****Official Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread****

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Woodbury was just a tall "tree" who parked himself in the lane.

Foster seems to be a 7'0" with a wingman's style and game.

Other than being tall guys from Iowa, I do not see much similar in their games.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Can some people who are fans of Fosters and believe in his ability to be a top-tier recruit post some highlight videos of his they watch? I've been vocal about how I want Foster but do not think he should be rated as high as he is (he got aided by the size factor early on, and its far easier to shoot up the board than slip down it in prep recruiting). I hope he is as good as advertised, and he chooses ISU and becomes a freak of nature for us, I just haven't seen it in the videos/highlights he has out there to garner this high of a grade. Maybe I'm just missing them.

Happy to have my mind changed.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Can some people who are fans of Fosters and believe in his ability to be a top-tier recruit post some highlight videos of his they watch? I've been vocal about how I want Foster but do not think he should be rated as high as he is (he got aided by the size factor early on, and its far easier to shoot up the board than slip down it in prep recruiting). I hope he is as good as advertised, and he chooses ISU and becomes a freak of nature for us, I just haven't seen it in the videos/highlights he has out there to garner this high of a grade. Maybe I'm just missing them.

Happy to have my mind changed.

Pretty sure this was the summer before his junior season kid was likely 16 years old. 7 feet and athletic.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Here's a 14 minute highlight video of Xavier Foster. Now, he is going against 3A high school players and obviously looks tremendously better than everyone else.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006

Here's a 14 minute highlight video of Xavier Foster. Now, he is going against 3A high school players and obviously looks tremendously better than everyone else.

If he'd been healthy enough to play AAU ball this summer, I suspect his ranking wouldn't have fallen nearly as much. But, if he'd played this summer, we probably would be fighting off a number of much more desirable schools for his services.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I've heard for years how jealous people are of the height and athleticism in Baylors frontcourt. This is the exact recruit Drew has nailed for years on end. We are finally closing in on him and people clamoring that hes overrated. Kids going to be a stud!

Not saying Xavier will translate similarly to college or have equivalent success but reminds me of a very similar prospect as...

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2012/willie-cauley-stein-18985

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I've heard for years how jealous people are of the height and athleticism in Baylors frontcourt. This is the exact recruit Drew has nailed for years on end. We are finally closing in on him and people clamoring that hes overrated. Kids going to be a stud!

Not saying Xavier will translate similarly to college or have equivalent success but reminds me of a very similar prospect as...

I've been saying for some time I am not sold on him, Not as a player, but as a 5-star recruit (which he is no longer). Mostly because of the Height factor that I (and others) have discussed on here that happens in prep recruiting rankings.
Only reason I expressed those feelings are because people on here were reaching a point where they were discussing his impact like Harrison Barnes or Marcus Paige level (other top players in Iowa HS history) where he would be an immediate change to a roster and boost them to a top-25 status. I do think Xavier could be a really good big man. I like that he has not just stuck to the standard Mikan drills and has tried to pull/expand his game out to the 3 point line and to see what he can do with the ball in his hands stretched out wide. He should be doing that against the players he is going against regularly in HS.

Point being, my hold up on him isn't that I don't think he is good enough to play at ISU, or is able to be the next best big man here. It was more the, I don't believe he has it all put together to be such a major impact his freshman year. So we should pump the brakes on the expectations, initially. Obviously it is huge for ISU both talent-wise, and in-state recruiting wise if they would be able to get him.

Apologies if it came across as if I did not want him coming here.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
A lot of people, who have never watched Foster play, know a lot about him.

Well he is in Iowa so I think a lot of people have seen him. I have seen him 4 times. He also has highlight videos on the internet. So you can kind of see his game.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Cauley-Stein is more of a true center. Foster is more of a stretch 4 or even a big 3.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've been saying for some time I am not sold on him, Not as a player, but as a 5-star recruit (which he is no longer). Mostly because of the Height factor that I (and others) have discussed on here that happens in prep recruiting rankings.
Only reason I expressed those feelings are because people on here were reaching a point where they were discussing his impact like Harrison Barnes or Marcus Paige level (other top players in Iowa HS history) where he would be an immediate change to a roster and boost them to a top-25 status. I do think Xavier could be a really good big man. I like that he has not just stuck to the standard Mikan drills and has tried to pull/expand his game out to the 3 point line and to see what he can do with the ball in his hands stretched out wide. He should be doing that against the players he is going against regularly in HS.

Point being, my hold up on him isn't that I don't think he is good enough to play at ISU, or is able to be the next best big man here. It was more the, I don't believe he has it all put together to be such a major impact his freshman year. So we should pump the brakes on the expectations, initially. Obviously it is huge for ISU both talent-wise, and in-state recruiting wise if they would be able to get him.

Apologies if it came across as if I did not want him coming here.
The good thing about Xavier Foster's first year, is that we shouldn't expect him to be all-world. He's going to be surrounded by great talent at the guard and wing position and then 2 solid post players. We'll see how Conditt ends up, but I believe he's going to play up to his potential this year. Xavier having to compete for a position is going to be 10x better than him just getting handed a starting spot.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Solo - He’s very good when healthy. I’ll admit that. Great kid.
Jacobson - good player but he was a transfer that ISU almost passed on
Conditt - potential but let’s not act like he lit the world on fire. 2 ppg
Lard - talented yes but was a fool and they had to babysit him so much. Juice not worth squeeze which is why they told him to leave ISU
Ernst - sucked. Will suck at drake
Kasongo - headcase who sucked
Brase - good kid but I dont know how they thought his aluminum foil knees would last all season
Holden - shocker that a guy who avg 5 ppg in the CUSA wasn’t big 12 talent
Simeon Carter - whiff. Couldn’t stay off the weed.
Thanks for the reply. I think we may be closer to the same opinion than the impression I had. Here's to more success in the future.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The good thing about Xavier Foster's first year, is that we shouldn't expect him to be all-world. He's going to be surrounded by great talent at the guard and wing position and then 2 solid post players. We'll see how Conditt ends up, but I believe he's going to play up to his potential this year. Xavier having to compete for a position is going to be 10x better than him just getting handed a starting spot.
completely agree. I think part of the excitement is that he is an in-state guy and it totally is big for us to land the top players when they are P6 caliber. I would love if he has developed into a legitimate stretch 4, and we could run out a line up with him and Conditt out there. I do think we are a bit of ways from that, and you are correct it's a huge benefit to have players in place so he isn't Forced to jump in and play right away.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10