Gas or Charcoal?

What method do you prefer when you grill?

• Gas - as Hank Hill says "taste the meat not the heat"

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • Charcoal - just tastes better this way right?

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • Other - maybe you like the caveman way of grilling with an open fire on a rotisserie spit?

Votes: 9 9.8%

• Total voters

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The A1 vs Heinz poll made me want to create this one as it is relevant to that debate.

I prefer to use charcoal whenever I can. It's all I use to grill or use in my offset smoker with some wood at home but for tailgating I use a small gas grill because charcoal is just too messy and a pain to deal with when you have to pack the grill in the back of your car.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Eat it raw like it was intended. You don't see lions, bears and tigers cooking the animals after they catch them.

Are you Dee Snyder??

TwistedSister_AlbumCover_StayHungry.jpg

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Charcoal for me (And a pellet Grill for low cooking). For no other reason than that's all I had. I was gifted a nice weber kettle grill when my wife and I were first married and said the next grill would be a top notch gas model. Well, when I cooked on my in-laws gas grill, I would either burn everything or not cook it enough, so I never bothered to buy one because I felt i'd have to learn all over again.

I just can't get used to the flare ups on a gas grill.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I love charcoal grilling. The whole experience of getting it all set up, getting the coals going just right, and enjoying a beer or two while all that happens is great.

However, I have 2 young kids. It's all gas at the Ctown house at this point.

Could've copied and pasted your post. When the kids are older and I have a little more time for myself I'll probably switch back to charcoal AND invest in a smoker but right now I just don't have enough time.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Charcoal for me. Don't understand how charcoal takes that much longer than gas.
Gas can get to 400 deg in 5 minutes and you don't have to get anything out of the shed or deck box.
With my charcoal I get the chimney, remove top grate, get the charcoal and pour in, light the newspaper, wait 20-30 min, then pour the charcoal out, put the chimney somewhere to cool off, then put the grate back on, then let it get to 400.

When done I shut off the gas tank and leave the lid open while I eat, when I'm done eating shut the lid and done.
When done with charcoal, I shut all the vents, it takes longer to cool down, then cleanup the ashes.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
You should be able to get your coals hot enough to start grilling in about 10-15 minutes if you use a charcoal chimney to start them. Keeps the briquettes confined where they will heat up faster. Once I dump mine out and put the grill grate on by the time I go inside and get the meat it's ready to go.

077924073939.jpg

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Gas can get to 400 deg in 5 minutes and you don't have to get anything out of the shed or deck box.
With my charcoal I get the chimney, remove top grate, get the charcoal and pour in, light the newspaper, wait 20-30 min, then pour the charcoal out, put the chimney somewhere to cool off, then put the grate back on, then let it get to 400.

When done I shut off the gas tank and leave the lid open while I eat, when I'm done eating shut the lid and done.
When done with charcoal, I shut all the vents, it takes longer to cool down, then cleanup the ashes.

I have a Weber Performer and really don't need to do half of this stuff. Charcoal is stored under the table. It has a gas assist to light it. While it is getting lit, I go inside and prep my food. Usually by the time I'm done prepping, my charcoal is ready so no time lost at all. When I'm done, I just close the vents and use the sweeper to sweep the ashes into the pan.

I do agree Gas is easier and quicker, but it isn't that much easier or quicker. Plus I love the versatility with charcoal that is a lot harder to replicate with gas.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
You should be able to get your coals hot enough to start grilling in about 10-15 minutes if you use a charcoal chimney to start them. Keeps the briquettes confined where they will heat up faster. Once I dump mine out and put the grill grate on by the time I go inside and get the meat it's ready to go.

077924073939.jpg

Yeah, that's nice. Or... you could

GrimyFarflungKissingbug-size_restricted.gif

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Ah you beat me to my post while I was typing it! It shouldn't take that long to get your coals hot. I dump mine out when I can tell the bottom half is nice and hot and by the time the air hits the top half that were just getting started the whole pile of them are no longer black in a matter of minutes once that open air hits them. Usually from the time I light the coals to when the meat hits the hot grill is about 15-20 minutes and I usually have to put the lid on right away to cool down the temp a bit otherwise once the juices start to hit the coals it flares up pretty quickly.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have a Weber Performer and really don't need to do half of this stuff. Charcoal is stored under the table. It has a gas assist to light it. While it is getting lit, I go inside and get lit while I prep my food. Usually by the time I'm done prepping, my charcoal is ready so no time lost at all. When I'm done, I just close the vents and use the sweeper to sweep the ashes into the pan.

I do agree Gas is easier and quicker, but it isn't that much easier or quicker. Plus I love the versatility with charcoal that is a lot harder to replicate with gas.

Fixed it for ya :)

• Funny
Reactions: iahawks