JAY JORDAN: UNI film review

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That’s not bad, but odd following throwing on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 at midfield the series before
When you start the drive at your own 9 yard line with 1:30 on the clock, you rarely take shots down the field. You run the ball and maybe you bounce one for 20+ yards, and then you take a shot.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Well, if you don't count the TD that got called back.

By the way, on that play, what did people see? I missed the replay but a guy in our section said the replay showed the O-Lineman pancake blocking his guy with his hands inside and it wasn't a hold. Anyone want to comment or post a clip?

Most fans in Jack Trice could watch a player take a 2x4 to someone, and wonder why there's a flag.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

By the way, on that play, what did people see? I missed the replay but a guy in our section said the replay showed the O-Lineman pancake blocking his guy with his hands inside and it wasn't a hold. Anyone want to comment or post a clip?
It was ticky tack. Especially, when observing Lima being held by two UNI o-lineman towards the end of the game.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
From what I recollect, it wasn’t a pancake block, but you are correct that he did have his hands inside. He just held on slightly too long once the play developed past the line. It didn’t have an effect on the play and wasn’t a “hold” until Purdy was well into the secondary. It could have (should have) been a no call in my biased opinion.

Newell was grabbing him around the shoulders. He wasn't bear hugging him or anything, but clearly had a handful of jersey and shoulder pad and didn't really have his hands inside. Still it only gets called once Purdy cuts to the outside and the DL tries to disengage. Live I thought it was quite a ways from the play and no way the UNI DL would be a factor in the play, but seeing the replay, he tries to disengage and the takedown begins while Purdy is still behind Newell. While it would've been a great play by the DL, I don't think we can say he would not have had an influence on the play had the hold not occurred. And it was most definitely a hold.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

This one doesn't show a replay, so you have to look quickly.

Reactions: isutrevman

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Great take! Interestingly, Heacock on TV was irate about the first McDonald play at one of the players. Wonder whom and why. I suspect, not forcing the quarterback back and out instead of up and out.

I can remember two different times in the first half when we had the QB running horizontally and a LB was in pursuit. On both occasions the LB dove to try to make the sack and missed instead of keeping pursuit and either forcing the QB to either throw it away, force it, or just run out of bounds. Both plays resulted in positive yards for UNI. This is nitpicking though, our defense played great!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Campbell is conservative by nature. It's going to cause us to lose a game every now and then, but it'll keep us in most games and steal a few wins we otherwise might not have had. We started on the 9-10 yard line that drive, its not like we had field position in our favor.
We need improvements in the nuanced difference between conservative ball-control and limited imo. I’d hope we’re able to be conservative when beneficial, and open things up when not.

One could argue we weren’t “ball control ” enough on Saturday, if we’re also not going to fully utilize our personnel:
-Ball control would have run on 3rd and 1 the series prior, or at least pinned them down with a punt had 4th down still occurred. Likely getting the ball back near midfield.
-conservative would not have passed 41 times when the running backs were getting 4.5 ypc and Purdy had space to take off. You pass that many times without giving the DEs something to think about, and something bad is going to happen.
-often missing out on field position on punt returns, particularly when going for the block. That’s not conservative or ball control, that’s being limited.

Do we have the kicker and/or ST we need for this approach?

What games have we benefited from the offense going completely limited? Perhaps TCU, but that’s dependent on the false dilemma that the best the offense can do is to not completely **** the defense.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

This one doesn't show a replay, so you have to look quickly.

At 3:05 is the big sack everyone is talking about. JGJ blocks down, avoiding the DE. There is a run fake, and the RB runs right past the rushing DE. Knipfel is pulling to pick up the DE, gets there in time to just make contact, but the DE does a good job ripping through. I think either the RB needs to chip the DE before releasing to slow him down, and/or Purdy needs to move to the right to pull the DE into Knipfel.

At 4:30 is the Knipfel helmet penalty. At 4:44, you can see his helmet pop off while in the pile. That's okay, no penalty yet. At 4:46, the pile is past him and he's getting off the ground. By 4:48 he's back pushing the pile, sans helmet. That's the penalty. He was fine until he got back in the play.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
When you start the drive at your own 9 yard line with 1:30 on the clock, you rarely take shots down the field. You run the ball and maybe you bounce one for 20+ yards, and then you take a shot.
All set up by the poor decisions the series before.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can remember two different times in the first half when we had the QB running horizontally and a LB was in pursuit. On both occasions the LB dove to try to make the sack and missed instead of keeping pursuit and either forcing the QB to either throw it away, force it, or just run out of bounds. Both plays resulted in positive yards for UNI. This is nitpicking though, our defense played great!

I thought the Dline and blitzing backers many times got too far upfield which resulted in UNI's QB to flush out and get an advantage on his angles. It was almost like they didn't expect to get there so soon/easily and didn't break down to make the play, and by then he was running all over.

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
All good points from Jay.

To an extent, I'm trying to understand CMC's perspective of being conservative. Keep guys healthy. Find out if his guys can execute basic gameplans. Not wanting to show opponents too much....

But the more I've thought about it, I don't like it. First, it almost cost us the game.
Purdy could also get injured being a statue in the pocket (hit his hand on a helmet, get a shoulder driven into the ground, get rolled up on). Why would you limit one of his greatest assets of making plays with his feet? I hope they don't do that all season. Shouldn't you be more concerned about what your team can and cannot do on the field, rather than trying to hide potential film from an opponent?]

Yes I agree. I’ve been making similar points on here ad nauseam about rigid coaching strategy. Like I’ve said CMC comes out with a sound gameplan and apparently won’t get off it or isn’t prepared to. Reading between the lines I suspect JJ agrees with us but he has to keep his criticism very tepid

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We are conditioned to require scoring to be happy because we play in the Big 12. But the more I think about the UNI game, the more I'm okay with the conservative offensive game plan. UNI couldn't do **** against our defense. Their offense scored 6 points in regulation (3 of which was on a 50 yard FG). I wish we would have been more aggressive in the second half, but all in all, it was clear Campbell was leaving this game in the hands of the defense.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
What’s fun about this supercut is that you get to see the pattern of the linemen’s feet during pass plays and run plays. Keeping that in mind, I thought there were three yards from scrimmage that a lineman could go, yet on two pass plays in overtime, UNI had linemen well beyond the three. Do refs see that a qb is just throwing it away and not flag them for illegal man down field? Also it seems that they run a timed quick route and the linemen immediately go down field but when the pass is delayed or busted they are beyond the three and should be flagged.