Article written by Kyle Kempt

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Really good article. Thanks for sharing. Sad to say it but I’m sure there will be some hate for his beliefs incoming.

Hey man, I'm not really religious, and I am not often a huge fan of a lot of religions, but that doesn't mean that I don't respect or appreciate religious people. I personally, nor any of the atheist/agnostic/a-otherword people I know go around spewing hate for people who follow religions. I DO, in private conversations, if asked, state my opinions which are pretty anti-organized-religion, but that doesn't mean I hate anybody for their religious preferences.

I know you probably don't mean any offense to me personally, but I read an article about a guy relying on his faith and perservering through adversity. While I intellectually doubt the validity of his religion, it doesn't mean that it's not real or true enough for him, or for millions of others. It's a little frustrating that the first response as an assumption of ill-will or hate towards another person.

All of that bring said, it's really neat to get to hear from the perspective of a player. Good read!

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Good read. I’m curious to hear more about why he may think he never got the opportunity at OSU and JUCO. Seems like there’s something there.

Hope the staff helped him improve his arm strength this off season. If he can get even just a little more zip on his throws, he’ll be damned good.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
It is is sad in how some criticize, but a healthy society is built around criticism and questioning of ideas. We've made it ok to challenge most everything, except this topic and this is what ought be challenged the most.

If someone uses faith, that is on them. My point would be, without, I bet Kempt finds a different avenue to motivate and get himself where he is now. It is the mental make up of the kid, not a belief in spite of lack of evidence.

Hope nothing but the best for him and that he stays motivated to accomplish whatever he wishes out of football and life.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here is another interview in which Kyle Kempt tells more about the back story of his recruitment on this podcast with guys in Akron. Starts at about the 15 minute mark. Lots of new information that I've never heard before, such as he started by committing to Cincinnati. Unbelievable all that he has been through. So glad that he is now having success. Very fitting for our fan base!

http://atozpodcast.com/hof-weekend-a-conversation-with-kyle-kempt/

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Hey man, I'm not really religious, and I am not often a huge fan of a lot of religions, but that doesn't mean that I don't respect or appreciate religious people. I personally, nor any of the atheist/agnostic/a-otherword people I know go around spewing hate for people who follow religions. I DO, in private conversations, if asked, state my opinions which are pretty anti-organized-religion, but that doesn't mean I hate anybody for their religious preferences.

I know you probably don't mean any offense to me personally, but I read an article about a guy relying on his faith and perservering through adversity. While I intellectually doubt the validity of his religion, it doesn't mean that it's not real or true enough for him, or for millions of others. It's a little frustrating that the first response as an assumption of ill-will or hate towards another person.

All of that bring said, it's really neat to get to hear from the perspective of a player. Good read!
This is the best 2AM time stamped post I have ever read.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
"Someone asked me if I have ever struggled to cheer for a teammate who was ahead of me on the depth chart, as opposed to hoping they fail, and I'll tell you the honest truth...almost anybody who has put on football pads has had to face those demons."

Great line and it is so true.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Really good article. Thanks for sharing. Sad to say it but I’m sure there will be some hate for his beliefs incoming.

Why do you think that? It seems like you are expecting trouble with little evidence.

Reactions: CyDude16

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One small thing stood out to me. He writes about not being able to storm the field since the game was on the road. And about how great it was against TCU. He’s not thd first player I’ve heard say something like that.

There’s a certain segment of our fan base that acts like storming the field is the worst thing ever and we should never do it. But these fans forget that this is a game and supposed to be fun. Storming the field is fun.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Atheist since I was seven years old. Loved every single word. What is not to love there?

It's a great thing for Cyclone football we have a QB who loves the game that much. Could not have picked a better player to finally give ISU a break with the NCAA and their eligibility reviews. He is truly an example of a player who earned that judgement. He seems like an example of college sports working in spite of itself.

No criticism of the article or KK in the slightest, but we need to stop pre-judging each other across the board.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I doubt it. Regardless of how many disdain anyone with religious beliefs, as you can see in the many threads in the cave, no one will be dissing KK for his. I for one enjoyed the article and look forward to his continued success.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
"Someone asked me if I have ever struggled to cheer for a teammate who was ahead of me on the depth chart, as opposed to hoping they fail, and I'll tell you the honest truth...almost anybody who has put on football pads has had to face those demons."

Great line and it is so true.

As I got more serious about sports I narrowed in on wrestling, I think part of it was I knew I'd never have to worry about being varsity at the weight I chose if I was the best. You got to take what you earned. I can't imagine putting the years of work in that I did to succeed at wrestling only to have some coach say..."meh". I saw some teammates even in a sport like that try to blame the coach for their failings when they'd lose wrestle offs or get beat out of a tournament.

I can relate to Kempt's life moving around, in one town a local coach will think you're a good athlete who should see the field on a travel soccer or baseball team, in another town a coach sees a bench warmer.

His OU game will probably be among the most famous game performances in Cyclone sports history up there with Jack Trice.

• Agree
Reactions: cdface

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Loved the line about him relating to Baker Mayfield as a walk-on who hung in there and just took advantage of the opportunities given to him.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and CTTB78

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron