Iowa State - Hok Game on Fox Sports 1 - Blacked out on Sling!

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I'm sticking with Sling for now because I actually want crappy content. They are the only ones that let me set LOWER quality to save on our stupid data caps. They do black out a few games that are Big X content but it usually is a Big X game so who the heck cares. At least I know that I am not sending ANY money to F*&& Iowa.

We'll just find a more creative solution tonight.
You should just do a free trial with any of the other streaming services and cancel if you don’t want to continue the service. Unless you have already used up free trials with all the services or want to go out for the game.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll head to the bar up the street to watch it with the tavern hok baby brother clowns.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The only reason we have Sling is so my girlfriend can get the Pac 12 network. I wanted to get PSVue.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You should just do a free trial with any of the other streaming services and cancel if you don’t want to continue the service. Unless you have already used up free trials with all the services or want to go out for the game.

That is a lot of unessecary work. The streams aren't that hard to find and

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
I have always wondered about the term “cord cutters”. How are you getting the Internet to your house? Wouldn’t that be over a cord, aka a phone line? And for all the savings, are you adding in the cost of an unlimited data plan with an ISP?

• Informative
Reactions: Gordilly

Icky_Mettle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Ames
Sling stood theirground 2 years ago when the BIG got their new TV contracts with ESPN and Fox. Fox wanted more money and Sling told them no and that their existing contract already had the BIG content and it didn't warrant an increased fee. As a Sling subscriber this blackout is a small price to pay to not give the BIG any more money. Sling also doesn't have BTN which is a plus as well...

This is the only reason I have stuck with Sling.

Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I have always wondered about the term “cord cutters”. How are you getting the Internet to your house? Wouldn’t that be over a cord, aka a phone line? And for all the savings, are you adding in the cost of an unlimited data plan with an ISP?
It depends on what streaming package you get. Sling offers as low as $20 packages. That's pretty cheap. You get what you pay for instead of paying for 100 channels and using 8-10, you can pay for 30-40 channels and use 8-10.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
It depends on what streaming package you get. Sling offers as low as $20 packages. That's pretty cheap. You get what you pay for instead of paying for 100 channels and using 8-10, you can pay for 30-40 channels and use 8-10.

8-10 channels for $40. And no ISU iowa game, and no NBC, and 2 streams only, plus $80+ for Internet service.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
8-10 channels for $40. And no ISU iowa game, and no NBC, and 2 streams only, plus $80+ for Internet service.

You're wrong. The $40 includes both Orange and Blue, which has over 50 channels. And this is the first time I've ever seen an Iowa State/Iowa game blacked out in two years. It has On-Demand NBC and FX and FXX, a $10 antenna can get me the live channels just fine.

Who tf isn't paying for internet already? And who tf pays $80 for internet? I get 100Mbps for $50.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I still have PS Vue, but am wanting to switch to youtube tv, went to the site, has me enter my zip code and says "not available in my area". Ankeny. That cant be right, right???

PS Vue is great, but they keep on raising rates, now more taxes are being added next month. I will cancel as soon as bball is over. Or find a way to get ISU games somehow.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
My internet service is around $60. 6 months out of the year I don't even have Sling, the other 6 months I do pay $45 to make sure I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and FS1. If I didn't need FS1 I would only need to pay $25. That's way cheaper than paying $100+ for directv and I would still pay around $40-$50 for internet anyway. We get NBC through antennae. Having the game tonight blocked out sucks, but its literally 1 game out of the whole year. I'll sign up for a free trial of hulu or psVue for it.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
WTF! My girlfriend and I just subscribed to sling so we could watch bball games without going to the bar every weekend! :mad: Additionally, we can't leave sling because she went to a Pac12 school, and as far as we know, they are the only one that offers the Pac12 network.

The only reason we have Sling is so my girlfriend can get the Pac 12 network. I wanted to get PSVue.
You need a new GF....

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
My internet service is around $60. 6 months out of the year I don't even have Sling, the other 6 months I do pay $45 to make sure I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and FS1. If I didn't need FS1 I would only need to pay $25. That's way cheaper than paying $100+ for directv and I would still pay around $40-$50 for internet anyway. We get NBC through antennae. Having the game tonight blocked out sucks, but its literally 1 game out of the whole year. I'll sign up for a free trial of hulu or psVue for it.

Thanks for the info. Just seems like a lot of signing up and canceling and changing around how your viewing. Especially if you have more than 2 in your house. And a wife who hates tech stuff and yells at me if something doesn’t work.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Thanks for the info. Just seems like a lot of signing up and canceling and changing around how your viewing. Especially if you have more than 2 in your house. And a wife who hates tech stuff and yells at me if something doesn’t work.
Its not too bad. Sling and PSVUE are pretty easy to sign up for and cancel. It takes like 5-6 minutes tops. Its not like trying to cancel an internet or cable subscription. You can do it all on their website. You definitely need a fast enough internet service and high data caps to handle it though. The big draw back (at least with Sling) is you can't record anything as far as I know, so its just live tv with some shows available on demand. We mainly use it for live sports.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron