FSU talking potential hiring of Campbell

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Like I’ve said before, I’m not extremely worried about this. But there’s more smoke than I’d like there to be. As always, it’ll be good when all the jobs are filled. And of course that’s a long time from now with the NFL. ;)

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Sometimes I think these college Fan Sided sites are hiring guys like ... us. This guy doesn't seem like a very informed sports journalist.

(Also, no way would Franklin leave Penn State for that dumpster fire at FSU)

Agree, seems like just some fan writing a blog post for other fans of the same team to get clicks, who did maybe 45 minutes of actual research.

We beat TCU by 25, not 4 points, and our first opponent was Northern Iowa, not Northern Illinois.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I love this comment on the second link:

I feel the same way about Matt Campbell as I felt about Mark Stoops, what's splashy about either of those two? Give me Franklin, Kelly, or Matt Rhule.

o_O

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I live in Florida and I have been following the FSU search on their web sites.

The FSU fans and beat reporters are worse than even Texas people with regard to arrogance about their program.

I don't know Campbell well, but I know he values humility in his players and coaches, that is not the way of the world at FSU.

Why would any good coach want to work for a school that fires a coach in less than two years, has a President and AD that are both expected to be gone in a couple of years, and a fan base that is obsessed with recruiting rankings over the quality and character of the young men brought into the program to learn the game of football? Several people on the 247 site the last 10 days have said Campbell would be a good hire only if the President and AD helped him get an "elite" coaching staff! Campbell would love that!

Schools like Texas and FSU are both struggling because the coaches they hired recently have recruited kids who are head and shoulders above everyone else when the recruiting rankings are made in their sophomore and junior years, while Campbell and other developmental programs work very hard to find the kids with good attitudes, not pampered so they work hard, and have basic skills that can be molded into much better football players when they are 21 or 22 than they were at 17.

I will be happy to keep a guy like Campbell for as long as we can, enjoy the ride, and hope and pray that our fan base never becomes as arrogant as Texas, FSU, and others as we continue to win more games.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
A different perspective on the same job.
https://apple.news/Aa-vFD8CXOKGXBRDInugm3A

Weird article... Starts off calling him the betting favorite, then at the end, they say IF they could pry him from ISU blahblahblah...

CMC is midwest. He wears black sweatshirts with t-shirts underneath. He would die down there. Alligators and spiders. It's Africa hot down there.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Agree, seems like just some fan writing a blog post for other fans of the same team to get clicks, who did maybe 45 minutes of actual research.

We beat TCU by 25, not 4 points, and our first opponent was Northern Iowa, not Northern Illinois.
I'm going to write a reply saying "Why would our successful coach decide to go and take over for Bobby Bowden?"

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Like I’ve said before, I’m not extremely worried about this. But there’s more smoke than I’d like there to be. As always, it’ll be good when all the jobs are filled. And of course that’s a long time from now with the NFL. ;)

Get used to it. There’s going to be a lot of smoke around potentially hiring away Campbell until it actually happens... or 20 years from now when he’s still at ISU and two-bit “journalists” have finally figured out he’s not going anywhere.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The only thing that irks me is the continual differentiation between CMC and some of these other coaches like Rhule.

FSU is a very good job, but it’s really tough for P5’s to pull other P5’s head coaches that are successful and in stable situations.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Well, at least it's progressed past the point of a couple years ago when Mizzou fans were debating if they should decide to hire Campbell as if they wanted him he'd jump at the chance. FSU is a hell of a job, no doubt. Campbell has the luxury to pick where he wants to go, and that next stop is going to be a destination. Doesn't mean if he leaves that he'll necessarily never change jobs again, but he's not going to take something knowing going in that it's a temporary job. In other words, if he knows at some point he wants to get to the NFL, I am 99% sure he will stay at ISU until either that NFL opportunity comes up, or it is clear that he has to go have success at another stop before he can land an NFL job. I am skeptical that the latter will be required. Sure, there are a lot of factors keeping him at ISU, but I'd say just as important there are factors swaying him to have some long-term stability. Obviously, family and kids are the big one. The other one is the shared success of Heacock, and what his thoughts are on moving again.

• Agree
Reactions: JRE1975

Help Support Us

Become a patron