Pollard: big announcement coming soon

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
If they sell alcohol in the stadium then something has to give, guess what that is tailgating time. It baffles me that fans would rather spend $8-10 for a beer in the stadium to only have 3-4 hours of tailgating time. They know the tailgating is what is special about ISU and don't want to mess with that portion.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If they sell alcohol in the stadium then something has to give, guess what that is tailgating time. It baffles me that fans would rather spend $8-10 for a beer in the stadium to only have 3-4 hours of tailgating time. They know the tailgating is what is special about ISU and don't want to mess with that portion.
I don’t see selling alcohol and tailgating as mutually exclusive as you’re making it. Is buying a beer at the game really an either/or with getting there early to tailgate?

It’s doubtful selling booze for 3 quarters impacts tailgating duration at all imo. It may keep more people in their seats though.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
I don’t see selling alcohol and tailgating as mutually exclusive as you’re making it. Is buying a beer at the game really an either/or with getting there early to tailgate?

It’s doubtful selling booze for 3 quarters impacts tailgating duration at all imo. It may keep more people in their seats though.

Pollard has also indicated that the tailgating is why they don't need to have alcohol in all of the stadium. The public safety officials would not be in support of this and would be in favor of shortening the tailgate time if alcohol is served in the stadium.

Yes there are other factors such as pricing, staffing, the concessions to support it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
So this doesn't seem to be mentioned yet. I thought that the rec lots were off limits and they had already started renovating them. I never bought that as that ground is just too valuable for football / AD.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Pollard has also indicated that the tailgating is why they don't need to have alcohol in all of the stadium. The public safety officials would not be in support of this and would be in favor of shortening the tailgate time if alcohol is served in the stadium.
Of course he has, that doesn’t mean selling alcohol will compromise the tailgating scene.

Public safety officials currently do not support the type of tailgating you’re worried about curtailing and are in favor of shortening it regardless of alcohol sales.
They aren’t changing when the gates open because beer is sold during game.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The bar and restaurant idea is awesome on paper and horrible if you have to find actual people to run everything. Without heavy, heavy subsidies by athletics a bar and restaurant setup will never work. The location is awful for 300 days each year. Phenomenal on game days...awful otherwise.

I don't think 90% of people have an idea of how tough bars/restaurants are to make profitable.

Could this work in Austin? Most definitely: great weather year round, huge metropolitan area. Ames? Oh boy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The bar and restaurant idea is awesome on paper and horrible if you have to find actual people to run everything. Without heavy, heavy subsidies by athletics a bar and restaurant setup will never work. The location is awful for 300 days each year. Phenomenal on game days...awful otherwise.
There are a lot of events that most people have no idea exist.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

This was my first instinct too, but if you're talking about a hotel, revamped/added convention space, potentially some residential in there...you've got a lot more traffic to fill those other 300 days.

But, that's what the feasibility study is for.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There are a lot of events that most people have no idea exist.
There certainly are but most university events are during the week. Bars and restaurants 99% of the time don't do their best business during the week. Friday and Saturday (Sunday to a lesser extent) have to be great to make up for the dead time during the weekdays.

How do you get traffic in the middle of the summer when everything is on Duff? The traffic that's closest (students) are gone for the summer and even if they're around they're the group with the least disposable income and the group that will make the area look like **** immediately if you tailor it to them so they're out.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The more I think about it, the more sold I am on the idea. I'm excited to see some renderings to be able to better visualize this.

One thing that I do know sounds awesome is having this type of facility available and within walking distance for, say, an 8 o clock Big Monday tip against Kansas. You think Hilton is rowdy now, wait until they put several bars within walking distance.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Imagine what it must be like to be a restaurant or bar owner in Ames and read that press release. You basically exist to serve a university town and now that university has decided to compete directly with you. At first glance this doesn't seem like a great thing for city/university relations.

Another thought: what is the taxation on something like this? The university already has no property taxes and pays no sales tax on its purchases. How does that work in a development like this?

Another thought: presumably this whole thing will have to be elevated to take it out of the flood plain. How much extra pressure does that put on Duff when a 1993 or 2010 happens?

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
While short on details right now, I think this will ultimately be a huge positive. Awesome that Wintersteen is willing to delegate authority for projects like this.

Reactions: FinalFourCy