Which Cyclone Big 12 title happens first?

What do you think will happen sooner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
So for 2 seasons now I've been looking at the Cyclones position in the Big 12 conference at the end of October and the route to the Championship game has seemed legitimately possible, and as we've seen the Cyclones can beat anyone in the conference.

It got me thinking that a Big 12 football championship is not something that I think of as outside of the realm of possibility.

I see both sports as possible, but almost have started thinking KU BB is a bigger hurdle to clearn than football. I believe this FB program will be in the championship in the next 5 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were this season or next.

Thoughts?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
If winning the Big12 means winning the big 12 championship game, I'll say that.

As long as KU is accredited for the basket weaving school it is, it will win basketball

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
If winning the Big12 means winning the big 12 championship game, I'll say that.

As long as KU is accredited for the basket weaving school it is, it will win basketball

Would agree on that being most likely. I was looking at regular season for Basketball.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Football... The big 12 has some of the best coaches in the country for basketball, football doesn't even compare. Easier to out scheme the lesser football coaches than to do it in basketball at the big 12. Plus Kansas pays their players. So they have one of the best coaches in a basketball and the best players money can buy.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
50/50 split right now. I think that validates Jared's column from last week that ISU fan mentality has turned a corner. There is equal confidence in Football as basketball, which is usually pretty high.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
2 years ago I would have said basketball. I would have never dreamed we would be in this position this quick in football. However, Campbell is doing this with young players. If we don’t win it this year, I think we win the football championship in the next 3-4 years.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
50/50 split right now. I think that validates Jared's column from last week that ISU fan mentality has turned a corner. There is equal confidence in Football as basketball, which is usually pretty high.

I mean beyond that, to win the big 12 you just have to be top 2 and then win one more game.

To win the big 12 basketball regular season you have to be be #1, which is a bit harder. More comparable would be finishing #1 in the regular season standings.

But yes, either way the confidence is higher. Not all that long ago #1-2 would have been completely written off and just finishing in the middle would be 'ok'. Amazing how quickly it has changed.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I went with football, since CMC is so highly regarded among those who really know the game of football. 50/50 would have been my first choice, though. I am really just grateful both programs produce a highly entertaining product, and we can even think such thoughts. That is a huge change from 10 years ago.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This brings up the broader question of Texas and Oklahoma fan bases saying they need to leave the conference whenever either one of them lose a game to someone other than OU or UT. For that reason I hope it's in FB just to tick their fan bases off. My personal choice would be for BB, would love to knock the JHawks of their perch.

Also how long before they finally expand the CFP to 8 teams? I wouldn't mind it being larger but realistically 8 catches most the teams that would have a chance of winning it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Also how long before they finally expand the CFP to 8 teams? I wouldn't mind it being larger but realistically 8 catches most the teams that would have a chance of winning it.

Yeah, 5 P5 autobids and 3 at large bids always seems the right way to go.

There will always be someone that misses the cut, but after the top 8 your claim to ***** really goes away quickly

• Agree
Reactions: cstrunk

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Regardless of where we are at with the quality of each program, it is so much more difficult to build a powerhouse football program than basketball.

Look at K State in the '90s and early'00. Hung out in the national top 10 for 8 years before winning the conference.

Big 12 football isn't what is was, but Oklahoma is still Oklahoma

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We will win the conference regular season title this year. So I will go with basketball.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
IMO, Campbell is going to win a Big 12 championship within 4 years. I wouldn’t even be surprised if it was this season. It’s pretty amazing to think about.

So, can Prohm beat Campbell to the punch? It’s hard with the double round robin. KU almost never loses at home. KU pays their players. KU pays the officials. KU pays their time keeper. KU treats the Big 12 Regular Season championship as a season long Super Bowl and then takes off the month of March.

So, in conclusion, I vote football. And just think about that considering where we were back in 2015. Rhoads said we couldn’t even get recruits to fly in because of the 20 minute drive from Des Moines.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
This brings up the broader question of Texas and Oklahoma fan bases saying they need to leave the conference whenever either one of them lose a game to someone other than OU or UT. For that reason I hope it's in FB just to tick their fan bases off. My personal choice would be for BB, would love to knock the JHawks of their perch.

I have said for 20 years it should be 8 and only 8 and I have never changed my mind in 20 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron