Top 60 recruit Jalen Terry decommits from Michigan State

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Reading some Spartans hoops forums, I am getting a consistent thought that this was pushed by his family/"Handlers". It is MSU fans speculating and we all know what that can be like, seeing it on here regularly. But they seem convinced that he was being pushed to not go MSU before he even committed and the commitment from Hoggard was the straw that broke the camels back for his corner.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Reading some Spartans hoops forums, I am getting a consistent thought that this was pushed by his family/"Handlers". It is MSU fans speculating and we all know what that can be like, seeing it on here regularly. But they seem convinced that he was being pushed to not go MSU before he even committed and the commitment from Hoggard was the straw that broke the camels back for his corner.

I mean this should probably just be assumed with like 95% of the top 100 nowadays.

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017

Dad is very involved. ISU will try and get back in with Terry but Helicopter Dad will scare a lot of people off and maybe even Prohm.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Dad is very involved. ISU will try and get back in with Terry but Helicopter Dad will scare a lot of people off and maybe even Prohm.

I never understood this. Most dads are involved in their kids picking a school. Mine chose the military and I was at every recruiting meeting to make sure they were not telling him crap that was no true to get him to join them. It's not being a helicopter dad. IT's being a dad who cares about their kid. I would be nervous about parents who don't pay attention to what the kid is doing and don't care.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
With less than a month before signing period you have to think Iowa States prior relationship with him and Prohms track record of sending PGs to the league bodes very well for us. Terry took an official visit to Ames last November. 247 doesnt show any other confirmed OVs other than Michigan State.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I never understood this. Most dads are involved in their kids picking a school. Mine chose the military and I was at every recruiting meeting to make sure they were not telling him crap that was no true to get him to join them. It's not being a helicopter dad. IT's being a dad who cares about their kid. I would be nervous about parents who don't pay attention to what the kid is doing and don't care.

How do you not understand the difference between what they're talking about and an involved parent?

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I would be all for this if our classes were more even. If someone was pushed out it would potentially be a player who would be a Sr next season. Being that there would only be 2 Sr players on next year's team anyways that would in turn leave 1 scholarship open for the 2021 Class. I know there is always movement and rosters are always very fluid. I just don't see it being a good idea in the long run.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
How do you not understand the difference between what they're talking about and an involved parent?

How do you know his dad isn't just an involved parent who wants the best for his kid? You part of the recruiting team or something? Fans on message boards always say this type of thing when a kid decommits or commits somewhere else.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
With less than a month before signing period you have to think Iowa States prior relationship with him and Prohms track record of sending PGs to the league bodes very well for us. Terry took an official visit to Ames last November. 247 doesnt show any other confirmed OVs other than Michigan State.

That is assuming Terry would want to commit in the early signing period.
Considering there is only a month left he may opt to sign in the spring. I'd guess hes even likely to wait at this point. He was just recruited over at MSU and may want to see what the roster situation would be in April for the school he chooses. Could actually benefit ISU, the staff will know the roster situation at that point too.

Of course if he already has decided on a school when he decommitted that point is mute.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I would be all for this if our classes were more even. If someone was pushed out it would potentially be a player who would be a Sr next season. Being that there would only be 2 Sr players on next year's team anyways that would in turn leave 1 scholarship open for the 2021 Class. I know there is always movement and rosters are always very fluid. I just don't see it being a good idea in the long run.
If a top 50 player is interested, you pursue him. If he wants to commit, you make room. If Foster and Terry were to commit (with Halliburton going pro), you can definitely find a guy to show the door.

I know it feels dirty, but the guy probably wouldn't get a chance to see the floor.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
How do you know his dad isn't just an involved parent who wants the best for his kid? You part of the recruiting team or something? Fans on message boards always say this type of thing when a kid decommits or commits somewhere else.

Because someone (arctic) that has sources with the basketball program said it. There is definitely a difference between an involved parent and a helicopter parent.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
If a top 50 player is interested, you pursue him. If he wants to commit, you make room. If Foster and Terry were to commit (with Halliburton going pro), you can definitely find a guy to show the door.

I know it feels dirty, but the guy probably wouldn't get a chance to see the floor.
I'm not going to sit and ask you who it would be. But I don't see a player on the roster that wouldn't get a chance to play and the guy that most believe woyld be pushed out will play this year alot.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I'm not going to sit and ask you who it would be. But I don't see a player on the roster that wouldn't get a chance to play and the guy that most believe woyld be pushed out will play this year alot.

Terry would be a program changer at the most important position in college basketball. If he wants to come to Iowa State you do whatever necessary to make it happen.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron