Fant is going pro

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
In my opinion, there are only 2 groups that significantly benefit from non-NY6/playoff bowl games.
1) Coaches/players that are coming back next season significantly benefit from the extra practices.
2) The bowl game organization and their community rake in revenue

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I would love to hear the explanation behind this statement. What do you want them to do? Be conscripted into playing?

I suppose next year when we make the Fiesta Bowl youll be extremely happy that Montgomery and Butler both decided to skip the biggest game in school history because they were scared of an injury right?

Think about it next time before you post nonsense.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It's a glorified exhibition game. Iowa's season is over for all intents and purposes and he has millions of dollars on the line, yet you think he owes it to his teammates to play in a meaningless game? That's a hot take.

You obviously never played any competitive sports.

• Dislike
Reactions: jmb

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
I think it is fair to say that the best players sitting out bowl games hurts the game but also understand and support why they might choose to do so.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10 and CyTwins

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I hear you. I just don't think it is going to change the game that much. It really doesn't change the betting line much.

I think you're probably right in most instances. Football is such a team game that even the best player at many positions likely won't affect the game all that much, with a couple exceptions -- if there was a first-round quarterback at a school which doesn't typically have a deep bench, that can really hurt.

In some ways, when you know that person is gone, maybe it gives you as a fan a chance to see who might be up next on your team, which can be fun.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I suppose next year when we make the Fiesta Bowl youll be extremely happy that Montgomery and Butler both decided to skip the biggest game in school history because they were scared of an injury right?

I'm pretty sure if Iowa was playing in a national playoff game that Fant would be playing. Same if Iowa State was with Montgomery/Butler. But other bowl games are meaningless and to subject yourself to injury, both with the game and the additional practice when you're not coming back is stupid. I see exactly why these guys that are projected 1st rounders do it.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'm pretty sure if Iowa was playing in a national playoff game that Fant would be playing. Same if Iowa State was with Montgomery/Butler. But other bowl games are meaningless and to subject yourself to injury, both with the game and the additional practice when you're not coming back is stupid. I see exactly why these guys that are projected 1st rounders do it.

So all first rounders sit out their bowl games? Obviously it means more to some of them than others. I guess Im just old school, sitting here arguing with a bunch of 20 year olds.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Oh, idk, maybe honor their scholarship and not sell out on teammates because you are so scared of getting hurt? Seriously, grow up, this exactly what people talk about when they are talking about the snowflake generation.

You think guys 20, even 10 years ago were just deciding not to play when they were perfectly healthy because there is a chance to get hurt? This reminds me of the Noland thread when I called him out, then everyone got all triggered saying he might get hurt so he just quit in the middle of the season.

Bowl games used to be my favorite time of the entire season, I feel like its going to get worse every year if players continue this trend of sitting out. Where does it stop? A guy who thinks he's going to get drafted in the 6th round decides he doesnt want to risk it so calls it quits?

So, this wasn't really what I was trying to discuss, but okay..

It is really unfair to be calling high-level football players "snowflakes". You are 1 play away from your career being completely over. One. And you know what? Being a bowl-winning football player who can't play football anymore because you got hurt means NOTHING. Absolutely ****** NOTHING. You don't get a job from that, you don't get healthcare, you get jack ****.

For the highest of the high-level draft picks, who are just waiting to get paid, because that is their career on the line, what good does one more volunteer game do for them? We all expect them to go out there and leave it on the field, give up their bodies! Yeah, okay, for what? Your entertainment? Get over it. And they already know they're gonna be a first round pick. One more game isn't gonna do anything to help their draft stock. Have a bad game? It hurts them. Get hurt? Hurts them even worse. And football is a **** tough game, guys get hurt all the time.

A lot of things are issues with these posts. You're claiming they are "snowflakes" while getting triggered to ******* hell about the fact that they are sitting out? You are raging about this right now, and you have the audacity to call them snowflakes? GTFO.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

So it just so happens that the opinion you disagree with is nonsense? Well that’s convenient.

I don’t think anyone is saying they’d be happy, just that they’d understand. If we weren’t in the playoffs next year and they decided to skip the bowl i’d definitely be disappointed, but i’d also understand why they did it and wouldn’t be throwing them under the bus.

I guess Im just old school, sitting here arguing with a bunch of people actually showing some perspective.
FTFY, *******

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So, this wasn't really what I was trying to discuss, but okay..

It is really unfair to be calling high-level football players "snowflakes". You are 1 play away from your career being completely over. One. And you know what? Being a bowl-winning football player who can't play football anymore because you got hurt means NOTHING. Absolutely ****** NOTHING. You don't get a job from that, you don't get healthcare, you get jack ****.

For the highest of the high-level draft picks, who are just waiting to get paid, because that is their career on the line, what good does one more volunteer game do for them? We all expect them to go out there and leave it on the field, give up their bodies! Yeah, okay, for what? Your entertainment? Get over it. And they already know they're gonna be a first round pick. One more game isn't gonna do anything to help their draft stock. Have a bad game? It hurts them. Get hurt? Hurts them even worse. And football is a **** tough game, guys get hurt all the time.

A lot of things are issues with these posts. You're claiming they are "snowflakes" while getting triggered to ******* hell about the fact that they are sitting out? You are raging about this right now, and you have the audacity to call them snowflakes? GTFO.

Solid rant but by your logic guys that are going to get drafted in the first round shouldnt even play at all. So I guess my point is where does it end? Now guys are going to sit out an entire season while still on scholarship because they might get hurt? Guys now projected in the 6th round decide that a practice team contract is too valuable for them to risk getting hurt?

You GTFO with this weak attitude. I played competitive sports my entire life and in college, not once did I even think about missing a game or letting me teammates down. If you are so scared of getting hurt every play might as well take up another activity.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Not even sure why certain players even play their last year at all. Guys like Fournette and Clowney come to mind. Clowney played his entire JR. year not to get hurt and was actually pretty terrible. But I can't blame him for playing that way.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Solid rant but by your logic guys that are going to get drafted in the first round shouldnt even play at all. So I guess my point is where does it end? Now guys are going to sit out an entire season while still on scholarship because they might get hurt? Guys now projected in the 6th round decide that a practice team contract is too valuable for them to risk getting hurt?

You GTFO with this weak attitude. I played competitive sports my entire life and in college, not once did I even think about missing a game or letting me teammates down. If you are so scared of getting hurt every play might as well take up another activity.

Easy to say that when injury wasn't a risk that could cost you millions of dollars in the future.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
ISU Fan is more upset with Fant than all of the other Iowa fans on here.

Literally no one ******* cares about your moral compass, including every single Hawkeye fan in this thread. Congratulations.