California legalizes college athlete endorsements

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
https://www.koin.com/sports/california-to-let-college-athletes-make-money-defying-ncaa/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Defying the NCAA, California’s governor signed a first-in-the-nation law Monday that will let college athletes hire agents and make money from endorsements — a move that could upend amateur sports in the U.S. and trigger a legal challenge.

Under the law, which takes effect in 2023, students at public and private universities in the state will be allowed to sign deals with sneaker companies, soft drink makers or other advertisers and profit from their names and likenesses, just like the pros.

Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom and others cast the law as an attempt to bring more fairness to big-money college sports and let athletes share in the wealth they create for their schools.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
We will see how this shakes out, but I would think the NCAA can still rule those who take endorsements as ineligible.

I think of it this way - The state of Iowa says you can bet on sports but if the NCAA says that student-athletes can't bet on sports, and a student-athlete bets on sports the NCAA can still rule them ineligible.

Yup. Much like pot in CO. It's legal, but your employer can still fire you for having it in your system.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We will see how this shakes out, but I would think the NCAA can still rule those who take endorsements as ineligible.

I think of it this way - The state of Iowa says you can bet on sports but if the NCAA says that student-athletes can't bet on sports, and a student-athlete bets on sports the NCAA can still rule them ineligible.
They can try to do that, but would face antitrust lawsuits. I don't think the NCAA is going to want to go through that. Extra scrutiny on their business model doesn't bode well for them in this day and age. They're not going to want to run the risk of having their hand forced by a judge.

The most likely outcome is that the NCAA changes their rules to align with this law before it takes effect in 2023. If you look at the quotes from the NCAA board of governors it basically spells it out.

"NCAA board of governors chair Michael Drake told ESPN that the NCAA wants to "evolve" and "modernize" its approach to name, image and likeness rights, but fears that California's bill has the potential to blur an important distinction between professional leagues and amateur college sports.

"We're not the association of the 20th century," Drake said. "We need to make sure we have 21st century rules. We want to continue to change appropriately for the future.""

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-law-fair-pay-play-act

Those are not the words of an organization that is going to fight this tooth and nail. Those are the words of an organization that knows which way the wind is blowing. They're just searching for a way to do it that makes them sounds magnanimous.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
...or, universities could offer them a free-ride education, housing, meal tables, trainers, tutors, free travel, notoriety, fame, etc in exchange for the opportunity to play a game that for some could even turn into a very lucrative career later on. For others, they'll have a degree in hand they can use just like all their non-sport's playing classmates (less the mountain of student loan debt).

Just an idea.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
...or, universities could offer them a free-ride education, housing, meal tables, trainers, tutors, free travel, notoriety, fame, etc in exchange for the opportunity to play a game that for some could even turn into a very lucrative career later on. For others, they'll have a degree in hand they can use just like all their non-sport's playing classmates....

Just an idea.
Gavin Newsom:
DBcUtoo.jpg

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I've long felt athletes should have the opportunity to enter third party contracts. The NCAA refused to accept common sense and now is faced with having to cave on the issue. Other states have similar legislation waiting in the wings.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I've long felt athletes should have the opportunity to enter third party contracts. The NCAA refused to accept common sense and now is faced with having to cave on the issue. Other states have similar legislation waiting in the wings.
Exactly. California is just the beginning. Other states are going to pass similar laws by the time this one takes effect. The bills are already out there. The NCAA knows it.

People who think this isn't going to happen, are either blind or lying to themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and surly

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Do donations go to the high profile athletes and leave the smaller sports and athletes left behind including women?

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If universities end up having trouble finding enough athletes interested in my proposal, then sure, may have to move to do both. I'm not thinking that'll be a problem though.
Your proposal is moot to begin with, though. Like it or not, college athletes are going to be able to profit from their own likeness in the near future. And it's hard to imagine that it's going to come at the expense of scholarships. Schools will still offer them. College sports will go on. The world will keep spinning.

• Useful
  • Disagree
Reactions: cytech and alarson

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Do donations go to the high profile athletes and leave the smaller sports and athletes left behind including women?
I'm not sure that I follow you. What donations are we talking about?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Your proposal is moot to begin with, though. Like it or not, college athletes are going to be able to profit from their own likeness in the near future. And it's hard to imagine that it's going to come at the expense of scholarships. Schools will still offer them. College sports will go on. The world will keep spinning.

I'm not predicting anything. Just commenting on the absurdity of feeling sorry for very privileged college athletes. So many other classes of individuals in this country to be concerned about. Don't have anything left in the tank to have concerned for the privileged few.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones423