Opportunity is gone (Mars Rover)

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
"The plucky robot operated on the red planet for more than 14 years — an astonishing achievement, given that the mission was technically supposed to last only 90 days."

That is pretty incredible considering all the things that could have gone wrong.
Not only that but how it was able to share so much of the planet with anyone who was interested. Such a fantastic outreach project. XKCD did this as a tribute today.
opportunity_rover.png

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
"The plucky robot operated on the red planet for more than 14 years — an astonishing achievement, given that the mission was technically supposed to last only 90 days."

That is pretty incredible considering all the things that could have gone wrong.
Think of the technological advances we have made in 14 years. That's one thing that has fascinated me with our space exploration. We have more computing power in a watch than we had in many of our older probes that are still out there probing.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

That's insane. We can't even get a phone now that lasts more than 2 without dying. That's probably by design though.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
May we never quit reaching for the stars.
The one thing Kansas has going for it: "Ad Astra Per Aspera," the state motto. I've always been fascinated by the stars too. There is so much to look forward to now that private enterprise has picked up the mantle of space exploration. How I wish DJT's dream for bringing mining jobs back to the US was by sponsoring asteroid exploration and granting mining rights to them.

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
That's an amazing accomplishment, and it's where our focus should be in space exploration. Let's stop this nonsense about manned exploration. Putting a human on a heavenly body not our own was a worthy goal -- we've accomplished that. Sending humans to Mars is a pointless endeavor. They'll be so damned weak from radiation, if by some miracle they even make it there, that the best they could do is plant a flag. And, they ain't coming back. We can learn so much more, and much more cheaply, by using robots for our space exploration. And yes, I am in complete agreement that our defense budget is obscene and dwarfs the space budget, but that doesn't justify this silly goal of sending humans to Mars (or back to the Moon).

But, but, ... what about overpopulation? Deal with that the sensible way on Earth, rather than sending people to die on another planet. The Space Shuttle era was absurd:

Yes, it's the Simpsons, and it's over the top, but it's damned close to the truth. Here's some reading for some perspective:

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-virtual-astronaut

Yeah, I know it's dated, but that doesn't make it irrelevant. Flame away, folks!