FSU talking potential hiring of Campbell

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Main concern if CMC leaving would be that the success hasn't been sustained long enough for me to think the next person is going to be as good.

Also the 'stepping stone' narrative would be back.

The stepping stone narrative will always be here to an extent. Campbell changed the conversation from "you can't win here" to "there are great things about the job, but it's not easy to win here." There are enough disadvantages outside of the coach's control, and outside of what Campbell can likely do that it's never going to be considered a top tier job. Still, having a passionate fanbase that continues to grow and take market share from it's local competition and a highly supportive AD go a long way to attracting a good coach.

If I had to bet on one scenario, I'd bet on Campbell being at ISU for 4-5 more years, then getting an NFL job that at least has demonstrated competent ownership.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Main concern if CMC leaving would be that the success hasn't been sustained long enough for me to think the next person is going to be as good.

Also the 'stepping stone' narrative would be back.
Why would the stepping stone narrative matter? It’s harmless message board talk and will be the narrative almost anywhere. For example, FSU fans are thinking Franklin would jump from PSU.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman
L

LincolnWay187

Can you imagine Campbell coaching that upstanding Citizen jameis winston

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Call me crazy but in their current situations he might have a better chance at winning a National Championship at ISU than he would at Florida State. Although aside from Clemson the ACC is trash.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I live in Florida and I have been following the FSU search on their web sites.

The FSU fans and beat reporters are worse than even Texas people with regard to arrogance about their program.

I don't know Campbell well, but I know he values humility in his players and coaches, that is not the way of the world at FSU.

Why would any good coach want to work for a school that fires a coach in less than two years, has a President and AD that are both expected to be gone in a couple of years, and a fan base that is obsessed with recruiting rankings over the quality and character of the young men brought into the program to learn the game of football? Several people on the 247 site the last 10 days have said Campbell would be a good hire only if the President and AD helped him get an "elite" coaching staff! Campbell would love that!

Schools like Texas and FSU are both struggling because the coaches they hired recently have recruited kids who are head and shoulders above everyone else when the recruiting rankings are made in their sophomore and junior years, while Campbell and other developmental programs work very hard to find the kids with good attitudes, not pampered so they work hard, and have basic skills that can be molded into much better football players when they are 21 or 22 than they were at 17.

I will be happy to keep a guy like Campbell for as long as we can, enjoy the ride, and hope and pray that our fan base never becomes as arrogant as Texas, FSU, and others as we continue to win more games.

I've said it since the end of the Mack Brown era but Texas has a major culture issue within their football program and it starts with how the higher rated kids are treated in high school. It's well known how big of a deal prep football is in Texas but I'm 100% sold that a lot of the highly rated recruits are almost uncoachable. It shouldn't be a surprise that a "players coach" like Herman hasn't been able to turn it around.

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Like I’ve said before, I’m not extremely worried about this. But there’s more smoke than I’d like there to be. As always, it’ll be good when all the jobs are filled. And of course that’s a long time from now with the NFL. ;)

There’s hardly any smoke in regards to Campbell to FSU. Lol

Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm going to write a reply saying "Why would our successful coach decide to go and take over for Bobby Bowden?"

He is more likely to go to Akron and take over for Terry Bowden! (I know, he left a year ago, but I just want to make a point).

Can you imagine Campbell trying to get that bunch of prima donnas to be a "player-led team" that approaches practice and the off-season like they do at Mount Union and Iowa State? No way he wants to try to tame that beast.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't see the Campbell to the NFL narrative. He could already be there if he wanted. Turned down the Pats years ago. Maybe as a HC he would be more inclined but I think he could have made this change long ago.

Last edited:

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I don't know MC. Never met the man, but doesn't he seem like a guy who'd be just as happy being the Head Ball Coach at Mr. Union as he would coaching the New York Jets?

Having an ability to surround himself with quality young men and then help mold those guys to be their best possible self? Not just lip service, but legitimately living that life

Special person to have that as a top career goal. Could he do that at FSU or Miami? Sure. But he'd also have Luke from 2 Live Crew and those outside pressures to win.....

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Its crazy to me to read this stuff and our fans believing Matt Campbell is Iowa Stat forever and no way he would leave for Florida State. That is crazy talk after all the coaching stuff that has happened at Iowa State. We lost our two loyal sons (Cael and Fred). So what makes everyone soooo sure we would not lose a coach that has been here for a few years and he is soooo loyal to us. I don't get it. Every year we should be nervous about this stuff.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The he’s “intrigued” comment is what I’m talking about. That’s a bit of smoke. And it’s hard to make those things up.
It’s hard to make those things up?

Saying that you’ve heard a coach is “intrigued” in a job by talking someone you feel would know, without stating any actual names, is exemplary of how easy it is to craft a narrative that will garner clicks.

Let’s just get this out of the way, CMC, and all other top coaches, are “intrigued” by a P5 job that will pay top dollar and is located in a talent rich area. Intrigued? Lol

Reactions: CyDude16

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron