Question Re: Bored At Work

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My job regularly erupts into chaos which needs to be dealt with fairly quickly. When it's quiet, I get time to clean up the normal stuff or check out my favorite Cyclone website and de-stress. I guess I take the lulls as they come and appreciate them.

I don't consider myself as someone that gets bored very quickly though. Growing up, my parents ALWAYS had a cure for boredom. I struck that word from my vocabulary at an early age.
DK99KUl.gif

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
To continue that thought, in each position I've been in, there has been a point where I felt really bored with what I was doing. Most of the time, if I just put my head down and plowed ahead, that feeling would pass as the situation evolved (maybe new responsibilities, maybe something else would change). Sometimes you can assess the situation and come up with a new way of doing things that freshens it up, or maybe you can come up with something new to do (that might even be appreciated by your boss).

Reactions: throwittoblythe

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Funny you say that. When I'm in these slow cycles, all I can think about is working in my wood shop at home. Sometimes I spend my down time at work brainstorming new designs to build in my shop.

Wouldn't it be great if salary work allowed you to work less than 40 hours a week? I'd love an arrangement where my boss said "Work the hours you need to when we have active pursuits, but the rest of the time is yours to use as you'd like." I'd spend 100% of that extra time in my shop at home. No doubt.

Since you are bored, got any wood shop ideas on using old 2x4 redwood? I have some scraps piece and some old salvage from my deck (screw holes 16" o.c.). Ends rotted and bottoms a little bit so replaced the decking but the boards were too good to just toss. Need some sort of some outdoor project use.

Did this little path bridge this from the best of the scraps this summer.

39207141_10212607222683093_6451350412590055424_n.jpg

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Since you are bored, got any wood shop ideas on using old 2x4 redwood? I have some scraps piece and some old salvage from my deck (screw holes 16" o.c.). Ends rotted and bottoms a little bit so replaced the decking but the boards were too good to just toss. Need some sort of some outdoor project use.

Maybe cut them down and make some furniture? Adirondack chairs or something?

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
To continue that thought, in each position I've been in, there has been a point where I felt really bored with what I was doing. Most of the time, if I just put my head down and plowed ahead, that feeling would pass as the situation evolved (maybe new responsibilities, maybe something else would change). Sometimes you can assess the situation and come up with a new way of doing things that freshens it up, or maybe you can come up with something new to do (that might even be appreciated by your boss).

TWSS

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
My job regularly erupts into chaos which needs to be dealt with fairly quickly. When it's quiet, I get time to clean up the normal stuff or check out my favorite Cyclone website and de-stress. I guess I take the lulls as they come and appreciate them.

I don't consider myself as someone that gets bored very quickly though. Growing up, my parents ALWAYS had a cure for boredom. I struck that word from my vocabulary at an early age.
This sounds like my job. I'm a terrible procrastinator, and because all my work has a short deadline, I've apparently been training for this job my whole life.

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
It fascinates me that salaried employees feel like they have to “kill time” at work. If you have a peaks and valleys type job, go home/ do something else in the valleys. If you work hard during peaks why are you wasting your time on the other end?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It fascinates me that salaried employees feel like they have to “kill time” at work. If you have a peaks and valleys type job, go home/ do something else in the valleys. If you work hard during peaks why are you wasting your time on the other end?

I agree 100% but it's a societal norm that needs to break. Our society says if you're salary, you work as long as is needed without extra pay, but don't dare work less than 40 hrs when things are slow. I think it's something that is changing at more progressive companies with new family leave policies, eliminating vacation, etc.

I don't think things would go well if I didn't come to work for two weeks and worked in my wood shop. Even though I had nothing to do at work during that time. Just a fact, in my opinion. I'd love to hear the other side of the argument though.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I get bored when I'm not busy but I find stuff to do - build personal financial spreadsheets, etc. I think part of my problem is, like most elementary schoolkids, I only really want to do what I want to do when I want to do it. There are parts of my job I like and parts I hate - but I still would rather do something else. I looked into career changes, like school counseling, financial adviser, or teacher - something where I could be busy all day and make a real immediate impact on people, but never pulled the trigger. The older I get the more I feel trapped by the choices I've made.

Edit- let's be honest. You (or I) can run away but our problems will always find us. I don't think it's solely a career question, it's a happiness question.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Funny you say that. When I'm in these slow cycles, all I can think about is working in my wood shop at home. Sometimes I spend my down time at work brainstorming new designs to build in my shop.

Wouldn't it be great if salary work allowed you to work less than 40 hours a week? I'd love an arrangement where my boss said "Work the hours you need to when we have active pursuits, but the rest of the time is yours to use as you'd like." I'd spend 100% of that extra time in my shop at home. No doubt.

In some places (field pending) people are allowed to work essentially on their own time so long as whatever needs to be done is done by a due date, incentive free and the productivity isn't much different than those with incentives/bonuses etc. in the typical 9-5 atmosphere. Again field pending. I think they tend to be more fulfilling/stress free too.

A boring job can be tricky but I'm ok with having a generally simple job that allows for me to enjoy life outside of it.

One thing I've learned is like pretty much everything in life, no job is perfect or great all of the time.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
More companies are going to a 4 days a week for 10 or 4 x 8.

I’d be in favor of that to add another weekend day.

I also think a lot of jobs could be done at home. Being forced to go into the office when i can do all the work at home and Skype when I need to talk to others seems like a no brainer. Plus this would save costs for the company as well.

Keep a mobbing station/meeting room if you need to meet in person would be a solution as well.

I’d like to hear counter arguments why it should stay as being to work in the same location for jobs that can be done remotely.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

I've made some really nice planters out of redwood and also out of cedar. I did it basically out of scraps, but I also had a buddy who had 1x4, 2x4, 2x6 and 1x12 stuff laying around. You don't see 1x12 cedar very often.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I was at one company out of college for about 8 years, and was often bored. I was a little over-qualified for the position so that didn't help. They tried to keep giving me more responsibilities, but it got to a point that I felt I had advanced as much as possible so I decided to go elsewhere.

I've been at my current company nearly a year & a half now, and I RARELY get bored - when I do it's never more than an hour or two. When I started this gig I considered myself slightly under-qualified. I've recently been promoted, so I've had a lot to learn the entire time I've been here - hard to be bored with that combo. Job is fast-paced with monthly deadlines, so often feels nonstop. Sometimes the stress/pressure is welcomed, and sometimes I hate it. It's a pretty good balance for me, and I'm very happy with where I'm at.

That being said, I'm constantly brainstorming ideas of businesses I could open. I'd really like to 'be my own boss' and get to a point where I have other people do the majority of the 'work' for me. If I could somehow be to a point in my 50's where I'm all but retired/only working half or so time, that'd be ideal.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Edit- let's be honest. You (or I) can run away but our problems will always find us. I don't think it's solely a career question, it's a happiness question.

Good thoughts. I’m a lot like you. When I’m busy my job is great, but when I get bored, I start to think about “grass is greener” things. One of the big changes for me that I struggle with is no longer being a “ladder climber.” Early in my career, I was all about the next promotion, the right connections, etc. Now I’m more comfortable in my own skin so I don’t care about all that extra crap. I’m glad i gave that up, but it can also manifest into complacency.

I agree with your last point too. Repeatedly changing jobs isnt going to fix a core issue. That’s why im trying to do some self reflection to figure out the core issue. Maybe I’m overthinking it and it’s just a slow phase at work, nothing more.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I was at one company out of college for about 8 years, and was often bored. I was a little over-qualified for the position so that didn't help. They tried to keep giving me more responsibilities, but it got to a point that I felt I had advanced as much as possible so I decided to go elsewhere.

I've been at my current company nearly a year & a half now, and I RARELY get bored - when I do it's never more than an hour or two. When I started this gig I considered myself slightly under-qualified. I've recently been promoted, so I've had a lot to learn the entire time I've been here - hard to be bored with that combo. Job is fast-paced with monthly deadlines, so often feels nonstop. Sometimes the stress/pressure is welcomed, and sometimes I hate it. It's a pretty good balance for me, and I'm very happy with where I'm at.

That being said, I'm constantly brainstorming ideas of businesses I could open. I'd really like to 'be my own boss' and get to a point where I have other people do the majority of the 'work' for me. If I could somehow be to a point in my 50's where I'm all but retired/only working half or so time, that'd be ideal.

I have similar thoughts as you. I’m a pretty hard worker and also a self starter if I have goal in mind. I think I could do much better as my own boss because that in and of itself is motivating.

My first job out of college lasted 7 years and I was busy all the time. Everything was task based and there was always a million tasks to do so no chance for down time. Now im adjusting to a different work flow.

Last edited: