All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
I would think that the optimism comes from the fact that all those guys come back and have had the entire off-season to fine tune their mistakes and continue to get better. There wasn't a complete overhaul with new guys coming in, which I think would have been more concerning than everyone coming back. There were some games where our O-line did a very good job, and I think having Purdy back there with his mobility helped with him taking hits / sacks.

Returning all of the guys from an OL that was 5x worse than Iowa's isnt a good thing, IMO.

• Dumb
Reactions: JP4CY and IASTATE07

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Returning all of the guys from an OL that was 5x worse than Iowa's isnt a good thing, IMO.
Our O-line rounded out to be alright but still has things to work on. The hype is because everyone returns and the rumblings is that they've all gotten better and are a cohesive unit. I would say returning everyone on the offensive line from an 8-5 team is a good thing rather than losing everyone and starting from scratch.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

For starters we should have everyone playing in position from the get go this year... I would definitely expect to see Iowa States o-line take a nice step in the right direction this year and I don't think that it is being overly optimistic.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Tweet wasn't loading for me but I assume this has something to do with this years Nathan's Hot dog eating contest?
PFF ranked starting quarterbacks for every team.

Nate came in at 51:

51. IOWA: NATE STANLEY
Lower than some would expect, Stanley just doesn’t have the PFF grades that warrant the kind of hype he’s received in terms of the 2020 NFL Draft. He finished last year with a career-low grade despite throwing for 26 touchdowns for the second consecutive season. In a clearer example of his play on the field, Stanley actually had eight more touchdowns than big-time throws and five fewer interceptions than he had turnover-worthy plays. Still, Stanley wins more often than not and should once again keep the Hawkeyes in contention for the Big Ten once again.

Brock came in at 8:

8. IOWA STATE: BROCK PURDY
Had it not been for Trevor Lawrence, Purdy may be the most polarizing true sophmore quarterback in the country, Still, his effort in the backfield for the Cyclones and his 89.3 overall grade is the second-highest we’ve ever given to a true freshman quarterback (behind Lawrence). He was solid in every outing, save for a tuneup game against Drake in Week 14 last year, and performed well from a clean pocket and with pressure applied. Year 2’s expectations are sky-high in Ames for this bright young signal-caller.

Reactions: Brandon

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Our O-line rounded out to be alright but still has things to work on. The hype is because everyone returns and the rumblings is that they've all gotten better and are a cohesive unit. I would say returning everyone on the offensive line from an 8-5 team is a good thing rather than losing everyone and starting from scratch.

You literally said that ISU's OL was 5x worse than Iowa's last year and now it "rounded out to be alright"?

That is 2 completely different takes.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You literally said that ISU's OL was 5x worse than Iowa's last year and now it "rounded out to be alright"?

That is 2 completely different takes.
Look. Obviously Iowa's offensive line wasn't 5x better because that's incredibly hard to even dictate. David Montgomery had some help from his offensive line, but most of his big plays were because of his skill and willpower, not because he had huge holes to run through. I also was trying to give some credit at the same time to the O-line, saying they did improve.

JohnnyHopkins

Aug 13, 2019
A little birdie told me if Wirfs and Jackson can get over their off the field issues and if Jackson can improve in his run blocking they can be the best tackle duo in the country. A couple big if's but still
Strange. A little birdie told me if Iowa State's entire line can get over their on the field issues, Purdy might make it out of the season alive.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hearing it will be hard to keep Darren Wilson off the All Iowa team by the end of the year
He could very well be the most rounded out WR out of everyone.. We'll have to see how he does. He's 6'3" with tons of speed and that's hard to come by. Although we don't have Hakeem, the entirety of the WR's might be better than what we had last year. Our TE's are very good as well, and I've been hearing that Hall is the real deal and could end up starting sooner rather than later. Purdy's sure going to have a lot of weapons to play with.

Help Support Us

Become a patron