Real Estate Agents

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm looking to sell my house pretty soon but I have excellent knowledge of the local market and want to experience the process from a sales point of view. One thing the buyers of my house are not getting is a bunch of crap they want fixed. That will be upfront in my documents. I'll tell what it is and isn't and they can take it or leave it. The house isn't for everyone, as it has secret rooms that only lock from the outside and underground transport tunnels.

WHOA?!?!?!

• Agree
Reactions: 3TrueFans

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
For those of you that have sold recently & used an agent, any luck with negotiating off the 6% mark?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I recently sold my Des Moines house on contract with no agent. I works out great, the buyer is paying me $XX per month which is more than my current monthly payment so we just apply the entire payment from him to our loan. Loan will be paid off in 9 years and the contract is 15 years, so the $XX per month for 6 years is cash in my pocket.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Some realtors provide a lot of value. Some provide very little.

I think it depends a lot on how much work you want them to do, vs DIY - and your own ability to do said DIY. Do you know how to figure a good market price? Can you deal with the legal docs?

It also depends a lot on how hard your house will be to sell. A good starter home is going to sell itself, but if you have something bigger or problematic, that can be different. Having someone set a strategy can be good.

The beef I have is the %-based commission. It's not 3x the level of effort to sell a $300k home vs a $100k home. It ought to be more of a fee-based system. I think over time, places like FSBO will chip away at the semi-monopoly service that realtors provide, and they will have to compete on cost more directly.

Example:
my home is currently for sale. I put a lot of effort and cost into making it ready, and used a realtor, because it has some funky things. She priced it a bit high (I thought), but it sold the first weekend for almost the full ask price. So that's great. BUT the commission was going to be over $20k!! For appx 4 hours of work on her part. That's insane.

Not related to her, but the buyer cancelled the following week (forfeited escrow cash even) because he had the school district wrong. So it's back on the market. Bummer. Sadly she is putting in some more hours...

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
All new flooring? Do you think you got a return on that money?

Yes. We had the wood floors refinished, and carpets in bedrooms replaced. Was about $4,500 all together. House looked like it was new construction. Even now in hot markets people want move in ready, and pay more for it.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The realtors seem to do less and less too. I think most of agencies have a specific person whose job it is to manage private showings and the realtor just gets a report or whatever.

We have friends that are selling their house right now and are motivated to sell. She mentioned today that some board or something with their agency had to approve each price drop.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
1. I guess if you're unemployed and/or have a ton of time, sell a house yourself. But if you have a job/kids/friends/(*&^ to do, I say a good realtor is a no brainer and totally worth it!

2. Pocket listings are great. I'm not going to do an open house, put pics on the internet, list on the mls, blah blah blah. just give me a fair/market price in 1-10 days and that's the way to go.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
For those of you that have sold recently & used an agent, any luck with negotiating off the 6% mark?

Yes. I got my agent to do 5% with the agreement that my next purchase would come thru her ( i was looking at moving out of my condo and into a house ).

Certainly was well worth the cost - between staging, documents, and negotiation. Not to say i couldn't handle some of that, but certainly made it easier.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
1. I guess if you're unemployed and/or have a ton of time, sell a house yourself.

For 10 grand+ i think one can find ways to make time. Like it'd probably even be worth taking some time off from work unpaid (so long as it didnt cost the job, of course). You're potentially saving months worth of income.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
For 10 grand+ i think one can find ways to make time. Like it'd probably even be worth taking some time off from work unpaid (so long as it didnt cost the job, of course). You're potentially saving months worth of income.

So let's see, you are going to take time off of work every time someone wants to look at your house because saying you will only show it on your schedule is going to turn buyers away, time to let their appraiser come to appraise your house, time for their inspector to come through your house, time to answer questions from them or their realtor, time for them to do a final walk through, hmm... sounds like a lot of time off to me.

Also, are you going to follow-up with everyone that looks at your home and get their opinion of why they didn't come back? Are you ready to open a bank account to hold their deposit check? Are you willing to work on the time frame of the inspector, appraiser, etc. who want to come during normal business hours when it fits their schedule?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I never said it would be easy nor do I think real estate agents are irrelevant, but I am curious if others have done the process themselves. Paying a large sum of money ($10,000+) seems steep for a commission. It’s kind of like the yard care for dummies thread—-you could pay a lot of money to have somebody else take care of your yard but why not do the same thing yourself?

It reminds me of that episode of The Office when Dwight refuses to tip the food delivery guy and says “why would I tip for something I’m fully capable of doing myself? I do, however, tip my urologist as I’m unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.”

Always take care of your urologist, proctologist AND barber...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So let's see, you are going to take time off of work every time someone wants to look at your house because saying you will only show it on your schedule is going to turn buyers away, time to let their appraiser come to appraise your house, time for their inspector to come through your house, time to answer questions from them or their realtor, time for them to do a final walk through, hmm... sounds like a lot of time off to me.

Also, are you going to follow-up with everyone that looks at your home and get their opinion of why they didn't come back? Are you ready to open a bank account to hold their deposit check? Are you willing to work on the time frame of the inspector, appraiser, etc. who want to come during normal business hours when it fits their schedule?

For $10k+? That makes a huge reason to make all that work.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You guys all forget that most buyers seem to be dead broke and now demand, and get, 5-6% of their closing costs handed to them by the sellers. Getting crazy. Seen houses go for 10k more than asking and get a 15k kickback for closing costs.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
To be clear if the commission is 6% the buyers agent is getting 3% with some going to their company and the selling agent is getting 2.5% with their company getting .5%

I negotiated down to 5% with my agent which he was fine with cause he got paid on the house we purchased.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

This is absolute worst case scenario. We just sold in June, this was our experience:

1) We did not decline a single showing, but ~90% of them were either weekday after 4pm, or on a weekend = no time off.
2) Inspector & appraiser did not require us to be home. For anyone with a digital doorknob, or garage keypad = no time off.
3) Our realtor gave us next to zero feedback (said even when he regularly follows up with realtors, they rarely provide any). The little feedback we did receive was about things we would never change anyway, so feedback was worthless.
4) You do not need to open a bank account to hold a $500 deposit check. If a buyer really wants to be stringent on that, you can hire a 3rd party for well under $10k.

You're over-exaggerating big time.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Saw a home for sale in Ames that is owned by a former top ISU executive. Guess who is listing it?

Gene Johnson, realtor to the coaches!

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY