Friday 5: Music docs/biopics

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This is coming out this summer. Looks highly entertaining. Could potentially move into my top 5.

https://www.yesterdaymovie.com/

Saw this movie earlier today. Mostly positive, entertaining, and of course the soundtrack is good. Sometimes doesn't know if it wants to be a rom-com with Beatles music as a backdrop, or expand on the alternate-reality potential of its fantasy premise. Has some fun with the latter, doesn't take the premise too seriously.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Saw this movie earlier today. Mostly positive, entertaining, and of course the soundtrack is good. Sometimes doesn't know if it wants to be a rom-com with Beatles music as a backdrop, or expand on the alternate-reality potential of its fantasy premise. Has some fun with the latter, doesn't take the premise too seriously.

I really liked it, and was able to get past the total illogical premise of how the world forgot or never knew the Beatles existed. But barely. And it still bothers me they couldn't come up with a better premise than he got hit by a bus and the power went off. Weak.

But again, I did really LIKE it overall.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I really liked it, and was able to get past the total illogical premise of how the world forgot or never knew the Beatles existed. But barely. And it still bothers me they couldn't come up with a better premise than he got hit by a bus and the power went off. Weak.

But again, I did really LIKE it overall.

I allowed myself to ride along with the power-outage setup, but the movie didn't refer to it much afterward or weave it back into the story, which could have been a useful element, either interspersed along the way or (semi-spoiler) maybe a reversal of its effects could've closed the story arc (re-establishing current reality somehow).

Obviously numerous ways you could go with the initial concept, this was only one possibility, so overall it didn't overshadow the story that unfolded.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Surprised not to see Eddie and the Cruisers.

Post #13 in this thread, 'Eddie and the Cruisers' was #8 on my top 10 list. Great movie. I was in the Nashville airport in a bar/grill with live music and the singer said whoever could identify the movie that the next song she played was in would get a free drink, it was 'On the Dark Side', I yelled out 'Eddie and the Cruisers' and embarrassed the hell out of the colleagues I was traveling with, but enjoyed a free glass of Basil Hayden's.

Also, loved 'Yesterday'.

Reactions: urb1

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
-The Decline of Western Civilization Part II - The Metal Years
-8 Mile
-The Blues Brothers
-Pure Country