Friday OT #1 - Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Funeral

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for this thread idea! I always welcome Friday OT ideas.

Summer is sort of the start of wedding season. With that in mind:

* How many times have you been a member of a wedding party? (not counting your wedding, if that applies). What “roles” have you served? Favorite/least-favorite experiences in that regard? Do you like being in a wedding vs. attending?

* Sports-related: Do you associate specific weddings with an Iowa State sporting event, for whatever reason? Such as, you couldn’t watch/attend a game due to wedding plans; weddings that coincided closely with an Iowa State game and you still associate it closely.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyclones500

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
For mine - we were the a-holes who scheduled our wedding before the ISU football schedule for the next year came out, and it so happened that we coincided with the season opener at home. :( We heard about that for years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
For mine - we were the a-holes who scheduled our wedding before the ISU football schedule for the next year came out, and it so happened that we coincided with the season opener at home. :( We heard about that for years.

I prefer to not be in them or attend now. When younger, I figured being in them if the bridesmaid was attractive.

I was best man in a wedding scheduled the day ISU broke the 15 year Iowa streak. I sat in my car off and on to listen to it.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I’ve been in 4. I and my friends are very conscientious about planning around ISU events m. Or it could just be the fact that everyone gets married in the summer.

Oh and I like the cremation ad that has showed up at the top.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Been the best man in two and a groomsman in two. Being in a wedding party is fun but it is kind of a long day and tux rentals add up! Not saying I don't want to do it as it is an honor but just some of the negatives I guess.

Reactions: Angie

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Been the best man in two and a groomsman in two. Being in a wedding party is fun but it is kind of a long day and tux rentals add up! Not saying I don't want to do it as it is an honor but just some of the negatives I guess.

Sure.

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I was a guest at my buddies wedding in Ames. Was up nearly two straight days (got around 3 hrs of sleep on the first day) before the wedding. There was an ISUMBB game on during the wedding which I was listening to on my phone. I passed out in the church and dropped my phone on the hard wood floor. That was embarrassing.

I was also the best man for a wedding. In this wedding the pastor kept say "life is like a circle" and I lost my ****. I couldn't stop thinking about Chuck and Larry and was laughing so hard I was tearing up. His parents were pissed. Well the bridesmaids eventually noticed. They didn't see my laughing my ass off...but they saw the tears. They thought I was "emotional" which then set them off crying. That was awesome.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Flower girl - 2 (or 3?)
Junior bridesmaid - 1
Bridesmaid/matron of honor - 4 (or 5?)
Personal attendant - 2 (for very small ceremonies)

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for this thread idea! I always welcome Friday OT ideas.

Summer is sort of the start of wedding season. With that in mind:

* How many times have you been a member of a wedding party? (not counting your wedding, if that applies). What “roles” have you served? Favorite/least-favorite experiences in that regard? Do you like being in a wedding vs. attending?

* Sports-related: Do you associate specific weddings with an Iowa State sporting event, for whatever reason? Such as, you couldn’t watch/attend a game due to wedding plans; weddings that coincided closely with an Iowa State game and you still associate it closely.

hey angie. i would have went 2 ur wedding because i think u do a swell job on hear and im lucky to call u my friend. maybe ill get an invite to ur next weddin ;) (we actually get married)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Been a best man three times, groomsman once, usher several times. Also have read scripture at weddings.

My most memorable wedding that coincided with an ISU sports event was my boss's wedding in 2000. It was the afternoon of the Elite Eight game with Michigan State. At the reception, which was held at the Webster County Fairgrounds, we kept ducking into the kitchen to watch the game (there was a small TV there).

Of course, there was the predictable reaction at the end. :(

Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
hey angie. i would have went 2 ur wedding because i think u do a swell job on hear and im lucky to call u my friend. maybe ill get an invite to ur next weddin ;) (we actually get married)
tenor.gif

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I think I've been in 9 weddings as a groomsman or usher. I'm probably missing one or two. I don't associate any of them with a sporting event. I guess that once the beer starts flowing and the Chicken Dance comes on, I just don't care that much about sports.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Been in several as a groomsman and usher. I will say that I very much appreciate being an usher during Catholic ceremonies. Being able to leave and/or sit down during the hour and a half full ******* mass while the groomsmen sweat up at the front is glorious.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Guess I've been:
Usher: 2
Groomsman: 2
Best Man: 1

Most of those took place when I was single, so it was a good time for me.

I was Best Man for my brother's wedding, which was held on the last day of the Big 12 tournament. We won, I was able to stream the game at the reception, so that's good.

My wife's niece (which I guess is my niece as well) got married DURING the OU/ISU game that we won in Norman.

**** that ****. They get a pass since they're Canadian and don't care unless it's hockey, but still. I hold that over my wife's head as much as I can.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Been in several as a groomsman and usher. I will say that I very much appreciate being an usher during Catholic ceremonies. Being able to leave and/or sit down during the hour and a half full ******* mass while the groomsmen sweat up at the front is glorious.

I made sure my dad gave the priest a handsome fee, so we were wrapped up in an hour for a full Mass with wedding included. Father chose the short prayers and kept the sermon short.

Reactions: NWICY

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As for Iowa State memories with weddings, two come to mind:

1) A friend of my wife got married the day of the 2009 Iowa State v. Nebraska game. I'd done some yardwork and listened to the game during the first half and came back and in figured I'd watch a few minutes, shower up and get to the wedding. I kept waiting for Nebraska to make a move, but 13 turnovers later I was watching the end of the game with the wedding starting in like 15 minutes. We won, I threw on some dress clothes (sans shower) and we showed up about 10 minutes late. The wife was not thrilled.

2) Similar situation to before with a wedding starting right towards the end of the 2017 OU game. Throughout the second half I went into full fledged nervous drinking mode, which soon turned to celebratory drinking mode, which soon turned to a very hammered Clonefan32 showing up for the wedding. Again, wife not thrilled.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron