New Car "Advances" that you don't like

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don’t drive a Honda anymore but when I did they had a “right mirror camera” that you could call up any time or turned on with the right turn signal. This was a great feature for me and was way better than the “mirror warning” that is popular now.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don’t drive a Honda anymore but when I did they had a “right mirror camera” that you could call up any time or turned on with the right turn signal. This was a great feature for me and was way better than the “mirror warning” that is popular now.

My mothers Fit has that feature but I think Honda has gotten rid of it. I agree that it was handy. I think Cadillac is the one that has a rear view mirror that actually uses a camera, which would make sense.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Not a complaint, just a question. My Silverado has the oil sensor that tells me when to change it. Im just over 5,000 miles and still at 30%. Im planning on changing it this weekend, the dealership I got it from has a lifetime warranty on the motor as long as they either maintain it, or I keep receipts and bring it in once a year. (They would change it every 3000 it looks like) How accuarate is that sensor? Dont want to push it miles wise, but dont want to throw all the money or oil away.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Not a complaint, just a question. My Silverado has the oil sensor that tells me when to change it. Im just over 5,000 miles and still at 30%. Im planning on changing it this weekend, the dealership I got it from has a lifetime warranty on the motor as long as they either maintain it, or I keep receipts and bring it in once a year. (They would change it every 3000 it looks like) How accuarate is that sensor? Dont want to push it miles wise, but dont want to throw all the money or oil away.

I go by the sensors, the days of "change it every 3k miles regardless" is dead. My wife's VW had about 10k miles between changes using synthetic. I usually have it changed at about 20%.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

You should trust the sensors like dmclone said.

New vehicles take multiple factors into consideration when calculating that percentage. Things like type of miles, temp, start-ups, etc go into it and the computer really knows what is best.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Ours was an SE model that was upgraded to almost a Titanium model. My wife and I both liked the car, but it literally ate tires. We purchased it new, the first set of tires, lasted 10 K, all highway driven. The second set lasted less than 12 K. We put 6 sets of tires on the car, including the original set in 5 years.
When I took it into Ford, they said it was the tires, or the front end was out of line. Had a 4 wheel realignment, did not help. The district manager got involved, they put it on the machine and it tested out fine. I told them "take it for a drive, every time you hit a bump, the backend slides a little, and its wearing out that tires". Their response," it looks good on the machine." The local dealer did sell me one set of four new tires at costs, and we did not even buy the car from them. They knew there was something wrong with the vehicle, and even said "ford does not stand by their products", I asked them what should I buy next and they said a Toyota, they will tear it down and rebuild it, just to keep you happy and become a returning customer.
Last time I took it in, the gal asked me if I was still having problems, I told her I was, and she said "see that silver Fusion down at the end, it has the same problems, and ford refuses to do anything about it also.
A few months later we traded it in on the Camry. I doubt if I will ever purchase another ford product and the fusion was the 5th one we had bought.

Yes, SE, not LX. I fail to keep up with the model designations.

Mmmm. My 13 Fusion also had some tire issues. Not as bad as yours, but they did seem to go bad on the rear. Real bad cupping. The vehicle had been rear-ended about a year after I got it (rather severely - $9,XXX repair) by a drunk driver in FL. I always just assumed maybe the repair was not quite right. I think I put 2 full sets on it, plus another 2 tires right before I got the Flex. It had maybe 90k on it by then.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
adaptive cruise control. I had a Toyota rental and it would slow me way down, even with the radar turned down. I shut it off. It became annoying, especially in heavy traffic.

I had this same experience yesterday. Took me quite a while to realize why I kept slowing down when the cruise control was on.

I think generally rental cars make experiences like this work. I think I could actually get used to the cruise control if I drove like that commonly (I would turn the radar way down though), but when you get in a rental and get an advanced feature like this it's tough to know what's going on.

Similar but different topic. With all these advanced technology and improvements do you think they could settle on something like "what is the optimal design of a cup holder?" I'm in lots of different rentals cars over the year and half of them still don't hold most beverages you can buy.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The swipe controls for volume and fans in Lincolns is not an improvement over the old dial controls. The radio feature on the steering wheel works well though.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I had this same experience yesterday. Took me quite a while to realize why I kept slowing down when the cruise control was on.

I think generally rental cars make experiences like this work. I think I could actually get used to the cruise control if I drove like that commonly (I would turn the radar way down though), but when you get in a rental and get an advanced feature like this it's tough to know what's going on.

Similar but different topic. With all these advanced technology and improvements do you think they could settle on something like "what is the optimal design of a cup holder?" I'm in lots of different rentals cars over the year and half of them still don't hold most beverages you can buy.

I've had 3 cars with adaptive cruise and they have behaved a little different but each of them you get use to over time. All three had different levels and when you turned them on they would default to the safest level. The adaptive cruise is based on driving speed and distance between you and the car in front of you. With all 3 I would always move them to the most aggressive level, which is still pretty safe. These are the three most common problems that I would face.

#1 Even though they are right in leaving the properer distance between you and the car in front of you, they leave enough space where cars feel like they can cut in front of you. Of course when they cut in front of you the adaptive cruise tries to slow down and put you back into a safe distance. If people were not aggressive, this wouldn't be an issue.

#2 When passing you need to plan a little bit ahead than you normally would. You pull into the passing lane probably 6 or so car lengths ahead so that the system doesn't slow down. I'm one of those people that only use the passing lane when I'm actually passing so this took a little getting use to.

#3 They will come to a complete stop but they don't accelerate fast enough for me at the light so I usually just give it a little gas. My first car would turn off the adaptive cruise as soon as you stopped. It was early technology back then and I don't think it could recognize pedestrians and could run someone over in a crosswalk or people walking between cars.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
#3 They will come to a complete stop but they don't accelerate fast enough for me at the light so I usually just give it a little gas. My first car would turn off the adaptive cruise as soon as you stopped. It was early technology back then and I don't think it could recognize pedestrians and could run someone over in a crosswalk or people walking between cars.
You saying you use cruise control in town? That is a LOT of trust for a feature that wasn't meant for negotiating city driving.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
BMW doesn't even want people to replace their own batteries. They are supposed to take it to the dealership so they can bend over on the price. They have a system that the new battery has to be registered with the car's computer to function properly.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1355106-Why-can-t-I-replace-my-own-battery

Pontiac used to make it almost impossible just to put some anti freeze in it. You either had to take it to a shop or take part of the front end off. Totally done to get their shops more money

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
One thing that is a little weird for me is that when I turn off my car the radio will play for probably 10 minutes unless I lock my doors. The wifes VW will continue to play but as soon as you open the door it shuts off, which to me makes more sense.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
BMW doesn't even want people to replace their own batteries. They are supposed to take it to the dealership so they can bend over on the price. They have a system that the new battery has to be registered with the car's computer to function properly.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1355106-Why-can-t-I-replace-my-own-battery

Super easy to keep from having to go to the stealership for this. I bought an app called Carly and the module that plugs into the car. It connects to the app by bluetooth and lets me do a bunch of different coding, along with registering a new battery if needed.

Think the total cost was $120 or so for the app and module.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Stop/Start killing engines would be much more talked about by Prius owners if it was really an issues. It isn't. Unless the other manufacturers are screwing something up it's a non-issue in terms of reliability.

I have it in my hybrid Ford Fusion. Unless everyone that has issues with their stop/start engines is trying to go 0-60 in 3 secs out of every single red light, I can't imagine how anyone would have issues with it - unless it was tuned wrong. I've never had issues with mine and it makes a big deal in my gas mileage.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Also on a Dodge. The lugnuts are not actual lug nuts. The put a cap over them. Which is fine if you live in non snow areas. However, in Iowa over time dirt, salt, and sand get in the case for the lug nut and it spins. Thus, if you have a flat tire. You might not be able to get the tire off. How about just putting lug nuts back on instead of doing some nonsense with a lug nut cap.

I ended up swapping for Chrome aftermarkets. They worked but it was getting so deformed you had to put a socket on, hammer it on and then twist. Tire guy recommended and thought it was a good idea before I got stranded. That was a $100 plus fix...

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing