Post your favorite Hawkeye story...

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
That's not true. I'll start.

Hayden Fry began wearing the shades, grew a moustache and wore a hat as a disguise, embarrassed he ballooned to 280 pounds. He kept the look after he lost the weight but found no one cared who he was and only recognized him by the disguise.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
1982 (or 83?) I went to Iowa City and stayed with a friend who's a hawk. Somewhere along the way I got drunk and stole a fire extinguisher (the water kind) from a dorm and laid waste to many things as I careened down the hallway. Later on I remember someone throwing a TV off the roof of my friends dorm (Pioneer or Pilgrim or something like that???) which exploded on the ground.

Good times..... Good times.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
That's not true. I'll start.

Hayden Fry began wearing the shades, grew a moustache and wore a hat as a disguise, embarrassed he ballooned to 280 pounds. He kept the look after he lost the weight but found no one cared who was and only recognized him wearing the disguise.

1982 (or 83?) I went to Iowa City and stayed with a friend who's a hawk. Somewhere along the way I got drunk and stole a fire extinguisher (the water kind) from a dorm and laid waste to many things as I careened down the hallway. Later on I remember someone throwing a TV off the roof of my friends dorm (Pioneer or Pilgrim or something like that???) which exploded on the ground.

Good times..... Good times.

Wait ... are this supposed to be fake stories? Is this one?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is 100% true:

When I was playing football we used to practice some across University in the intramural fields. One day after practice the entire team was standing along University waiting to cross over to the Jacobson Building. A car comes flying by, windows rolled down and the driver screaming Go Hawks! Then WHAMMMMMMMMMMMM, he rear ended the car stopped in front of him. The entire team laughs and coach Mac says "Couldn't have happened to a better *******".

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
200w.webp

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I got super duper high with Chris Kingsbury after a Hawkeye game when I was visiting a friend in Iowa City and they just got done with a game. We were walking down by the Frats and the cops stopped and started talking to us and they ask if we were drunk. Kingsbury just said no we just got done playing basketball. The cop walking away just shook his head and told the other cop "They are not drunk, but Kingsbury is high as a kite again". They got in the cop car and drove off.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Cy-Hawk weekend 1998, I was at a church camp in Eastern Iowa wearing a cyclone swirly-bird t-shirt. A bunch of Hawk trolls decided to corner me in the bathroom and tell me how great Jared DeVries was and how they were going to destroy ISU for the 16th straight year. One dude grabbed me by the shirt and ripped it before I could get the **** out of there.

The next day was interesting. After ISU's 27-9 thrashing of the Hawks, I duct tapped my t-shirt and wore it proudly around camp. None of those squawks would make eye contact with me.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
I got super duper high with Chris Kingsbury after a Hawkeye game when I was visiting a friend in Iowa City and they just got done with a game. We were walking down by the Frats and the cops stopped and started talking to us and they ask if we were drunk. Kingsbury just said no we just got done playing basketball. The cop walking away just shook his head and told the other cop "They are not drunk, but Kingsbury is high as a kite again". They got in the cop car and drove off.
This is absolute crap and I hope nobody believes it.

Kingsbury was most certainly drunk as well.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This is absolute crap and I hope nobody believes it.

Kingsbury was most certainly drunk as well.

We were later in the night but like he said. He walked to our apartment from the game and got high, then we were on our way to a party. Then he got drunk

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Retelling but for the 2005 game I went to a bar in CR with a bunch of Hawkeye friends.

I didn't say much before because I didn't expect much, and really didn't say much during the game but I was easily the only ISU fan in there, as when something good for ISU happened, I was the only person clapping in the whole place while everyone else just grumbled while they watched another national title fade away.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Sorry to see the effects of Bud so early today. My story is a fun fake romp. The responses were, I gather, true.
Actually I did some of this back in the mid-70s in Wilson Hall. Dropped bowling balls instead of TV sets however.

Reactions: SpokaneCY