Are We Having a Change of Fortune?

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
It occurs to me that we have much less negative news, fewer bad breaks in the last couple of years. I am starting to think it is a trend and just thought we should take a moment and enjoy it.

Whether it was good players getting injured, or stealing a stop sign during VEISHA, or good players just wanting to leave the team, or in the Story County jail, it just seems like we used to hardly have a month go by where something adverse to the team's improvement would happen. I came to CF regularly just to see what new problems we had.

Now I come here expecting there to most likely be something good, if anything. Part of it may be that we have better players and better depth. Now when I learn that Taylor-Cortez is looking to transfer, I no longer think, "Oh crap! We really needed that guy to stay and develop into a great player." Now I think, "Well, I hope that works out for him, but with the players we have, we will be just fine. What else is new?" This is much more pleasant.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It occurs to me that we have much less negative news, fewer bad breaks in the last couple of years. I am starting to think it is a trend and just thought we should take a moment and enjoy it.

Whether it was good players getting injured, or stealing a stop sign during VEISHA, or good players just wanting to leave the team, or in the Story County jail, it just seems like we used to hardly have a month go by where something adverse to the team's improvement would happen. I came to CF regularly just to see what new problems we had.

Now I come here expecting there to most likely be something good, if anything. Part of it may be that we have better players and better depth. Now when I learn that Taylor-Cortez is looking to transfer, I no longer think, "Oh crap! We really needed that guy to stay and develop into a great player." Now I think, "Well, I hope that works out for him, but with the players we have, we will be just fine. What else is new?" This is much more pleasant.

I don't think that is happening by accident. Look at the quality of a lot of these young men....especially when you look at some of the articles related to several leaders of the team that have been posted about their backgrounds and where they draw their strength and guidance from. That doesn't happen by accident and it doesn't happen if it isn't encouraged from the top.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
We still get screwed by the refs, so not exactly
I think we will see less and less of that as time goes on. Unless we are playing Texas or Oklahoma. We won't see it happen against K-State anymore.

One thing I would like to add is how great it is that in Campbell's first year at ISU he noticed the players had a "loser mentality" and he got rid of that real quick. That 3-9 season could have been a bowl season. There were so many winnable games. That changed in 2017. There were some close losses, but the team seemed to play smarter and tougher than maybe any ISU team I have ever seen. We are winning close games now and it's great.

CaptivaCyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 20, 2017
We have heard about The Process. What you penned is actually seeing the Process at work and it is nice. I think we as a fan base can feel the change in mentality and culture and it is an exciting time to be a Cyclone. It all starts at the top and we have some very strong leadership at the University and within the Athletic Department right now. go Clones!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We have heard about The Process. What you penned is actually seeing the Process at work and it is nice. I think we as a fan base can feel the change in mentality and culture and it is an exciting time to be a Cyclone. It all starts at the top and we have some very strong leadership at the University and within the Athletic Department right now. go Clones!
While many coaches talk about developing young men I think it is just lip service to some but Coach Campbell really seems to want to put that into action.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
You're thirsty for negative news? Ok, today ESPN dropped us out of their "too early" Top 25 rankings for next year.

That puzzles me. ISU was #20 in E's first too-early rank, and now 26th (Stanford and ... *ugh* Iowa are there instead).

I could understand if the initial ranking occurred before Monty and Butler declared for the draft, but they already had announced by that point. Now we drop 6 spots? What the hell changed?

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018

AS much credit as the players deserve in this, the coaches deserve more of the credit. Look at the amount of time and effort they take to develop a good relationship with them early on before they even get to campus. We see it in the commitment comments from athletes about how the coaches are in on them very early; always concerned about their well being and that if ISU is not right for them, then not to worry. The coaches are quality and seek to connect with players. They think they can play a part in making the athlete an even better version of themselves. With better quality coaches we are getting more focused and responsible athletes......and therefore less "bad" news every time you sign in at CF. Pollard deserves much credit for playing the long game in finding good coaches also!

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
That puzzles me. ISU was #20 in E's first too-early rank, and now 26th (Stanford and ... *ugh* Iowa are there instead).

I could understand if the initial ranking occurred before Monty and Butler declared for the draft, but they already had announced by that point. Now we drop 6 spots? What the hell changed?

Change generates page reads. Now you have both the new and old team's fans linking and reading the article.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

The part about it being meaningless didn't change.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

It seems to have coincidentally coincided with a new kick-ass, incredibly high-character coach. Weird.

Help Support Us

Become a patron