3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I looked into becoming a teacher because I need a change. Through my research I realized practically every different teacher needs a different license. Teaching license based on grade level, administration license, special ed license, special reading license, special license to work at the AEA, special license to coach, etc.

Are all of these really necessary? Do these licenses only serve the schools who grant them? Why can't you use experience with one to fulfill the others?
You want every Tom, **** and Argent to be able to teach kids?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I looked into becoming a teacher because I need a change. Through my research I realized practically every different teacher needs a different license. Teaching license based on grade level, administration license, special ed license, special reading license, special license to work at the AEA, special license to coach, etc.

Are all of these really necessary? Do these licenses only serve the schools who grant them? Why can't you use experience with one to fulfill the others?

Its for the kids. :rolleyes:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Basically the State has figured out a way to make money and grow their influence from these licenses. They are ridiculous but they add more every year. They get to charge for the renewals every X years. They create demand for CE classes that may or may not make them more money. We are forced to buy a Book every two years for the "updates" that goes straight to a private organization that then gets to write more rules.

Plus these licenses make it easier on administrators and the unions. It's all one big scam.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I'm not familiar with all of the requirements, but do know a gal that moved from Illinois to Iowa and was all bent out of shape that her previous qualifications weren't enough and would have to do a decent amount of work to get to the standard required. Made me feel a little better about the education system in the state. Don't ask her though, everything here isn't good enough when compared to Chicago.

Reactions: usedcarguy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
President Obama was not a fan of overbearing licensing requirements ossifying the labor market. Heck, you can read about it on his website, right here...

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...-unnecessary-occupation-licenses-are-limiting

One can debate the individual merits of licensing involving educational positions, but this is one of those issues where there is broad agreement among labor economists that too much of it is only robbing good people of good opportunities for themselves.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't see how a license would stifle creativity or ideas, that's up to the individual teacher. Sure there are standards that have to be met, but day to day there is still opportunity for creativity or personal touches.

I don't know if the licensing system is perfect by all means, but I definitely wouldn't be interested in getting rid of it altogether.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I'm surprised the libertarians haven't weighed in yet. They hate licensure.

Many professions, not just teaching, require licenses. If you're in the field, you just get it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm surprised the libertarians haven't weighed in yet. They hate licensure.

Many professions, not just teaching, require licenses. If you're in the field, you just get it.

I am happy my field has license requirements. In fact I wish they'd make them more restrictive to get rid of all the yahoos at H&R Block, Liberty Tax, Jackson Heweitt, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: bellzisu

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yeah, it's a way to protect your territory from new entrants. Recent studies have shown over 30% of all workers in the US require a license.

I'm not arguing against teachers needing a license. I am questioning why each different area needs a separate license. Hire good people and put them in positions to excel.

I'm not sure how teaching works, but I'm not sure if I'd want a Social Studies licensed teacher moving to teach Special Ed without getting some training or a license to prove he knows what he/she is doing.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You want every Tom, **** and Argent to be able to teach kids?

That's actually a thing...last I knew in WI they're allowing folks without teaching backgrounds become teachers.

That's not to say anyone with a teaching license is made for it or is good at it, or that someone without it can't be a really great teacher, but there's some specific things that I know people outside of the education world are fully ignorant of that makes it a little scary.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I don't think I've suggested getting rid of it altogether, but let's look at this example.

There was someone at my company who was really good at photoshop. We took him from a plan tech and made him the marketing guru. He's excelled in his new role all because he found an interest in photoshop. Our deliverables are better, our public outreach is better, and we look more unified. Now imagine if we said to him, "That's great you have an interest, but if you want to do marketing you'll need a marketing degree." We'd never have found a win-win because he'd be in a job he didn't like as much and we'd have to take a chance on someone we didn't know (a new marketing grad).
Your hypothetical isn't helpful in overcoming the evident need to license in certain professions, which I'm sure are based on an identifiable professional need more than a whim. If you want to be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a barber, or an electrician, or a teacher, you go to the appropriate schools or training, take tests, and pay a small fee to show the world you are qualified.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Yeah, it's a way to protect your territory from new entrants. Recent studies have shown over 30% of all workers in the US require a license.

I'm not arguing against teachers needing a license. I am questioning why each different area needs a separate license. Hire good people and put them in positions to excel.
I'm not a teacher, but I know we have teachers on the board who could speak to this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron