Wigginton: Out of Control or hated by refs?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think slowing down a 1/2 step on offense is really good advice for Lindell. He is always pushing it because he feels the pressure to perform. I always say in carpentry you gotta slow down to speed up. Meaning think about what you're doing, and you will accomplish the same things with half the effort and time.

I agree he is so close to being dominant but he has a ways to go on his defense. His on the ball D is pretty good though. Just needs to learn to cut people's lanes off better, instead of worrying about the foul and giving him that edge. Some of that is help side responsibility, but Chris Babb could shut a guy down all by himself just by being great with his lateral movement and body positioning.

I hope he comes back next year but I am not optimistic. I think his heads is too deep in the NBA clouds.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
If LW comes back, which I am not counting on, he needs to look at how Frank Mason attacked and drove the ball. He took it hard to the hole and on a direct line to the basket, and typically overpowered the defender. If Mason didn't get the foul, he at least sent the "stay out of my way" message. Later in the game, as Mason tired or the defenders backed off, he would add some finesse and touch to finish his drives.

LW should also talk to Naz about how he added the "finish" to his drives for his last year. I was impressed with how Naz developed that part of his game his fifth/senior year.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
So many times last night and this season, Wigginton would gut out a tough drive to the basket. I'm not talking about the drives where he would bounce the ball off his foot, or lose control of the ball before getting to the hoop. I'm talking about the drives where he would literally beat his primary defender, cut through 1-2 more, and get right to the rim for a tough contested layup/dunk. There would always seem to be a lot of contact. Bodies (always Lindell's, sometimes others) would end up on the floor. I have no stat to back this up, but I feel as though a foul was called <25% of the time. What was this all about? Wigginton try to sell something that wasn't there, and just being a wild, high-flying athlete flopping, hoping to get a whistle? He would normally cry out, fall to the ground etc. Normally they wouldn't show a replay, so I never went back to see how many times he was actually fouled. I feel as though he got more calls on 3's than he did on 2's.

This happened a lot to NWB too

If this is a poll, I vote for out of control. It's one reason I don't think he'll ever make it in the NBA unless he cleans that up. He has insane athleticism, but I think it's sometimes to his detriment. He knows he's a great athlete and tries to do too much because of it, not realizing that there are other great athletes out there as well. He got away with it in high school, but that type of playing with your hair on fire is never going to fly against better teams or in the NBA.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
During dribble penatration, I think he would benefit from the mindset that he was going to put the ball in the basket rather than trying to find a way to get fouled. The fouls will come without making such an effort to draw them. Developing a tear drop floater like Curtis Stinson had would really strengthen his game.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cycloneman24

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
He flops like a soccer player a lot. Refs know that. That crap won’t fly in the nba!!! He needs to finish at the basket strong, he looks strong but doesn’t play like it at all.

I take it you don’t watch much professional basketball.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
My wish list for Lindell:
1. Slow down 1/2 step on offense.
2. Stop looking for a whistle on every single drive. ...I feel like he's the opposite on 3's and it's uncanny how many times he's fouled on them.
3. Stop getting lost on defense.

He's still just a Sophomore, but he's so close to be dominant, minus doing each of the above 2-3 times/game.

If he goes, I'll wish him luck.
If he stays, and keeps doing the same stuff, he's going to be tough to watch.
If he stays, and he cleans these things up, he'll be awesome.

I've said it ever since he was healthy (based on his sometimes erratic play this year).

I truly believe he is one of those players that performs better if given the chance to get into the flow of the game immediately from the tip.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Wigginton’s struggles this year were greatly exaggerated. If you give him Babb’s minutes he’s averaging close to 20 ppg.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
QOoS04N.gif

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
The only way he can make it in the NBA is as a point guard. He wasn't the starting point guard on a one-and-done NCAA team. He needs to come back next season and play point guard and hone his skills. I've watched most of Monte's NBA season and there is no comparison between he and Wiggy. Wiggy will get absolutely eaten alive.
There is no comparison between him and Monte when it comes to being a point guard and look how long it took Monte to get into the league.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wigginton’s struggles this year were greatly exaggerated. If you give him Babb’s minutes he’s averaging close to 20 ppg.
How good was NWB? A lot of my thoughts on him range from "Damb, he is an underrated point guard who doesn't make a lot of mistakes, the oil to our offense's engine" to "Damb, our offense gets really stagnant sometimes while NWB is dribbling the ball at the top of the key, or walking the ball up the court. He doesn't score much, could this offense be better without him?"

Reactions: bozclone

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Thankfully I don’t. I used to watch when Jordan and bird played. It was pretty physical to the rim.

It’s a different game now, for better and worse. I think Wigginton has been watching a lot of Harden. On one hand, the guy may very well win back-to-back MVPs. On the other hand...