Horton Tucker pleads guilty

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
To be fair, self checkout is right by the "as seen on TV" section....likely grabbed some FlexSeal because we ALL have believed the infomercial hype...maybe he has a boat with a screen door bottom and he wanted to test if this stuff is as great as it looks....and in his excitement forgot to scan.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am sure that has almost happened to many of us. The self-checkout register has that reminder at the end to check your cart for a reason. I have caught myself innocently almost forgetting an item on an occasion or two.

I doubt theyre going to charge someone just for innocently forgetting though. Items miss getting scanned by accident, and i think theft requires intent. There would have to be something on the video showing that an item was deliberately not scanned.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I doubt theyre going to charge someone just for innocently forgetting though. Items miss getting scanned by accident, and i think theft requires intent. There would have to be something on the video showing that an item was deliberately not scanned.

Based upon this report it appears that Walmart is particularly aggressive in prosecuting perceived shoplifting. Sometimes with little evidence. In my opinion, retailers are using self checkout as a way to reduce labor cost, if items are missed that is on them to prove clear intent. It appears this is not the case.

THT may simply have decided the easiest path was to not fight WalMart.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/...hoplifting-but-retailers-demand-they-pay.html

• Informative
Reactions: aobie

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
$16 worth of stuff? Hard to point a finger at him without three fingers pointing back at myself.

I once accidentally forgot to scan a $13 canister of cashews at Sam's Club.

(I returned it to customer service once I noticed the mistake I made when loading the other items into my trunk.)

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
It is funny how Prohm and ISU keep this quiet until after the season.

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/201...er-charged-pleads-guilty-to-misdemeanor-theft
giphy.gif

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The guy pled guilty. Let's just say its not that big a deal and move on. We dont have to convince ourselves he's the victim here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron