New AP Poll

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know the human voters work differently than the computers (*cough* they're biased and carry over preconceptions from the preseason polls and season-to-season without much bearing on them *cough*), but we really deserve more the 12 to 15 range.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Half the conference ranked. Going to be another dogfight this year in conference play. Defending the home court will be critical.

Definitely a dogfight, and having that many ranked teams early in the conference season usually means that the conference keeps several ranked teams as the conference battles play out, with some rising up, and some dropping out. Those five do look like the top teams in the conference right now.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I know the human voters work differently than the computers (*cough* they're biased and carry over preconceptions from the preseason polls and season-to-season without much bearing on them *cough*), but we really deserve more the 12 to 15 range.

Not with that Iowa loss. We've got to do more to get rid of that stink.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not with that Iowa loss. We've got to do more to get rid of that stink.

I know we like making fun of Iowa.

Barttovik has them #34 and KenPom had them #43.

They are not that bad of a team. They are better than they were last year.

Losing on the road to a team like that is not that shameful.

If it was not the rivalry game, and instead something like us losing to Kansas State in Manhattan or UT in Austin, we would not care so much.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

If it was not the rivalry game, and instead something like us losing to Kansas State in Manhattan or UT in Austin, we would not care so much.

Yeah, I'm guessing they finish in the top 75 or 100 anyway.

Reactions: aauummm

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

The problem is that they play like a Top Ten team in the Superbowl but just don't care (or something) on the road in the Big X and play like a mid-major team.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, I'm guessing they finish in the top 75 or 100 anyway.

They would have to fall precipitously (and I am talking losing virtually all of their remaining games by large margins) to actually do something like that.

They will end up something between 25 and 50, if I cast a wide net.

We have enough sample size now to know what they are -- they are a blah, below average team in the Big Ten, good enough to maybe fight for an NCAA tournament invitation and reach up to bite some better teams, but with a rather limited ceiling.

That win against Nebraska last night was pretty good. So was their win against us.

They can be pretty good. They are just not that good on very many nights.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

I'm not making fun of them. Their numbers are still propped up by early season wins that aren't that good anymore. Unless something changes they're not a tournament team. We played our worst game against an average to decent team and got it handed to us. Voters care a lot less about the whole "rivalry" thing than we do.

It'll work out fine, I just dont think we should be top 15 YET with that one hanging out there. 'Zona isn't helping us any either.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt