*Official Iowa-ISU Prediction Thread*

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
ISU was a better second half team than first half team last year

Just to clarify, I meant half of games not half of season. Just wanted to make sure we were discussing the same topic. Iowa has done very very well in the past several years with halftime adjustments. I didn’t look up ISU.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
This isn't correct. Last year with Iowa you could tell what kind of game it was going to be based on how the first quarter went. If they were out of synch there was no getting back in synch. This was the worrisome part of the game last week when they came out and looked out of synch on offense. They corrected at the half and things started to click. Like it or not momentum has an impact and with the dropped ball by Fant right out of the gate it seemed to snowball for a while until after half time. Last year you kind of knew which Iowa showed up based on what the first quarter looked like.

Iowa significantly out scored their opponents in the second half last year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Just to clarify, I meant half of games not half of season. Just wanted to make sure we were discussing the same topic. Iowa has done very very well in the past several years with halftime adjustments. I didn’t look up ISU.

ISU played better after halftime last year and was good at making adjustments is what I meant

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
ISU played better after halftime last year and was good at making adjustments is what I meant

Just making sure. I’m flying blind here, but hasn’t Iowa out scored ISU by quite a bit in the 2nd half the last couple of years?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
ISU 35 - 31 Iowa. A turnover or special teams error either way could reverse the score.

I think ISU will be hit and miss on offense due to the OL and lack of a game 1. But they will get some explosive plays based on the personnel and Iowa having some new pieces (e.g. LB).

Offensively, Iowa will do what they always do - run the ball and play action. And it will work decently well, as usual. ISU defense will get some stops but they will also give up some long bend-don't-break drives and TE helps them score in the red zone.

It will really come down to turnovers, as football does about 90% of the time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Same guys as last week so another huge Iowa advantage in captaining for a real game. Hope they don't screw up the coin flip.

Will listen to hawk games when in the combine. Best thing I ever heard about coin tosses was from dolphin. Announced Iowa was receiving the kick and that they won the toss. Added that now they had won the toss something like 91% of the time over the last four years.

I heard him say this a couple games in a row. It may have been Eddie (probably showed up later and was not fully tanked), who explained that maybe the other team won and deferred to second half. Spent a few minutes explaining the concept to him. You could tell dolphin had no clue that most teams defer but Iowa takes the ball. Between the two it’s why Iowa usually received, not Iowa guessing the toss right over 90% of the time.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Will listen to hawk games when in the combine. Best thing I ever heard about coin tosses was from dolphin. Announced Iowa was receiving the kick and that they won the toss. Added that now they had won the toss something like 91% of the time over the last four years.

I heard him say this a couple games in a row. It may have been Eddie (probably showed up later and was not fully tanked), who explained that maybe the other team won and deferred to second half. Spent a few minutes explaining the concept to him. You could tell dolphin had no clue that most teams defer but Iowa takes the ball. Between the two it’s why Iowa usually received, not Iowa guessing the toss right over 90% of the time.

Why do I find that believeable, haha... Gotta love announcers sometimes. Harry Carey was one of the worst actual play by play guys ever, but how could you not love that guy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why do I find that believeable, haha... Gotta love announcers sometimes. Harry Carey was one of the worst actual play by play guys ever, but how could you not love that guy.

Dolphin says some funny things but he's at least distinguishable and loves his team.

Last I knew it was common for him to get excited about an Iowa running back 'churning and spinning and dashing his way out to the 34 yard line! Pick up of two yards but would have been long gone if it weren't for the linebacker tripping him up near the line of scrimmage!'.

Walters has his moments too. I thought he was going to kill someone on air when ISU missed a field goal a few years ago after a season of horrible offense under CPR. He also tends to get into various details for long periods of time in basketball without updating things like the score, haha.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Iowa - 24
ISU - 23

We miss a field goal as time expires. I'm very concerned about kicking, punting, tackling, penalties, and offensive line. Not having a full game to prepare us is a MASSIVE blow. Lord I hope that I'm wrong.. Losing to Iowa 4 times in a row would suck and that would also be 3-8 over the last 11 against our biggest rival... Iowa has also scored over 80 points against CMC... I hate playing the Debby Downer but that's what my gut is saying

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Tough start for the Cyclones with no game experience.

Iowa does not have the explosion on offense to really capitalize.

14-3 at half

Iowa State comes out in the second half and plays our game...

The offensive line proves surprisingly efficient
David Montgomery makes fools all over the place
Kempt is super duper efficient about managing the game and third down

Air sucked out of the ball.

Our D-line asserts itself. Iowa only manages one more touchdown in the second half.

Iowa State eventually grinds out a 24-21 win.

I have a similar thought as you. We with lack of game experience, we come out slow and make some bonehead mistakes early. Iowa takes a 10-14 pt lead into the half. I like your optimism, but the cynic in me says ISU falls just short and loses something like 20-17.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Dolph is definitely a homer (what you would expect in that situation, Walters is for us). What irritates me at times about him and Eddie is they can go 10 minutes yammering about a guy standing on the sidelines and then tell you the hawks kicked a field goal. I'm thinking, when did that happen, Purdue (or whoever) had the ball on Iowas 25 and something had to happen. They can forget they are explaining the game to you and important parts is down/distance, and ball placement. Not what Eddie had for supper at some restaurant when he played for the chiefs.

• Funny
Reactions: s_ford and iahawks

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

Yeah if 91% over that many tosses one should check the coin being used.

I think Dolph is a banker also, so kids make sure you reconcile your accounts!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Dolph is definitely a homer (what you would expect in that situation, Walters is for us). What irritates me at times about him and Eddie is they can go 10 minutes yammering about a guy standing on the sidelines and then tell you the hawks kicked a field goal. I'm thinking, when did that happen, Purdue (or whoever) had the ball on Iowas 25 and something had to happen. They can forget they are explaining the game to you and important parts is down/distance, and ball placement. Not what Eddie had for supper at some restaurant when he played for the chiefs.

Been saying this for years. I dare anyone to tune in and time how long it takes to find out the time remaining, score, down and distance, etc. And yeah, will bang on about something ancillary while the game is happening, and ignore the game! Basketball is same. Just horrible at play by play. Not fit for purpose, as the Brits would say.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
31-13 Iowa State.

I think the matchups are favorable to Iowa State’s strengths. I see Iowa having a very difficult time maintaining drives. I think Montgomery does Montgomery things and then some of the O-line is inclined to pitch in. Kempt plays another efficient game and we get some big plays when Iowa tries to load the box.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: flycy and benjimill

Help Support Us

Become a patron