ULM...info

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What I have read from the ULM side agrees with this. They believe Purdy will have time to find targets because of a lack of pass rush and ISU's defense can slow down ULM. But, they believe ISU's offense has shown no "pop" so far, so the game will still be in question at the beginning of the 4th quarter. No, I don't have a link, just found through google.
I would use an analogy that our offense is like a volcano steaming but waiting to erupt. Maybe that's a bit aggressive, but we've shown we can move the ball, but can we now put up points to show for it? That's the true question.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Scheduled as an easy win. Except nobody told the other team. We got lucky vs. UNI. Unlucky vs Iowa. The hope is we can stop relying on luck and just kick the crap out of them. I don't see it though. Guessing a 9 point game after we score late to put it out of reach.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm trying to figure out how the O/U is 55.5 - what am I missing. After the FSU game, they put up 31 against Grambling and 28 vs ULL. This will be the best defense they see. Plus the weather conditions and the fact that we haven't scored more than 20 in regulation yet.
I think it’s pretty easy. Our offense scores 40+ on a terrible defense, and the defense chips in a couple of scores off turnovers. There’s your over, right there.

Reactions: Yorel Fusspucker

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
They run a spread offense with a mobile QB (not as shifty as UNI's). I watched both of their games and their primary means of running the football resembles ours. They run a zone read / inside zone a lot so Ray Lima plugging up the holes and taking on double teams will help our linebackers fill the gaps. Their bread and butter on offense seems to be their zone read / inside zone, so we'll be seeing that a lot.

Their QB has a weird hitch in his throw after watching the two games, and he seems to not always make the smartest throw. There were a few of them in both games that should've been picked off but only one was. As far as passing scheme they threw a lot to the edges and also ran a couple of fake screen wheel routes, so staying home on those and playing a safety over the top to pick that off will be something to look at.

Their defense let Grambling State run for 243 yards and FSU for 219 yards so it doesn't look like their run defense is that good, but we'll see. James Blackmon is not the best QB so it's TBD how good their pass defense is.
Man I really want to see an ISU interception.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I just want to see us methodically drive the whole field and score a TD or two, even more than one or two huge splash plays.

I'd love to see us put together 2 or 3 complete, normal, 70+ yard marches down the field. What I don't want to see if get past the 50 a couple times, then do nothing with them.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I hope we ****ing pound it. Especially if it's muddy. Their defensive front is one of the smallest we've seen in awhile. There should be no excuse for not getting significant push up front.

DE ~ Donald Louis Jr 6'3" 262
NT ~ Larance Shaw 5'11" 285
DT ~ Mason Husmann 6'4" 265
DE ~ Kerry Starks 6'2" 235

Definitely the smallest DL in a long time, much smaller than UNI. We should be able to get a lot of push and dominate the LOS, even with a wet field.

Last edited:

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
CMC stated that ULM will be the most athletic team we have faced yet. That certainly gives us reason to have some concern. I think we definitely had better not come into this game thinking all we have to do is show up and play Football 101 and get an easy win, which is how we appeared to approach the UNI game. Something about CMC teams, we never seem to have a mentality to go destroy the other team. Win by 40! No, we just don't do that.

ULMArrowhead

Aug 7, 2019
Definitely the smalled OL in a long time, much smaller than UNI. We should be able to get a lot of push and dominate the LOS, even with a wet field.

That’s our D-line, not O-line. O-line is pretty good sized. We play a smaller faster D-line with beefed up former speed DE’s. Have a couple bigger gap filler than come in on short distances in some situations.

Reactions: jdcyclone19

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Ball security and scoring TDs will be key for isu..

ULM defense is an aggressive oftenv tines blitzing defense that isn’t very good up front..

I just pray it’s not a downpour bc that can really negate some advantages for isu imo..

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
That’s our D-line, not O-line. O-line is pretty good sized. We play a smaller faster D-line with beefed up former speed DE’s. Have a couple bigger gap filler than come in on short distances in some situations.

Yes, thanks for the correction dang autocorrect.

Help Support Us

Become a patron