Twitter hates me. The Des Moines Register fired me. Here’s what really happened.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The reporter got fired for his own offensive tweets he made just recently. His "apology" was weak and then he went on to blame a bunch of other people about it shortly after. To me, he still hasn't accepted responsibility for his own tweets and is blaming everyone else for his firing.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Very clever in repeatedly referring to King as a "public figure" so as to make a defamation claim practically impossible.
I don't really see where a defamation claim was ever a matter at all, the source of all of this is still his tweets -- which are already proven to have factually existed. They weren't falsified.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Very clever in repeatedly referring to King as a "public figure" so as to make a defamation claim practically impossible.

1. He was by the time of that profile a public figure.
2. You can't sue someone for defamation when what they published was the truth.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Here's my hangup, and I don't know if it's the author's fault, or the DMR. If the bringing up of King's past tweets wasn't intended to hurt him, then why were they included in the profile at all? What purpose did it serve to publish them if it wasn't to hurt him? I get that running a background check is standard practice. But publishing those tweets wasn't just following procedure. The author thought it was newsworthy and the editor let it be published. I've never heard a satisfactory answer as to why they did that.

Exactly.

Let's also not forget this crucial piece that people rarely address: how did Anheuser-Busch find out about this? They called King to tell him they were severing ties before King even knew about it.

While there are two sides to every story, I've seen enough out of Calvin to see that he's a ******* weasel. He published these tweets, which were retweets of someone else's joke, while having stuff that was MUCH worse when taken at face value in his own profile.

He's been hammering this "I'm a victim" **** the entire time. He threw the tweets in as a little blurb at the end, and not as part of some redemption arc, like he claims.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Would there still be people angry about digging up the tweets in the first place? Sure.

Though I'd say they'd have gotten a lot of people off their back if they'd taken the approach of "not trying to ruin a good thing, we're for personal growth" instead of running the story as they did with the tweets that seemed completely out of place in a story about a guy raising millions for charity.

I don't think your idea would have changed the outcome one bit. There is nothing about the way people have reacted to this story to make me think that people would have made that distinction.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I think he was wrong for thinking the tweets deserved to be in the story, as the way they were included didn't contribute to the story at all. He didn't deserve to be fired over it though, because, like you said, it's ultimately the editor's decision to include that. The editors are also the ones that tell their reporters to dig into subject's social media history to seemingly look for anything controversial.
He seemed like a scapegoat to me. Editor should have stepped down when they decided to let him go.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think this is mostly a moot point because of the news that occurred that day before the Register published its profile. First, as we know now, Busch Light backed out that afternoon because they learned of the tweets. Second, Carson King held his own press conference and issued his own statement that evening confirming the tweets.

So by that evening, the Register hadn't even published anything yet and the whole thing was public knowledge. They posted their profile that night around 9:30 IIRC, and if they published that without mentioning all that had happened that day, it would have been irresponsible.

The thing that nobody seems to get here is that if the Register had set out to damage Carson King, they would have led the story with the damaging part. And actually, if they had set out to damage Carson King they probably don't publish the glowing profile at all and instead focus on the damaging story.

But they didn't do that; instead they buried it and the Busch Light news near the end, almost as an afterthought.
The question is what were they going to do. Just because the got scooped doesn’t change what they were going to do.

As others have mentioned I think the timeline suggests that they reached out to AB in some way. They are the ones that started the whole thing. They wanted to capitalize on a great story by making needless controversy.

The end results of what happened are irrelevant. Just because the public shammed the Register doesn’t excuse the actions they took.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
1. He was by the time of that profile a public figure.
2. You can't sue someone for defamation when what they published was the truth.

1) Total BS. He's just some kid with a Venmo account.
2) Defamation by implication would be the claim, and the truth of the matter would possibly be an affirmative defense (jury question though). But go right on defending the Gannett Corp.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He made a couple decent points but agree with others that the tone of the article is pretty annoying. IF it was their standard practice then higher ups at the Register needed to be let go, or he shouldn't have lost his job. However, going back 7 years into someone's Twitter doesn't seem like standard practice to me. My money is this guy went looking for dirt and found it

Not sure. For 20-somethings, social media garbage is looked at as representative of that age groups' life and beliefs. For far too many in that demographic a random post or 2 is real and used to define someone. For the vast majority of us older than that, we define a person by his actions over long periods of time taking into account the good and bad - and giving those people a pass as the older you are, the more you know our young selves generally don't resemble our older selves.

The author did what he was told to but because of his age, he felt it was part of what defines Carson - which it absolutely did not.

I'm OK with the back ground check, but I'm not OK with cherry picking reposts of a very famous comedian and using that in any way in the context of this wonderful, Iowa-centric feel-good piece.

Die rag.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
There wouldn't be a defamation case because king said the things stipulated.

From the piece that is linked: "In context, I could see that these had been references to sketches by the comedian Daniel Tosh...I approached King with an understanding that what you tweet in high school is not necessarily representative of your beliefs as an adult, and he duly apologized."

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
2) Defamation by implication would be the claim, and the truth of the matter would possibly be an affirmative defense (jury question though). But go right on defending the Gannett Corp.

I'm not defending anyone. I'm repeating facts. Carson King himself confirmed everything in the Register story in his own statement, which he made public before the story was published. Is he going to sue himself for defamation?

As for his status as a public figure, on September 14th he was just "some kid with a Venmo account." But a week later after a ton of media coverage around the country, he was very much a public figure.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
No. He has no case. Would be dismissed before it got anywhere

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
From the piece that is linked: "In context, I could see that these had been references to sketches by the comedian Daniel Tosh...I approached King with an understanding that what you tweet in high school is not necessarily representative of your beliefs as an adult, and he duly apologized."
I read the piece. It is factually correct to say that king had offensive tweets on his timeline. Irrespective of the context. There are 4 standards you need to meet to prove defamation, I'll let you look them up... But this would check maybe 2 of them.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've said all along he was the scapegoat the DMR editors used to place the blame on someone other than themselves for the whole mess that came with their decision to run a story that included something about some old and irrelevant tweets. Calvin is not 100% innocent in this as he still had a role in this article's content and while it may have still had implications on his job still he had a choice to refuse to use the old tweets as part of his story if he wanted to or taken his name off the story if he disagreed with the editor's direction. Carol Hunter and any DMR editors who gave the OK to go in this direction are the ones that really deserved to lose their jobs over the backlash it brought. The editors are the ones that are supposed to be the checkpoints to make sure content of articles are worth publishing and they failed miserably with the choice they made on this one.

This article still reads like an entitled brat who still doesn't fully understand what happened and is now playing the bitter victim card. I took a bigger issue with the offensive/disgusting tweets from his past and found that more ironic about how a writer is calling out something stupid Carson tweeted 8 years ago when Calvin himself had far worse things in his twitter history such as anti-police, jokes about same sex marriage, teaching kids about "turning tricks" and substance abuse, verbal abuse, etc. Had he not had that to deal with it may have been harder for the DMR to fire him and that just shows another poor lapse in judgement by the DMR not to know one of their own writers had issues too. That's the issue I take with him more than anything that he was basically the name writer on what same people considered a smear on Carson King while he had even worse things that exposed him as a hypocrite.

He probably should have just let this die like the DMR has been trying to do and just used this as a lesson learned and move on. I do side with him that he was made the scapegoat but he is not without fault and flaw in this whole mess either. To me it sounds like he needs to spend some time reflecting on his own past mistakes and start taking more accountability and become a better person himself. But like many in the media these days they feel they are bulletproof and don't need to apologize for anything when they are exposed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron