Maui activities

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
My procrastination bit me in the ass and i missed out on getting tickets for the Haleakalā sunrise . Any cyclones doing the hike that would have room in their car for my wife and i? I promise we’re not serial killers.

Last edited:

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
We really thought about it, but deemed the sunset much easier with our vacation schedule :) Just couldn't convince my self to wake up at 2am for this. Plus the sunset doesn't require any registration/tickets.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Don't do the drive to Hana.
Why? Could you elaborate? Wife and I did it last January and loved it. Yes, it pretty much takes the whole day but the experience I will never forget- especially the Pipiwai Trail hike through the Haleakala NP on the backside of island ending at the 400' Waimoku Falls.

• Winner
Reactions: JT88 and VeloClone

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Why? Could you elaborate? Wife and I did it last January and loved it. Yes, it pretty much takes the whole day but the experience I will never forget- especially the Pipiwai Trail hike through the Haleakala NP on the backside of island ending at the 400' Waimoku Falls.

My experience was that it wasn't worth it as I got car sick from the 600 switchbacks. On top of that you almost die on about 300 of those switchbacks. I would've much rather just sat on the beach.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I didn't do the hike, but I have done a biking tour where they bus you up to the top to see the sunrise, and then you bike back down. Pretty cool.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

My wife and I did the road to Hana and loved it as well, however, when we went, it was also in November and Hawaii's rainy season. Many of the little pools by the waterfalls and 'O'he'o Gulch were too dangerous to enter like their drier times.

Our favorite thing was getting on a snorkling tour of the Molokini Crater.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
2 things you must do in Maui....Halli hike and road to Hana.. done then both times I went there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I didn't do the hike, but I have done a biking tour where they bus you up to the top to see the sunrise, and then you bike back down. Pretty cool.
Yes. My wife and I did this years ago on our honeymoon. You don't have to be a cyclist either. On the van ride up they asked each person when the last time was they were on a bike. I heard a lot of "8th grade" or "high school". Our responses of riding over 1,000 miles a year were far, far from the norm. They have guides who take you down to make sure no one gets out of control and the bikes are tanks with monster brakes. It is around 40 miles and I think we actually pedaled for less than half a mile. Going from over 10,000 feet to sea level in that short of distance on a bike is pretty cool. The breakfast at a local diner was good too.

For everyone going to Haleakela at dawn with whatever excursion be prepared for the possibility of seeing little of the sunrise. It was clear before sunrise but the clouds quickly rolled in just before dawn for us. That isn't terribly uncommon.

We did a crater hike on our own the last time we were there. Just be prepared for the hike back out to be 3 times as hard as the hike in. You are climbing continuously and at 10,000 feet of altitude. We were fine, but ironically the couple from Denver that we met in the crater were really struggling.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: DeftOne and Messi

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes. My wife and I did this years ago on our honeymoon. You don't have to be a cyclist either. On the van ride up they asked each person when the last time was they were on a bike. I heard a lot of "8th grade" or "high school". Our responses of riding over 1,000 miles a year were far, far from the norm. They have guides who take you down to make sure no one gets out of control and the bikes are tanks with monster brakes. It is around 40 miles and I think we actually pedaled for less than half a mile. Going from over 10,000 feet to sea level in that short of distance on a bike is pretty cool. The breakfast at a local diner was good too.

For everyone going to Haleakela at dawn with whatever excursion be prepared for the possibility of seeing little of the sunrise. It was clear before sunrise but the clouds quickly rolled in just before dawn for us. That isn't terribly uncommon.

We did a crater hike on our own the last time we were there. Just be prepared for the hike back out to be 3 times as hard as the hike in. You are climbing continuously and at 10,000 feet of altitude. We were fine, but ironically the couple from Denver that we met in the crater were really struggling.

Interesting. I didn't do the bike down trip because I haven't regularly ridden a bike in a long time and I'm kinda fat. Maybe I can find an open spot.

I also think we need to make this a general "what to do in Maui" thread. I'm leaving tomorrow and only have a few things planned.

• Agree

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My wife and I did the road to Hana and loved it as well, however, when we went, it was also in November and Hawaii's rainy season. Many of the little pools by the waterfalls and 'O'he'o Gulch were too dangerous to enter like their drier times.

Our favorite thing was getting on a snorkling tour of the Molokini Crater.
The first time we drove the road to Hana it rained the night before and was raining that day. We had to be careful because you might go around a curve and find a loader and dump truck clearing the road of fallen rock and mud. You shouldn't be in a hurry on that drive anyway; that's not the point. This is coming from a guy who is in a hurry everywhere.

Another time we did the 400' waterfall hike. Hiking through a giant bamboo forest was fantastic especially on a windy day. The sounds the bamboo squeaking and knocking together was nothing like what I would have imagined.

Snorkeling at Molokini was a lot of fun even for a couple who had never snorkeled before. We bought disposable waterproof cameras for it but I'm sure there are better options for making your phone waterproof for nearly unlimited photos now.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DeftOne

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Interesting. I didn't do the bike down trip because I haven't regularly ridden a bike in a long time and I'm kinda fat. Maybe I can find an open spot.

I also think we need to make this a general "what to do in Maui" thread. I'm leaving tomorrow and only have a few things planned.
If you can stay upright on a moving bike and can grip a hand brake you can do that tour. They gave us a full rain suit and full face helmet. We could shed the rain suit at any of the stops we made going down the mountain. They put us in order from lightest first to heaviest last and you weren't allowed to pass the person ahead of you. They have a guide at the front and a guide at the back controlling the group's speed and watching out for everyone. As it became clear that everyone was handling it okay they said that the leader was going to go faster on some more open stretches and let us get some speed up. My wife had a great time on that stretch but the woman just in front of me was a nervous Nelly and held the back half of the group back from picking up some speed. That is about the only complaint on the whole excursion - and it really wasn't a that big of a deal anyway.

It was kind of funny the way the front guides would sit almost sideways on their saddles so they could see the group of riders behind them while riding down the mountain. At the first stop my guide approached me and mentioned about my 1,500 mile estimate of how many miles I had ridden that year. He said that he had been thinking about it and he thought he had ridden that in about the last 3 weeks.

• Funny
Reactions: DeftOne

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The Maui Ocean Center is kind of cool for a few hours. It is supposedly the largest tropical reef aquarium in the western hemisphere. It is at Maalaea which is about a third of the way along the route from the airport at Kahului to Lahaina.

There used to be a small whaling museum in Lahaina but I'm not sure it is still there. It was enough to keep us occupied while waiting for our reservation at a restaurant.

Also, have some fish tacos. They are awesome.

If you generally go to church and you find that your travel has you in Hawai'i on Sunday morning go to church there as well. Some of them are pretty much like a church on the mainland (like the Catholic church in Kihei) but others are quite a bit different. It was pretty cool to be sitting in a church in Lahaina listening to the ocean through the open doors at the back of the church. I believe they also have a beachside church service outside in Lahaina as well.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Am I the only poor one on CF that would need to win the lottery in order to know what in the hell you guys are talking about?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

1. Make a quick stop in WI to pick me up and take me along

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Road to Hana is a "probably should do". Having said that, now that I did it once I will never do it again. Be careful if you get motion sickness, switchbacks will get you. At the end of the road hit the seven pools. If your are a dog lover, there is a place at the beginning of the drive where you can buy lunch and they'll "lend" you a dog to keep you company for the day, then you drop it off at the end of the road. Dogs know exactly where they are going, almost like having a tour guide. You are not supposed to take rental cars around the Eastern point, I had no intentions io doing the drive again so I took my chances, sketchy road so I wouldn't advise it .

People have hit the highlights, Molokini is awesome . Luaus are fun. If you are into such things, Honolua Bay is one of the best waves in the world, perfect. You can't surf it but you can watch insanely good surfers on insanely perfect waves. If there is big swell in the water, there is a wave on the road to Hana that is one of the biggest in the world. Jaws, also called Peahi, will get 70+ feet if you are lucky enough to be there at the right time.

• Informative

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
My wife and I are doing the Pineapple tour & distillery, one of the hike waterfall tours and then the old Lahaina luau on Thanksgiving. We will also hit up Maui brewing co.