NCAA cites Baylor - "lack of institutional control"

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
From ESPN.com (Oct 1, 2018), her are the first 4 paragraphs of the article:

Baylor University has been served with a formal notice of allegations after the NCAA completed its investigation into the school's handling of sexual assault allegations, according to a Fort Worth Star Telegram report.

According to the Star-Telegram, the school is being cited for lack of institutional control, and former head coach Art Briles is being cited for failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance. The Star-Telegram said Baylor had been served notice last month.

Baylor, which would have 90 days to respond, has been embroiled in controversy over sexual assaults, alleged sexual assaults, and other violence involving students -- including members of the football program -- going back more than 10 years.

At the heart of the scandal -- which has led to the filing of 10 Title IX lawsuits -- is the school's perceived lack of action in reporting cases and providing counseling and aid to the victims/accusers.

Link to full article: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...lack-institutional-control-notice-allegations

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Opening to the "exclusive" from the Fort Worth Star Telegram:

The NCAA has completed its investigation into Baylor University and has submitted a formal notice of allegations against the Big 12 school, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Former football coach Art Briles is among those alleged to have committed NCAA infractions. Sources confirmed the allegations against Briles fall under “Head Coach Responsibility: Failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance.” Also among the NCAA allegations is a “lack of institutional control.”

Neither the NCAA nor Baylor officials commented for this story. It’s standard for all parties involved in an NCAA investigation to decline comment until the matter is resolved. Officials familiar with the process spoke on background.

A few other key paragraphs:

On Monday, KWTX in Waco reported that Richard Willis, the former chairman of the board of regents, made racially insensitive remarks about Baylor football players and university coeds during a trip in 2014. According to the report, Willis used the n-word to describe the players.

The NCAA opened its investigation in June 2017 and submitted its report to Baylor approximately three weeks ago. The school has 90 days to respond.

After Baylor issues its response, the NCAA has 60 days to reply. Given the usual timeline in these cases, this situation should be resolved in the spring of 2019.

Link to article: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article219285540.html

My own editorializing about Baylor: I wish they had been booted out of the Big 12. The way they handled extremely serious allegations was cynical and despicable. Don't have a beer on our Christian campus, but sure, let the football team violate women.

Last edited:

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Please, please, please smack their FB team gooood! (Wishful thinking, I know). I would absolutely love having another weak team in the Big XII (in addition to KU). It would certainly help balance out the gauntlet the conference schedule has been since they eliminated the divisions.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Academics seldom punish there own in a meaningful way. We've been down this road so many times.

Yeah, the NCAA has disappointed a lot in recent years. They will probably lose a couple scholarships for a couple years. Remember that time ISU was placed on probation for giving a kid a Big Mac and a ride to the airport? Well that penalty was probably worse than what will happen to Baylor. It will be interesting to see if they do anything about MI State.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, the NCAA has disappointed a lot in recent years. They will probably lose a couple scholarships for a couple years. Remember that time ISU was placed on probation for giving a kid a Big Mac and a ride to the airport? Well that penalty was probably worse than what will happen to Baylor. It will be interesting to see if they do anything about MI State.
pretty much. Choose your own idiom. The cat is out of the bag. The Emperor has no clothes. The NCAA is a paper tiger.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
I agree the ncaa has absolutely no power anymore. I dont know much about Baylor's finances, but I wonder if title 9 violations can even hurt them.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Nebraska...the contrast is "lack of institutional control" versus "total institutional control" I guess.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron