Ames Menards set to open spring 2019

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I swear they've been working on that project for over 2 years now.

I think that section went through a re-design after it was closed off which delayed start by maybe a year or so. I could be wrong though. Looks like it was supposed to be completed in April and is only 38% done now.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So Ames needs a Lowe's, Menards, Theisens, and Fleet Farm. But has no furniture store and one department store.

I'd love to see the market analysis by the home improvement stores.

It doesn’t but Menards probably isn’t too worried about Lowe’s and Fleet Farm probably isn’t too worried about Theisens. The Lowe’s in Ames is also a smaller footprint than their normal stores.

• Agree
Reactions: veteran4cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I don't disagree either, but why do people buy jeans online but not a pack of screws? How is it cheaper to buy furniture online than a product that is smaller than Furniture, like a radial saw?

Being able to see and feel what your buying is huge for home improvement stores. I only buy materials or tools online when they aren’t available locally. With materials you know it’s not cracked, gouged, etc or if it fits your application by just looking at it. There are so many SKUs, it’s hard to tell from a picture what your buying. With tools, it’s normally something I need now and not days later.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
The Grimes Menards is rumored to open in July. Can tell it is getting close as you can see the store being stocked from the windows. Pretty pumped for it to open as Grimes needed a big store like that and we also had an Earl May open up the other week too.

As a Beaverdale resident, I'm really hoping this takes some of the pressure off of the **** show that is Clive Menards. I don't think I've ever been to that store when the parking lot isn't 90% full.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
So Ames needs a Lowe's, Menards, Theisens, and Fleet Farm. But has no furniture store and one department store.

I'd love to see the market analysis by the home improvement stores.
You forgot a big dog: Munn's

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
As a Beaverdale resident, I'm really hoping this takes some of the pressure off of the **** show that is Clive Menards. I don't think I've ever been to that store when the parking lot isn't 90% full.

Menards is really great if you want to build something yourself. They stock a lot of building materials at their stores so you don't have to special order something. For example, this summer I had to buy some vinyl siding for a 10 foot by 10 foot square section of my house. Menards stocked vinyl siding in my color, whereas Lowes and home depot, I would have needed to order.

Menards I think offers more to small independent contractors for building materials. Whereas Lowes and Home Depot tend to cater to the DIY self crowd. For this reason, I think the Menards in Ames will be really successful as farmers and other people living west and north of Ames will go to the store frequently due to their vast supply of stock building materials.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
That location makes no sense. Ames is growing north and west. Why put it on the extreme southeast corner of Ames?

* The I-35/Hwy 30 interchange needs development. Have you been by I-80/I-380 Coralville area? It's exploded the last 20 years. Plus for semi traffic, do you want a Menards near newer housing developments?

* Menards has a nice variety of products--closer to our home than Lowes/Home Depot-- in eastern Iowa,

* Customer Service @ our area Menards sucks. The employees (and training) are sub-par, and they won't look you in the eye in the aisles. If you know your way around and where you need to go-- is a good thing. If you need assistance---good luck. Our local Menards? They'd rather not assist anyone unless you 'interrupt' them w/ a question

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I've heard rumors that a big reason they built in Grimes was to take some of the load off that Clive store that is kind of under-sized for all the growth they've had in that area lately. From what I can tell the Grimes store looks like it is going to be a bigger store too

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've heard rumors that a big reason they built in Grimes was to take some of the load off that Clive store that is kind of under-sized for all the growth they've had in that area lately. From what I can tell the Grimes store looks like it is going to be a bigger store too
That Clive lot is so weird.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

The one in Grimes is built with their largest store format. It's the same size as Clive, Altoona and Ankeny.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Still love Ace Hardware in North Ames for the little one off nut or bolt you need. Place gets a lot of business. Plus it's about a couple of blocks away from me. Friday's are caramel corn days to. I have actually found prices on things competitive with Lowe's and Walmart on garden items.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Still love Ace Hardware in North Ames for the little one off nut or bolt you need. Place gets a lot of business. Plus it's about a couple of blocks away from me. Friday's are caramel corn days to. I have actually found prices on things competitive with Lowe's and Walmart on garden items.

I go there but never have on a Friday. What is this caramel corn day you speak of?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I'm at the Ace in Ankeny all the time. Usually for whatever I forgot on the first trip to Menards or to replace whatever I didn't do right the first time.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm at the Ace in Ankeny all the time. Usually for whatever I forgot on the first trip to Menards or to replace whatever I didn't do right the first time.
Only thing that bugs me about that place is you can't turn East out of there to head back down Oralabor, you have to head down a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That place is a grilling paradise too. Wow do they have an inventory.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron