Can anyone explain our philosophy on fair catching PUNTS inside the 10?

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I really didn't get the fair catch - I think the last time TT punted.and the returner had about 20 yards between himself and the closest defender when he caught the ball.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think letting catchable balls bounce at the 15-30 yard line is an equally big issue. Several times this year we just haven’t been agressive enough in running up on short kicks to fair catch them. And instead let the bounce and roll out for an additional 10-15 yards.

Punt return in general has been a bad unit all year. I love Milton in the passing game, but he has terrible instincts as a returner. Can Kene return punts?

That’s just as frustrating to me, especially when it was a field position game for stretches.

Frankly just embarrassing special teams coaching and execution today. They’ll mostly get a pass from the press/fans because they won but hopefully today was a wake up call.

Too answer the OP’s question the only advantage to catching it at the 4 is that you don’t get it at the 3. That one specifically has to be a lack of field awareness by Milton, no one is coaching returners to fair catch a ball inside the 5.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
ST staff have a lot of work to do.

Yeah...that unit has been wanky all year. It would really stink to have a potentially special season wiped out by poor special teams play.

It's got to be rather rare for a team to give up 2 touchdowns in a season by blocked kicks. It seems that the opponents are seeing something and starting to take advantage.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I really didn't get the fair catch - I think the last time TT punted.and the returner had about 20 yards between himself and the closest defender when he caught the ball.
The last time they punted we were in a punt safe formation and Milton fair caught it at our ~45 while 5 TT players were running at him with no blockers.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Yeah...that unit has been wanky all year. It would really stink to have a potentially special season wiped out by poor special teams play.

It's got to be rather rare for a team to give up 2 touchdowns in a season by blocked kicks. It seems that the opponents are seeing something and starting to take advantage.
Even on our made kicks, there is a ridiculous amount of pressure coming right up the middle.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I agree that we seem to be struggling on kicks and kick returns. However, I put the last one on the coaches. Milton was looking to the sideline and asking for advice all through the set up for the kickoff, but it didn't seem like he gotten help.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Can we rely on Randy to get to the bottom of this and ask about these fair catch calls?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Not sure how this thread got so far off track? The OP clearly was talking about punts, not kickoffs. And it was the fair catch on the 4 yd line of a PUNT that led to the sack, fumble TD for TT.
special teams coach needs to be fired. No time to waste trying to teach the present special teams coach. Bring someone in that has a sense of urgency in what needs to be done.

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I have a lot of very critical things to say about our special teams coach, if we have one at all. But the fair catch on the kickoff was the right thing to do. It was tarique vs 10 unblocked guys. He was on the 10 yard line and they were on the 35 when he caught it!

Best case scenario, he gets to the 25 and then annihilated and potentially injured

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Our ST has been terrible all year. And not just our punt return game or FG/Punt protection.

I'd also like to know what Corey Dunn's punt averages are when he uses the "rugby" style punt vs the traditional method. It seems to me like he's been WAY better at the traditional method, but I don't know if the stats would prove that out or not?

I just know that his "rugby" style punts have usually been terrible. I don't understand why we feel the need to do those?

And yesterday I think he used the "rugby" style punt all day if I'm not mistaken?

• Agree
Reactions: BigD and flycy

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think Milton should have taken that return after the safety. I realize he was going with the safe option to get ball at 25 but I think he would have gotten much further up field. I guess I also understand though it might not have been worth the risk of fumbling.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I didn't mean to ask about the kickoff situations. I think we wanted to get the ball to our best player and kill clock. That didn't bother me strategically. Fair catching inside the 10 seems like a strategic mistake and it is driving me nuts. We've done it in past games too. Im guessing they're is a reason to do it. Can anyone explain it please? This is not a low discipline team where guys will just continue to do things incorrectly or against team strategy.

I think he got chewed for not fielding the previous punt and wasn't going to make that mistake again. Only this time he should have left it. It happens at every level of play.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
special teams coach needs to be fired. No time to waste trying to teach.
There’s not time to teach 18-22 year olds, but there’s time to fire a coach and bring in someone new? What exactly do you think the new guy would do besides teach? Unless the new coach would have eligibility, teaching is all that can be done.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
So.... We have gotten one answer thus far that relates to punt fair catching. Basically... "You should stand on the 10 and let it go by if it is going over your head." That is what I have heard in the past too. Are there any arguments against this?

Now, any answers to my second question? Why are we doing this again and again? Is it coaching? Is it philosophy? Is it possible that football players loose track of where they are on the field? Do some players just like to catch the ball more than others? Is there an argument about this in the football world? I just don't understand and I can't believe it is lack of knowledge from the coaches or discipline from the players as both seem pretty darn good right now.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think he got chewed for not fielding the previous punt and wasn't going to make that mistake again. Only this time he should have left it. It happens at every level of play.

You're right, it does happen at every level, but it doesn't make it right.

Some returners just have that built in ability to know when to field a punt and when not to, and others just seem confused about what to do back there?

I do like the idea of planting your feet on the 10 yd line and NEVER backing up though. Should be easy enough to understand. Had Milton done that on the one he fair caught on the 4 yd line, there was a decent chance the sack fumble TD for TT never happens.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Conservative coaching and Freshman returner.
Conservative coaching would be "follow the basic football rule at all times, even if you think you've got a reason not to." Not, "fair catch it at the 4, that's conservative." That's actually stupid coaching if it is the case.

Now for the freshman thing. "Hey Milton, stand at the 10. If it even looks like you need to raise your arms to catch it, run away and yell like heck to get everyone else away too. And if you catch it inside the 10 again, you'll be playing 100% of your downs on offense (which we really appreciate.) Got it?" That should take care of it.

Freshmen are not stupid, they've already played at least 4 years, if not 8 years, of football and know a lot of football rules of thumb. This is one of them and they shouldn't even have to be told. However, they should be able to be told once and follow it every time!

Please, someone that has returned punts, tell me it isn't this simple.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I have a lot of very critical things to say about our special teams coach, if we have one at all. But the fair catch on the kickoff was the right thing to do. It was tarique vs 10 unblocked guys. He was on the 10 yard line and they were on the 35 when he caught it!

Best case scenario, he gets to the 25 and then annihilated and potentially injured
That’s only the best case if you don’t trust Milton to get the easy yards and then get down.

That play exemplifies the hidden cost of our tendency to overly avoid risk imo. Playing conservatively with ball control is a good way to win when coupled with good ST and defense. But when you’re so risk averse that you’re restrictive- losing easy field position, not getting first downs- it is nearly the opposite of ball control.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: hoosman

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Not sure how this thread got so far off track? The OP clearly was talking about punts, not kickoffs. And it was the fair catch on the 4 yd line of a PUNT that led to the sack, fumble TD for TT.

Exactly. It’s possible that fair catch at the 4 cost us 7 points. Touchback, and we have the ball at the 25. If their 2 defenders down it at the 1, we are likely running it twice or three times to get breathing room and avoid what happened.