"I'm a big Iowa fan, but I..."

Do you:

• Accept and encourage it, because it's nice to have more fans cheering for ISU in any capacity

Votes: 30 28.3%
  • Laugh because you know "more fun and exciting" = "I want to cheer for the better program"

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Tell them they're idiots because ISU football is 1000x more fun and exciting than Iowa football

Votes: 29 27.4%

• Total voters

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
...like ISU basketball more, because it's just more fun and exciting."

You've all met dozens of these people. I just met another one last night and it made me wonder how everyone else reacts to them. Do you:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I work with a few people in Ames that are Iowa homers but get ISU season tickets.

I don’t care too much because we can take all the fans we can get and it’s their money they’re giving us.

Worst was living in Southwest Iowa - I’ll never forget being amazed at how BIG Nebraska football was, it was all anyone talked about in the Fall. Then after a rough start to the season, you didn’t hear about Nebraska football on the news or in the papers, it was all Creighton basketball...until their season was going bad and Scott Frost was hired, and you never heard about Creighton basketball

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Usually just start pointing and yelling, “*****...*****!”

Well that’s how I like to imagine how it would go if ever happened. I do know Hawk fans who cheer for ISU basketball, but not over the Hawks.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm a Big Iowa Fan, But I... just moved my daughter into her dorm at ISU a little over a week ago, met some great fellow parents who are ISU grads and am really, really glad she's there.

giphy.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I heard an Iowa fan utter the 'I cheer for ISU when they're not playing Iowa' crap this summer and it was done in a way that that sounds like they're doing ISU fans a favor.

I DO have a friend that seems to genuinely like ISU's bball but that's pretty rare.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm a Big Iowa Fan, But I... just moved my daughter into her dorm at ISU a little over a week ago, met some great fellow parents who are ISU grads and am really, really glad she's there.

giphy.gif
Is this like a rival's confessional thread? I have friends at work that are hawk fans that I like and I am genuinely happy for them when Iowa does well.

Reactions: khardbored

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

giphy.gif

You probably followed Woodbury’s lead and were completely decked out in hawk garb.

• Funny
Reactions: CysRage

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

giphy.gif

I impress a lot of people.

Kinda refreshing to be around people who weren’t related before they were married, I’m sure your daughter will appreciate that mostly. :)

• Funny
Reactions: g4ce

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Seriously? I'm a teacher and I have ISU posters all over my room. Every year there are 5 or so parents that say this at meet-and-greets or conferences. I guess I assumed this was a pretty common occurrence.

It’s them trying to kiss your butt so you don’t flunk jimmy.

Youngest got braces today. I like the dentist who put them on. He told me he got the red and yellow Iowa state braces on. Smiled and then apologized that he went to Iowa. Said he only went there because ISU doesn’t have a dental program.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
After they get over the shock of finding someone in E. Iowa that's NOT automatically a Hok fan I get the "I cheer for Iowa State when they're not playing Iowa" thing A LOT. It always seems kind of condescending to me. I don't say much because I know in my heart I hate the Hoks and wish they'd lose every game they play.

I have occasionally said, "I hate the hawks. I know it's not good to hate. I'm not proud of it, but it is a 100% accurate word in this case."