1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
As far as basketball, everybody else has nailed it. Fran's inability to recruit is killing UNI. UNI had Pemsl and Kriener in the bag until Fran came way late and dangled being a Hawk and playing in the Big 10 in front of them. Those two front court guys alone to go with UNIs guards make them the best team in the Valley this year. Throw in Phyfe missing the year and injuries to Pickford and Goldman and that's why UNI has been inconsistent. Green is going to be the best player in UNI history and is on pace to destroy the all time scoring record but is still kind of forcing things due to not having a great supporting cast. He'll be Valley POY in the future and he would have certainly seen minutes at Iowa State or Virginia this year if he'd decided to leave Cedar Falls.

From a department wide perspective we're on our second consecutive poor AD. Troy Dannen was a disaster that tried to run the department like he was still running the Girl's Union and had absolutely no big dreams or aspirations but did get the budget under control. Now David Harris can dream big and fund raises well but he has no earthly idea what he's doing as far as running a major college athletic program on a day to day basis. Had a staff mutiny that led to every other experienced person in the department to just flat out quit.

Football is what it is. Farley is a marvelous recruiter that has some of the best talent at the FCS level but, a lot like Paul Rhodes, can't get out of the way of his staff on game day and tries to control everything. Dannen also saddled him with the toughest FCS schedule in the country year in and year out. I've been in the Fire Farley crowd but, at the same time, I'm not sure you do much better unless you're okay with revolving door of young coaches.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I thought the speculation after Berry left is that we would bring Green in as an assistant, make AJ a walk-on for a season, then give him a scholarship the next year. It was not like they could not afford in-state tuition for a year (or give his dad a "signing bonus" of an equal amount), and I did not think they wanted to run anybody else off their scholarship.

The "obvious" one to do that to in August would have been Haliburton for them both playing the same position, and I think we see how disastrous that would have been considering Haliburturon is one of the best freshmen of the past decade. Interesting that you think he would be playing, though. He must be really good if he could find playing time in backcourt right considering how great our five guards/wings are playing so far this season.

Green will win CPOY before he's done. He's really good. We'd find minutes for him

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
As far as basketball, everybody else has nailed it. Fran's inability to recruit is killing UNI. UNI had Pemsl and Kriener in the bag until Fran came way late and dangled being a Hawk and playing in the Big 10 in front of them. Those two front court guys alone to go with UNIs guards make them the best team in the Valley this year. Throw in Phyfe missing the year and injuries to Pickford and Goldman and that's why UNI has been inconsistent. Green is going to be the best player in UNI history and is on pace to destroy the all time scoring record but is still kind of forcing things due to not having a great supporting cast. He'll be Valley POY in the future and he would have certainly seen minutes at Iowa State or Virginia this year if he'd decided to leave Cedar Falls.

From a department wide perspective we're on our second consecutive poor AD. Troy Dannen was a disaster that tried to run the department like he was still running the Girl's Union and had absolutely no big dreams or aspirations but did get the budget under control. Now David Harris can dream big and fund raises well but he has no earthly idea what he's doing as far as running a major college athletic program on a day to day basis. Had a staff mutiny that led to every other experienced person in the department to just flat out quit.

Football is what it is. Farley is a marvelous recruiter that has some of the best talent at the FCS level but, a lot like Paul Rhodes, can't get out of the way of his staff on game day and tries to control everything. Dannen also saddled him with the toughest FCS schedule in the country year in and year out. I've been in the Fire Farley crowd but, at the same time, I'm not sure you do much better unless you're okay with revolving door of young coaches.

Pemsl committed to Iowa early otherwise yes I agree with you

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
UNI would be a much, much, much better team if Austin Phyfe (6'9" and 235+) didn't have a medical condition that keeps him from playing this season.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Green will win CPOY before he's done. He's really good. We'd find minutes for him
Find minutes for him this year? Who would he take minutes from? This is one of the deepest backcourts ISU has ever had.
AJ would get minutes next year, but I can’t find any guard on ISU that would give him any significant minutes.
(He obviously plays early in the year when we were down 4 players, but not now with a full healthy roster)

Reactions: kingcy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Find minutes for him this year? Who would he take minutes from? This is one of the deepest backcourts ISU has ever had.
AJ would get minutes next year, but I can’t find any guard on ISU that would give him any significant minutes.
(He obviously plays early in the year when we were down 4 players, but not now with a full healthy roster)

That was my thought. Maybe he takes Wigginton's spot in the rotation while he is hurt instead of Lewis/Griffin and plays some spot minutes instead of Talley like things are now, but he would have to be really good to justify minutes over any of of these guys...

MS
NWB
TH
THT
Wigs

Have we had a better backcourt in school history?

Maybe Morris/Naz/Thomas/Burton/Jackson?

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonedave25

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Do you think he would be playing much now considering the five guards we have?

Would he be ahead of Talley? Would he have been ahead of Lewis or Griffin to start the season when we were down so much to injury and suspension?
That’s a good question. We have two point guard types in the top 5 in minutes played per game in the Big 12, and three guards overall in the top 15. With long term considerations, we could use them getting less minutes. But Green is essentially a less good Wigginton right now. On average, those minutes would likely go to Wigginton before Green, with some other minutes to Talley or Lewis for defensive considerations. In a computer simulation he’d be a great asset to have for when several guys are off, but from a practical standpoint, finding when to play your 6th guard is tough.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

He probably cuts into everyone's minutes some. I love Haliburton and Babb but if we have Green they're not getting 34 mpg

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
That was my thought. Maybe he takes Wigginton's spot in the rotation while he is hurt instead of Lewis/Griffin and plays some spot minutes instead of Talley like things are now, but he would have to be really good to justify minutes over any of of these guys...

MS
NWB
TH
THT
Wigs

Have we had a better backcourt in school history?

Maybe Morris/Naz/Thomas/Burton/Jackson?

If you had Green, you wouldn't have Haliburton.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Basketball moves fast. Kids don’t want to go to Cedar Falls to get ground up sitting and playing defense for 35 seconds with getting nothing out of it except a super slow ball control offense on the other end.
"I'll drink to that."
28911775001_5998494336001_5998491396001-vs.jpg

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If we had him we wouldn't have Haliburton but even with Haliburton yeah he'd play for sure. He's pretty good and there's a reason his dad had a lot of opportunities to go to a bigger school including ISU

CSP doesn't like playing a long of guys. It would be interesting to see how good he is compared to Griffin.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I hope their athletic department implodes.

Oh for sure. I, too, am all about taking opportunities away from 400+ kids with a large percentage of them being minorities. Definitely makes the world a better place. Taking those opportunities away from kids that wouldn't otherwise go to college is something I'm especially interested in.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
If you had Green, you wouldn't have Haliburton.
Pretty important piece of the discussion that's being overlooked. If Green was at ISU instead of Haliburton, he would definitely be playing significant minutes. Of course he looks worse at UNI this year than he would at ISU. Playing for a much better team tends to make you look like a better player and vice versa. I really wanted Green to come to Ames but I'm very happy with how things turned out. I thought best case scenario with Tyrese was he would develop into a solid player for us after 2 or 3 years but he already plays like a seasoned vet. Crazy thing is, he's only going to keep getting better.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Oh for sure. I, too, am all about taking opportunities away from 400+ kids with a large percentage of them being minorities. Definitely makes the world a better place. Taking those opportunities away from kids that wouldn't otherwise go to college is something I'm especially interested in.
Well 1 athletic department imploding doesn’t mean society is in trouble here.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jim Lahey

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Pretty important piece of the discussion that's being overlooked. If Green was at ISU instead of Haliburton, he would definitely be playing significant minutes. Of course he looks worse at UNI this year than he would at ISU. Playing for a much better team tends to make you look like a better player and vice versa. I really wanted Green to come to Ames but I'm very happy with how things turned out. I thought best case scenario with Tyrese was he would develop into a solid player for us after 2 or 3 years but he already plays like a seasoned vet. Crazy thing is, he's only going to keep getting better.

Iowa State has a better supporting cast, but that also means (1.) you role will be limited, such as Haliburton's role right now* and (2.) you are going to be playing against much better players and athletes in the Big 12 than you would be in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Figuring out how those all net out with each other is kind of hard without real data.

*I love Tyrese, and he is great, but he is not asked to do as much ball-handling as Nick or to create his own shot so much like Marial, Lindell, and Talen. He just has to keep the ball moving, read the defense, play good defense, and make his open threes when he has them. He is benefiting greatly from having upperclassmen around and a defined, limited role.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Iowa State has a better supporting cast, but that also means (1.) you role will be limited, such as Haliburton's role right now* and (2.) you are going to be playing against much better player and athletes in the Big 12 than you would be in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Figuring out how those all net out with each other is kind of hard without real data.
They aren’t a bad team because of Green, but they’re a bad team because Green in the role of best player/31% usage has a PER of 14. Teams need guys in that role to play at a high level.

But as a 6th guard, wallflower, he would probably excel.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
They aren’t a bad team because of Green, but they’re a bad team because Green in the role of best player/31% usage has a PER of 14. Teams need guys in that role to play at a high level.

But as a 6th guard, wallflower, he would probably excel.

Not many sixth guards play much.