Taprooms

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've never been impressed by their beer but I thought I'd check out Mistress Brewing in Ankeny. The good news is that it's pretty nice and it has a ton of room. The bad news, I'm still not the biggest fan of their beer. I did have a stout from them that was infused with red hots, tootsie rolls, and hobernero's, which was pretty good.

What are your 5 favorites tap rooms in Iowa just based on the tap room itself? Mine it something like this:

Big Grove
Singlespeed
Toppling Goliath

Big drop off

Lion Bridge maybe
Lake Time maybe (Small and in a house. Cozy)

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
How is Reclaimed Rails beer? Going back there soon and want to know what to expect.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
My taproom experience is is relatively limited to bike trail and metro breweries but I'd rank a top 5:
1) Alluvial. Not large. Quaint, and impossible to beat the serenity of the surrounding prairie on a nice evening.
2) Reclaimed Rails. Everything inside is literally reclaimed something or another. Way cool.
3) Firetrucker, thanks to the games and music that always seem to be going on. Great festive atmosphere.
4) Confluence, thanks to the big deck on the back side
5) 515. Nothing stands out but it's always a fun place to be

Reactions: Cytown12

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Alluvial
Confluence
Reclaimed Rails
Torrent
Pulpit Rock

I hear Big Grove is really cool but haven’t been yet.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
How is Reclaimed Rails beer? Going back there soon and want to know what to expect.

Not good...They had some really good beers at one point, but they dropped off significantly. Every beer taste exactly the same. I haven't been there since last summer, not sure if they have improved.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Singlespeed and TG have really nice taprooms, but neither are the kind of place I just enjoy hanging out, which is eventually how I judge a good taproom. Both remind me of Surly (and are fairly similar to each other, honestly). I prefer hitting the OG Singlespeed in Cedar Falls, or Dixie's in Decorah (old TG taproom) when I want their products.

My Top 5:
Alluvial - #1 with a bullet. It's a small enough taproom to feel intimate, chat with the bartenders, etc, but it also has the incredible outdoor space with the patio, prairie, etc. I love their vibe and decor as well.

Peace Tree (Knoxville) - Just a need old building with a cool back story. I've only been once, years ago, but I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

Pulpit Rock - Only downside is that it can get cramped quickly. Otherwise, it's intimate, has a great patio, does the indoor/outdoor thing as well as anyone, and has an awesome staff. The brewers are frequently roaming around, mingling with folks, and it's a good spot to watch a game.

Fat Hill - Right downtown Mason City in a really cool renovated building. It has great aesthetics, an uncluttered layout, and pretty good beer.

Lake Time - It's an old cottage a few blocks off the lake in Clear Lake. It's an extremely unique tap room that makes you feel like you're at a very well manicured house party, in the best way possible.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Singlespeed and TG have really nice taprooms, but neither are the kind of place I just enjoy hanging out, which is eventually how I judge a good taproom. Both remind me of Surly (and are fairly similar to each other, honestly). I prefer hitting the OG Singlespeed in Cedar Falls, or Dixie's in Decorah (old TG taproom) when I want their products.

My Top 5:
Alluvial - #1 with a bullet. It's a small enough taproom to feel intimate, chat with the bartenders, etc, but it also has the incredible outdoor space with the patio, prairie, etc. I love their vibe and decor as well.

Peace Tree (Knoxville) - Just a need old building with a cool back story. I've only been once, years ago, but I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

Pulpit Rock - Only downside is that it can get cramped quickly. Otherwise, it's intimate, has a great patio, does the indoor/outdoor thing as well as anyone, and has an awesome staff. The brewers are frequently roaming around, mingling with folks, and it's a good spot to watch a game.

Fat Hill - Right downtown Mason City in a really cool renovated building. It has great aesthetics, an uncluttered layout, and pretty good beer.

Lake Time - It's an old cottage a few blocks off the lake in Clear Lake. It's an extremely unique tap room that makes you feel like you're at a very well manicured house party, in the best way possible.

Fat Hill is another I forgot about. They do have a cool place.

I have a couple of others on my list to hit this summer. Want to check out Franklin Street and Dimensional.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Fat Hill is another I forgot about. They do have a cool place.

I have a couple of others on my list to hit this summer. Want to check out Franklin Street and Dimensional.

Franklin Street is very nice. I've only been once, but if I lived 20 minutes closer to Manchester, I'd go quite a bit. Thankfully you can get their beer at Dixie's in Decorah on the reg.

We'll be going to Dimensional for sure this summer. We're acquaintances with one of the brewers from when my wife worked at TG. Good dude, and they're making good beer. Dubuque has a sneaky good beer scene these days. Jubeck and 7 Hills both make good beer and have cool taprooms (in very different ways - Jubeck is tiny and intimate, and 7 Hills is more of a smaller version of the TG/SS style). The Dubuque Backpocket is pretty good as well, and a fun spot.

Help Support Us

Become a patron