Would like to see at Lard and Jacobson in

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
at the same time and let them go to work and we could get more offense rebounds

I would like to see him try it in spurts but am I guessing that we would need to be defending in a zone? MJ guarding the ‘4’ might be pushing it. Before anyone criticizes, I realize man-to-man is our bread & butter, and rightly so, but when a team starts rolling like TCU was, why not try a little zone for a few possessions and switch it up. Even if they can shoot the three doesn’t mean it wouldn’t slow em up a little.

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
I’ve been asking for this since the Iowa game. There are going to be teams in the tournament (Kentucky, Michigan State, Iowa) where we may need to go big for a while. Prohm seems dead set on 4 guards all game so I doubt we see it. Would be nice to see Jacobsen and Lard both going after the rebounds and getting us some extra possessions with all the jumpers we take.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Would love to see it but I’m sure Prohm has seen it and there is a reason its not done in games.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Right now we are a one trick pony - we win when we shoot well. Our defense with 4 guards is OK but we give up way too much dribble penetration for playing 4 guards. Our quickness should keep opponents out of the paint. Also our defense doesn't disrupt opposing offenses. We don't make them uncomfortable.

IMO playing Lard and Jacobson could help our defense and offense. On D Jacobson and Lard combined could clog the paint. Jacobson the physical guy & Lard the rim protector. Jacobson is a stretch 4 from a defensive perspective.

On offense having Lard & Jacobson play high/low post could create more space for jump shooters. Also in games where we struggle offensively we become one dimensional chucking up 3's. Yesterday was a great example. TCU goes on a 28-4 run and we don't get any paint points. Jacobson & Lard also provide a formidable rebounding duo and toughness.

Not saying Jacobson/Lard should start, but 2 post guys might make a difference in upcoming games. KSU has Wade & Mawein, OU has Doolittle, McNease and Manek, UT goes with Hayes, Osetkowski and Sims, WVU Harris, Ahmad and Konate.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I’ve been asking for this since the Iowa game. There are going to be teams in the tournament (Kentucky, Michigan State, Iowa) where we may need to go big for a while. Prohm seems dead set on 4 guards all game so I doubt we see it. Would be nice to see Jacobsen and Lard both going after the rebounds and getting us some extra possessions with all the jumpers we take.

Those teams are saying the same thing that they'd have to go small against us

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Those teams are saying the same thing that they'd have to go small against us

That is true, but it depends if you can impose your style of game on them. Our 4 guard offense didn't work so well against the Hawks in December at CH. Maybe at Hilton it would have been a different story. But that's the point of the original poster- have the ability to go big if the game dictates.

We made Cordel Pemsel look like an All-American because:
  1. He played with attitude and effort that we didn't match.
  2. He or Cook took our smaller defenders to the paint for easy baskets. When we doubled down that left guys like Moss/Baer open for 3's.
I believe a 4-1 is our best team the majority of the time, but there will be games where a lineup of Lard, Jacobson or Conditt will give an opponent problems. There a lot of top 20 teams that make a lot of 3's by playing 2 posts and 3 guards.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That is true, but it depends if you can impose your style of game on them. Our 4 guard offense didn't work so well against the Hawks in December at CH. Maybe at Hilton it would have been a different story. But that's the point of the original poster- have the ability to go big if the game dictates.

2. He or Cook took our smaller defenders to the paint for easy baskets. When we doubled down that left guys like Moss/Baer open for 3's.
I believe a 4-1 is our best team the majority of the time, but there will be games where a lineup of Lard, Jacobson or Conditt will give an opponent problems. There a lot of top 20 teams that make a lot of 3's by playing 2 posts and 3 guards.

Using a rivalry game vs a team with a chip on their shoulder because we didn't offer any of them is not a good way to judge it IMO

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

JFC

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
You can't run Lard and Jacobsen at the same time because you don't have a sub. This is where the loss of Solomon is hurting us. Our only option for a bigger front line is to run Conditt at the 5 and move Lard to the 4. Another option is to run Talley with Lard or Jacobsen.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Using a rivalry game vs a team with a chip on their shoulder because we didn't offer any of them is not a good way to judge it IMO

Why not? Iowa did play with a little extra at CH but I don't think it was because ISU didn't recruit them. They played with intensity because it is their style of play. They get the ball in the paint, shoot a lot of 2's and free throws. IMO they also played physical and with attitude against ISU because they knew it would take us out of our game. A good strategy because it worked.

Last time I looked, most top 20 teams play with a "chip on their shoulder" the vast majority of their games. That's how they win conference titles and make deep runs in the NCAA Tournament.

• Winner
Reactions: Joel1

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You can't run Lard and Jacobsen at the same time because you don't have a sub. This is where the loss of Solomon is hurting us. Our only option for a bigger front line is to run Conditt at the 5 and move Lard to the 4. Another option is to run Talley with Lard or Jacobsen.

That might be true if people were saying we should start Lard & Jacobson and each play 30+ mpg. What I am saying and I think the OP was calling for was playing Lard and Jacobson together maybe 10-15 minutes of game time. If it creates issues for an opponent, then maybe they play more minutes together.

I also don't see a situation where Lard and Conditt would play together- either Jacobson & Lard or Jacobson & Conditt.

One interesting thing from Saturday's game- Jacobson played a really solid game but ended up with the 5 highest minutes because he and Lard share 40 minutes.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
We may see this next year unless Prentiss Nixson is so good that they need to start him and stay with the 4 guard lineup.