*Official Iowa-ISU Prediction Thread*

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Come on man. I know it’s the biggest game of the year for them but there is no way we only score 10 points against that defense.

MC says its the best D Line in the country.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
This might surprise you but one game doesn't define the season for our program like it does for you. Last year CMC was great at halftime adjustments and we were a better team in the second half than the first half

Sounds like more excuses in advance to me. I will accept the outcome on Saturday. No excuses.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
This might surprise you but one game doesn't define the season for our program like it does for you. Last year CMC was great at halftime adjustments and we were a better team in the second half than the first half

My bad friend. I misread that as as you stating Iowa being a better second half team. You stated ISU. I agree with that statement.

Reactions: VeloClone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sounds like more excuses in advance to me. I will accept the outcome on Saturday. No excuses.

No excuses at all. Someone from Iowa's defense will play the best game of their life, Hockenson will magically learn how to block, etc. Crazy things happen for your team in this game. Look at your freshman WR last year

• Agree
Reactions: everyyard

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
I think this game comes down to a couple key positions on eihter side of the ball for ISU.

QB play is going to be extra important for ISU having not had as many game reps. Good for ISU, Kempt makes quick, good decisions. Hopefully, this, along with the return of most of the starters last year, allow ISU to move into this game with little rust or figuring stuff out. We really need the Oline to allow Montgomery to get some success on the ground so Kempt and co. can attack the air and keep our defense off the field.

I feel confident about nearly all of our defensive positions. That said, I think that ISU's MLB and safeties will be targeted because of their lack of experience/youth. Hopefully having veterans like Spears and Harvey on either side of Vance/Rose and Lima up front will open up enough space for these two to lock down inside runs and TE passes over the middle. I see Iowa doing the typical run, run, pass play calling to suck up our safeties enough to force the long ball. I think Iowa will attack the middle of the field and flats as set up for longer passes.

Through cardinal and gold glasses, I am going to say 31-21 ISU. In the end, ISU's defense is able to better contain the run than Iowa's defense allowing the pass game to really take off. (Come on O-line show the world the work you've been doing all off season!)

D

Deleted member 8507

Crappy weather, crappy stadium, crappy fans. ISU wins after weather delay 24-21.

lets-talk

Jun 13, 2018
Final score ISU wins 31-17

On offense, Iowa doesn't have the running game to overcome isu's DL this year. None of the backs can do anything when the blocks don't (and they rarely do) materialize as drawn up. In other words, there's no Wadley like God playing for Iowa this year. The pass game has no receivers at all -- not literally of course but it comprises a bunch of stonehanded slow-motion runners. So the Iowa modus operandi is to keep their D fresh by winding down the clock as much as possible when the offense is on the field, and be opportunistic with their TEs (both are good) to get them out of 3rd and longs. The OL isn't capable of leaning on any reasonably sized DL to make even 4th-and-inches. All this hardly makes for a sustainable offense against legit opponents.

Now the Iowa D. The Iowa DL is good only on paper. Yes, by any standards the DEs are very good but they have plugged in DEs at the DT spots as well. These are scrappy but featherweight boys who frequently got carried along for 8-yards a pop by the NIU OL last week. Combined with the complete lack of IQ at the MLB spot, Iowa's only hope of slowing down Montogomery is to bring a safety up and I don't need to explain what's going to happen then. The LBs right now are a huge liability for Iowa.

The NIU game was 3-0 at the half but it included a missed chipped FG by NIU and a outrageously bad throw (would've been TD with any other division 1 QB) for INT -- so without much contortion it really was a 3-6 or 3-10 type first half. Late 3rd quarter onwards NIU's extreme lack of depth on the lines became apparent and Iowa pulled away. None of these weaknesses exist for isu. Finally, the only reason the ypc stat for niu ended up low is the large number of sack yards late in the game. The RBs generated nearly 6ypc.

Iowa is a paper tiger. It's still possible they win this game but that would imply ISU is bad too.

On D, they will likely commit to take either run OR pass away and roll the dice the isu can't make them pay. If they play straight up, ISU is going to put up 45 points. On O, Iowa will do everything possible to reduce number of possessions and hope to win it on a special teams play (FG)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron