NCAA rules in favor of profit for athlete's "likeness"

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good deal. This was inevitable. Their threats to stop California schools from participating had no teeth and everyone knew it. And the writing was on the wall with other states getting into the game. The NCAA had no choice.

... commence with the slippery slope arguments

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Nope, but guaranteed you will see it in Tuscaloosa, Columbus, and Austin. The rich will get richer.

Exactly.

Ohio State Booster - "Hey Miyan Williams, you want to go to OSU? I know they didn't offer you but if you want to walkon I'll pay for your schooling and give you $50,000. All you have to do is appear in some commercials for my business"

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
On one hand, it isn't like this wasn't already happening under the table.

On the other hand, I don't know if I'll be able to deal with my son beating me in NCAA Football in a few years if it makes its way back (which I doubt it will because presumably you'd need an agreement with every college football player to use their likeness). Something tells me people aren't going to jump all over buying a game that "randomizes" the players on each team who thought they were worth $10,000 and EA laughed.

Oregon with the budget of Nike should become an absolute powerhouse in everything.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
On one hand, it isn't like this wasn't already happening under the table.

On the other hand, I don't know if I'll be able to deal with my son beating me in NCAA Football in a few years if it makes its way back (which I doubt it will because presumably you'd need an agreement with every college football player to use their likeness). Something tells me people aren't going to jump all over buying a game that "randomizes" the players on each team who thought they were worth $10,000 and EA laughed.

Yeah this is one problem with trying to do the game. Because in professional sports the games just make an agreement with the players union and the league on how much the company will pay and then it gets split up among players. EA isn't going to take the time to get each player to sign. Would be a pain in the butt too because you would have to the same thing next year with all the new players and on and on.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I knew they would cave. They had no choice.
Yep. There there was no way the NCAA was going to risk a lawsuit on this. They will craft their own rules and it will be billed as "evolution" which is technically true, I suppose.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yep. There there was no way the NCAA was going to risk a lawsuit on this. They will craft their own rules and it will be billed as "evolution" which is technically true, I suppose.

It will be interesting to see what kind of rules they craft. They still might not be out of the woods yet. I wonder if they will try to cap the amount kids can make or say that they can't have the money until out of school etc.

Rio4CY

Sep 29, 2009
Ankeny, IA
This is really going to hurt smaller market programs. We can kid ourselves all we want to, but the compensation for athletes generated by Iowa State & central Iowa compared to numerous other programs is a huge gap. Not a national brand, not in a huge television market, etc.

Now we don't know all the details (and won't for some time...cause its the NCAA) around rules and limitations, so I won't sweat yet, but my gut says look out.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Nope, but guaranteed you will see it in Tuscaloosa, Columbus, and Austin. The rich will get richer.

Making anything "legal" always brings it above board. This just levels the playing field a little bit. It's not like those going to Alabama are deprived of these things. We've had so much diversity in the playoffs it would be impossible to see less.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yikes, that is not good. You won’t see as many of the 4 and 5 star athletes going to schools that aren’t blue bloods

The NCAA already allowed some quarterbacks to get a quarter million dollars as long as they lied that it went to the kid's dad getting the cash without the athlete knowing.