Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That's a good point. I wonder if we're eventually going to get to a point where either virtually everyone is guilty for things they said when they were kids or we're going to collectively decide that social media history just doesn't really matter anymore except for the truly egregious stuff or if it was posted after an age where one should know better.
Or maybe it's a generational thing where we just happen to be in a period of time when parts of the population had access to social media before they fully understood the long term ramifications of what they put out there. I don't know. All I know is I'm grateful for message board anonymity and that I grew up pre-smartphones and social media.
I think you’re optimistic about the call-out culture that the DMR was trying to profit from.

It’s a game of out-doing each other, detached from actual anything about the alleged transgressions, assuming there is even anything there at all. Imo it’s not generational as much as it is society learning to deal with the new ways of human group interaction that technology has facilitated. You see it here with people so eager to (preemptively) call-out meltdown posts that often can be similar to something they’ve posted. They are actually melting down in attempt to call out meltdowns.

That said, the younger demographics were the first to use that technology.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Also ESPN just posted a story about Carson's tweets but doesn't mention the DMR reporter's tweets

I can see that - they don't really want to publicize those who report on issues getting researched, as that opens up their own reporters to the same treatment. Maybe not noble, but practical.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Are you serious? A race to the bottom isn’t one to enter and win.

The odds that someone else would have tried to exploitatively monetize off this is not a justification for the DMR. They were looking for a way to generate revenue off this, at all costs.

They chose to capitalize on pathetic call-out culture without having anything to actually call out. It reeks of desperation and they have should pay for such a lack of professionalism.

Media outlets continue to behave like tabloids and wonder why it's reflected by their circulation numbers. This is a disaster for the DMR and there's nobody to blame but them.

I think there is a market for a consistently reliable newspaper of record in Iowa (or anywhere really) but it would require a level of professionalism and accountability from top to bottom that is in such short supply it is easily swallowed up by the garbage and stands no chance of becoming a consistent thing.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Lots of tweets for someone two time zones behind to wade through - did the reporter get canned for his past transgressions on Twitter?

Not yet. Could be the DMR's next move - either that or a suspension. As best I can tell they're on lockdown right now, probably trying to formulate a response that doesn't put them deeper in the hole they're already in.

• Friendly
Reactions: mywayorcyway

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Cancel culture strikes again, and predictably creates a wave of backlash.

It seems the editors at corporate news are coached to publish headlines and stories that drive clicks. They knew exactly what they were doing by including this information in the story.

That's why I don't read the newspaper: because it's garbage. And the editor that let it come out is garbage. - Mike Gundy

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Not yet. Could be the DMR's next move - either that or a suspension. As best I can tell they're on lockdown right now, probably trying to formulate a response that doesn't put them deeper in the hole they're already in.

Hopefully their response is that an editor and reporter are no longer employed.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
National news and hits. Once they fire these people in a public way, in 3 weeks no one will remember this, just like everything else in this world.

But they limit how many articles you can read w/o a sub. Do you think readers from out of state are going to click on their story, be enthralled with the 10 free articles they get and become a lifelong subscriber of the DMR? They should be worried about their own staffs tweets, "we stand by our racist reporter" is going to be a rough look for them if his tweets go national.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I have no idea how anyone will be a politician or celebrity when everyone who grew up with Twitter and Snapchat are old enough to be president.

Watch this documentary. This is how.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

MV5BMWQ4MzI2ZDQtYjk3MS00ODdjLTkwN2QtOTBjYzIwM2RmNzgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_SX676_AL_.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

It seems the editors at corporate news are coached to publish headlines that drive clicks. They knew exactly what they were doing by including this information in the story.

That's why I don't read the newspaper: because it's garbage. And the editor that let it come out is garbage. - Mike Gundy

I take it you didn't see the headline.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

It seems the editors at corporate news are coached to publish headlines and stories that drive clicks. They knew exactly what they were doing by including this information in the story.

Heard (third hand) that the Register hired this guy after working at Buzzfeed? If that's true, not surprising since that's their exact business model at Buzzfeed.

• Winner
Reactions: mynameisjonas

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I hope they respond by making fun of all the outraged snowflakes.
Me too. I’d love to see the DMR keep shedding subscriptions until they fold.

It’s with great pleasure that a crappy publication that tried to profit off call-out culture is suffering damage from that call-out culture.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing