Cy Hawk Rivalry

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Best conference, not always the best schedules, sometimes surprisingly manageable schedules for many of its teams.

God bless the round robin schedule. On paper of course the SEC is going to appear to be loaded. They are always over valued in the pre-season rankings and they never seemed to be punished after losing like other teams are. The top of the conference is second to none but we need to stop pretending that the SEC is a top to bottom grind because it's not.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Basically any SEC team that is 6-6 does not deserve a bowl bid in my book. That is just winning 2 conference games most of the time. The SEC may have an impressive bowl record overall (or they may not I honestly do not know), but it would be interesting to see the bowl record for SEC teams that were 6-6 going into their bowl. I would wager their are some ugly losses to G5 or lower P5 teams with similar records. Same goes for ACC.

They talk a lot about the SEC on the college sports sat. radio station, very pro SEC and ACC. But they do bring up that many are only playing 9 P5 schools, but they would not change it either unless they are forced too by the college football playoff committee.

The easiest and fastest way would be for the CFP to just say to make the playoff you have to schedule 10 P5 teams. To encourage P5 schools to play the better G5 schools that could come up with a list of 10 to 20 worthy G5 schools, and if you schedule and play them within a five year period, they count as a P5 school. Review and update the list every year or two, it allows the Houston's and FSU of the world to beef up their schedule if they want.

Baring the CFP committee forcing the change, the SEC will never do it, why should they, they now get their cake and eat it too.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
They talk a lot about the SEC on the college sports sat. radio station, very pro SEC and ACC. But they do bring up that many are only playing 9 P5 schools, but they would not change it either unless they are forced too by the college football playoff committee.

The easiest and fastest way would be for the CFP to just say to make the playoff you have to schedule 10 P5 teams. To encourage P5 schools to play the better G5 schools that could come up with a list of 10 to 20 worthy G5 schools, and if you schedule and play them within a five year period, they count as a P5 school. Review and update the list every year or two, it allows the Houston's and FSU of the world to beef up their schedule if they want.

Baring the CFP committee forcing the change, the SEC will never do it, why should they, they now get their cake and eat it too.

They should also change bowl eligibility to 6 wins that include at least 3 conference or P5 wins. That would be an easy change that could be implemented immediately. That may encourage SEC/ACC to either drop the 4th ooc game for a 9th conference game or at least schedule worthy ooc competition. If they get pushback from SEC/ACC that schedules are made so far in advance, NCAA should just say sorry but you’re also welcome for all of those 6 win bowl appearances you’ve had over the years.

Last edited:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is 100% on the money! I moved back to Iowa in the winter of 05 and Iowa fans were absolutely insufferable. Watching the Iowa fans funnel out of Jack Trice at the end of the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty because that was an absolute *** kicking.

Credit to the in-stadium camera guys and producers for actually showing it on the video board.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Only the second time in my life that ISU absolutely pounded Iowa. Seemed that outcome came out of nowhere. ISU owned Iowa that day.

I'm pretty sure ISU struggled with Illinois State in Week 1 while Iowa pounded their nonconference opponent, so everybody expected a Top 10 Iowa team to throttle ISU.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm pretty sure ISU struggled with Illinois State in Week 1 while Iowa pounded their nonconference opponent, so everybody expected a Top 10 Iowa team to throttle ISU.

Yep and both teams went on to 7 win seasons iirc. ISU did ISU things to end their season and Drew Tate I think was like .500 over his last two seasons.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
2005 might've been the peak of Iowa arrogance. Granted, they were coming off a very nice run from 2002-2004, but their fans were ready for a national title run that year. Maybe the most satisfying win over Iowa in my lifetime.

Yeah...I think they were down comparatively for a few years after that run.

It's still strong though...I distinctly remember when I had FB and someone on there posting about how Iowa clearly had more talent than Oklahoma...I think in 2011 (?) after their bowl game in which OU basically just kind of made sure to get the win comfortably. It's just really weird how they don't see the difference.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
[QUOTE="BillBrasky4Cy, post: 6689069, member: 19005 The top of the conference is second to none but we need to stop pretending that the SEC is a top to bottom grind because it's not.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree...they go into every season with half the conference ranked. Have weak (for the most part) OOC schedules so that isn’t challenged. With half the conference ranked and a 8 game conference schedule they’re basically assured a entry in the CFP.

Gets old...

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
[QUOTE="BillBrasky4Cy, post: 6689069, member: 19005 The top of the conference is second to none but we need to stop pretending that the SEC is a top to bottom grind because it's not.

Totally agree...they go into every season with half the conference ranked. Have weak (for the most part) OOC schedules so that isn’t challenged. With half the conference ranked and a 8 game conference schedule they’re basically assured a entry in the CFP.

Gets old...[/QUOTE]

The weight SOS carries is altered every single year in favor of the SEC and Ohio St. I love college football but the whole 4 team playoff system is an obvious cash grab. Say what you want about the BCS but it actually worked really well. Move the current format to 8 teams and I would probably be back on board.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013

Gets old...

The weight SOS carries is altered every single year in favor of the SEC and Ohio St. I love college football but the whole 4 team playoff system is an obvious cash grab. Say what you want about the BCS but it actually worked really well. Move the current format to 8 teams and I would probably be back on board.[/QUOTE]
I’m all in on 8. Really don’t want to see it go to 16 though

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
[/QUOTE]I’m all in on 8. Really don’t want to see it go to 16 though[/QUOTE]

Yep, 8 is the magic number. Sure, people are going to split hairs between #8 and the #9 team that gets left out but IMO it is what it is at that point. It would be fun to see some of these non P5 teams get a crack at it

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The weight SOS carries is altered every single year in favor of the SEC and Ohio St. I love college football but the whole 4 team playoff system is an obvious cash grab. Say what you want about the BCS but it actually worked really well. Move the current format to 8 teams and I would probably be back on board.
I’m all in on 8. Really don’t want to see it go to 16 though[/QUOTE]

16 is just way too many. You basically don't need a regular season at that point. That would add so many extra games for the teams that make it to the championship. You wouldn't really even need conference championships at that point. The top two teams from the P5 conferences would get in regardless. It would actually hurt the "second best" team in the conference every year to play in a CCG. You'd probably want to be 3rd in conference, rest and get into the top 16 the easy way.

I think 8 would make everyone happy. But it would be an excuse to get two SEC teams in every year, and probably two Big 10 teams whether they deserve it or not.

Personally I like the idea of 6. 5 conference champs and 1 wild card.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I’m all in on 8. Really don’t want to see it go to 16 though[/QUOTE]

Yep, 8 is the magic number. Sure, people are going to split hairs between #8 and the #9 team that gets left out but IMO it is what it is at that point. It would be fun to see some of these non P5 teams get a crack at it[/QUOTE]

The difference between 8 and 9 is much less important than the difference between 4 and 5. It also gets non P5 teams a shot if they are exceptionally good.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I’m all in on 8. Really don’t want to see it go to 16 though

16 is just way too many. You basically don't need a regular season at that point. That would add so many extra games for the teams that make it to the championship. You wouldn't really even need conference championships at that point. The top two teams from the P5 conferences would get in regardless. It would actually hurt the "second best" team in the conference every year to play in a CCG. You'd probably want to be 3rd in conference, rest and get into the top 16 the easy way.

I think 8 would make everyone happy. But it would be an excuse to get two SEC teams in every year, and probably two Big 10 teams whether they deserve it or not.

Personally I like the idea of 6. 5 conference champs and 1 wild card.[/QUOTE]
The only problem I have with 6 is the two teams that have a bye won’t have played a game in a month. The other teams will have shaken off the rust...just think 8 is the way to go

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
This is 100% on the money! I moved back to Iowa in the winter of 05 and Iowa fans were absolutely insufferable. Watching the Iowa fans funnel out of Jack Trice at the end of the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty because that was an absolute *** kicking.
I recall Little Drew Tate throwing an interception and then throwing his body, head first, to try and stop our defensive back. He gave himself a concussion, and took himself out of the game. Priceless memory!

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
When is Freerentz going to start running his mouth? It's mid-June and he should be on schedule to begin chirping about how the hoks are going to win the Super Bowl against Iowa State. Wasn't he in Des Moines last week?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I recall Little Drew Tate throwing an interception and then throwing his body, head first, to try and stop our defensive back. He gave himself a concussion, and took himself out of the game. Priceless memory!

So you cheered a concussion? Are you a Raptor fan?

• Funny
Reactions: intrepid27

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
For me its the best tailgate of the year, eating and drinking with friends and relatives of both sides. What more could we ask for? Its like FSU and Florida, we hate Iowa, Iowa hates us. But in the end, the game matters less, because we are friends.

Sorry to hear about some of your friends and relatives.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The only problem I have with 6 is the two teams that have a bye won’t have played a game in a month. The other teams will have shaken off the rust...just think 8 is the way to go

Good point. 6 would just be allow for the minimum number of total games, but also be the minimum required to get ALL conference champions in the mix. A bye could also be seen as a reward to the top 2 seeds. Allows them to get healthy. Previously every championship game had a month long wait for the bowl game season. So I think there are Pros and Cons to having byes. Regardless I think if they expand they will go straight to 8 teams anyway, just to maximize the profits and excitement.

I know the issue of amateur football players playing 16 games in a season is a big concern. You WILL see more injuries to college kids who aren't supposed to be making any money off of this. And the amount of money that the NCAA/Conferences/Schools will make off of an expanded playoff will always be brought up in relation to the players not making anything.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
So you cheered a concussion? Are you a Raptor fan?
As I have clearly demonstrated both here on this message board and to my colleagues who tailgate with me in B4 and elsewhere, I am an unapologetic anti-hok, to the point where I find joy and amusement in their self-inflicted injuries.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer