kind of shot blocker someone is, but a 7 footer who isn't afraid to give a little contact alters shots. Altered shots don't go in very often.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

You don't have to hit three's to beat a soft zone... Find the middle of the zone and we should be in good shape. With their ability to knock down the jumper, Young and MJ could absolutely destroy that zone. IMO the key will be to not be too quick to fire the three. Work Iowa side to side and the lane will open up.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't care what kind of shot blocker someone is, but a 7 footer who isn't afraid to give a little contact alters shots. Altered shots don't go in very often.

I've seen enough layup drills against Iowa over the last two seasons to disagree with you...

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
He can't figure out analytics and advanced stats
I follow advanced statistics just fine, but you are trying to make a case that Moss is a more efficient ball handler than Connor by using "Turnover %" which is flawed in so many ways it's laughable. Did you know that Shaq has a lower career turnover % than Magic? Why would that be? Magic is one of the best pgs of all time. How could a guy that can barely dribble the ball have a better turnover rate than the best pg in the history of the game? If you can answer me that, then you have your answer as to why Connor is more efficient than Moss with the ball.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Michigan beats us and gets ranked, SDSU beats Iowa and is still unranked........

TT is ranked 11, loses to Iowa and falls out of the rankings......
Michigan beat North Carolina who was #6 and Gonzaga who was #8 which is why they are ranked. TT lost to Iowa and Creighton after losing their best player halfway through the 2nd half of the Iowa game. He did not play against Creighton.