Updated MBB roster (weights)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Cyclones.com updated the basketball roster with heights and weights https://cyclones.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball.

I'm always curious to see how everyone progressed. Not a ton of real new info. Biggest takeaways for me were Conditt up to 223 which is great (I think 225-230 is the best slot for him as a rim runner) and Griffin up to 217. It would be great to see Griffin challenge to be in the regular rotation as a small ball forward off the bench. He and Conditt could be a fun pair to watch off the bench together.

Now if only we can get the update on Bolton. Without any inside knowledge, I feel the best roster for us this year would be:

Nixon
Bolton
Haliburton
Jacobsen
Young

Conditt
Jackson
Lewis
Griffin

I think this is the year that Prohm stretches the rotation to 9 - although, I would expect only 10 min/gm or so out of the 9th guy. Don't want to take away anything from the other guys, either. Would love to be proven wrong and have a bunch more competition.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
We haven't seen a healthy Young for 2 years. If he can stay healthy I think he is going to surprise some people. He looked great on the Italy trip.

ISU got eaten alive in the post last year in several games because they had no one like Young. Jacobson tries, but he gets out muscled at times, and tires easily. Made that Iowa guy look like an All-American, which he was far from being.

• Agree
Reactions: pulse

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Why is that?

I like Conditt’s range on help defense, but Young is our best post defender. I don’t see much of a difference on offense

I'm sorry, but Young doesn't really do anything at a high level. He's a big body and won't get pushed around. But he has no offensive game really and is not a shot blocker. Plus he's a liability on pick and roll. Conditt has a similar offensive game, but he can block shots and is a better perimeter defender.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Only two decent size post players, and Jacobson got eaten alive by any decent opposing post presence last year. I guess I'm expecting the post to be a sieve again this year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
SY
Jake
Conditt

Those all would qualify for me as “decent size post players”. And I’m not sure you’d want any more than that in a P5 rotation.
Good till you run into a 6'9" 275 pound behemoth in the first round of the tournament