All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

yikes. That’s enough to disqualify gonzo from ever having a legitimate sports take ever again.

Wonder where ol 3 degrees is to provide his extremely knowledgeable sports background to tackle this one.

Minnesota with a better receivers and talent than Iowa State.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Why should you compare LBs based on stats but not DL?
I didn't say DL. I said NT. Nose tackles don't get stats like DE's or DL. That isn't their function. This has been discussed a million times on here. NT's function is to clog the middle to let others (LB's) make plays. DL are meant to clog middle to some degree, but not to the degree that NT's are.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I didn't say DL. I said NT. Nose tackles don't get stats like DE's or DL. That isn't their function. This has been discussed a million times on here. NT's function is to clog the middle to let others (LB's) make plays. DL are meant to clog middle to some degree, but not to the degree that NT's are.

Ah, so system/scheme matters. So like if one LB played in a very blitz-heavy scheme and another played in a system that rarely ever blitzed and relied more on LBs being good in pass coverage, it'd be kind of silly comparing their sack numbers? Or does that system/scheme thing only apply to NTs?

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Ah, so system/scheme matters. So like if one LB played in a very blitz-heavy scheme and another played in a system that rarely ever blitzed and relied more on LBs being good in pass coverage, it'd be kind of silly trying to compare their sack numbers? Or does that system/scheme thing only apply to NTs?
Trying to say Iowa State is blitz heavy is just objectively wrong. Especially because Vance is used heavily as a QB spy and to cover flats. Just as Iowa's do.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Ah, so system/scheme matters. So like if one LB played in a very blitz-heavy scheme and another played in a system that rarely blitzed and relied more on LBs being good in pass coverage, it'd be kind of silly trying to compare their sack numbers? Or does that system/scheme thing only apply to NTs?
A lot of it is about eye tests, and that's a lot of how the NFL looks at talent too. A player's ability doesn't reflect their stats every single time. However there is a huge difference between a nose tackle's stats and a linebacker's.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
A lot of it is about eye tests, and that's a lot of how the NFL looks at talent too. A player's ability doesn't reflect their stats every single time. However there is a huge difference between a nose tackle's stats and a linebacker's.

So you're saying there's a huge difference between using stats to compare one LB to another, versus comparing an NT to a DT?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So you're saying there's a huge difference between using stats to compare one LB to another, versus comparing an NT to a DT?
No I'm actually agreeing with you on the take that comparing one linebacker's stats to another may not be the most accurate way of saying who's better.. But comparing a NT and a DT, who play different positions is like comparing apples to oranges.