NEW NCAA Basketball Rules Recruiting, Infraction Enforcement, and NBA Early Entry

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The NCAA just announce the new rules that are being adopted. Lot of changes to absorb here but this will change the landscape of Recruiting, Infraction Enforcement and NBA early entry.

@jeffborzello Here's a new one: student-athletes can now take up to 15 official visits beginning Aug. 1 before their junior year. Can only officially visit a school once per year.

@jeffborzello The NCAA is also adding longer postseason bans (up to five years) and lifetime show-cause orders to its potential penalties

@jeffborzello Found this one interesting: "People charged with investigating and resolving NCAA cases can accept information established by another administrative body, including a court of law, government agency, accrediting body or a commission authorized by a school."

@MattNorlander New recruiting calendar changes are official, per NCAA. Coaches can also attend NBPA Top 100 camp, which wasn’t allowed before. And yes, officially, Peach Jam/the first July period remains allowable, as CBS Sports reported last week

@MattNorlander A stronger enforcement model is going into play (this comes after an updated model was put in in recent years). Longer postseason bans (up to five years), head coach suspensions (more than a year), and potential for lifetime show-causes.

@MattNorlander In January, if the vote passes (as expected), five independent members will be added to the NCAA Board of Governors. These will be people not affiliated with the NCAA, brought in to bring an outsider’s perspective. Basically to help, in theory, the NCAA with evolving.

@GoodmanHoops NCAA announces it is implementing several recommendations:
- Players can be repped by agents.
- Agents must be certified by an NCAA program
- Players can be eligible for NBA Draft and return to school if undrafted.

@ShamsCharania NCAA basketball says it will now allow "elite" high school and college prospects to be represented by an agent. NCAA will also permit players to return to school if unselected in NBA draft.

@ShamsCharania NCAA says an "elite" prospect, as identified by USA Basketball, can hire agent beginning July 1 before their senior year in high school -- if/when the NBA and NCAA allow high schoolers to enter draft. College players are eligible after each season.

@ShamsCharania Players are eligible to hire agent after "any basketball season" as long as they request an evaluation from the NBA undergraduate advisory committee.

@Sam_Vecenie Another really, really good change: "Division I schools will be required to pay for tuition, fees and books for men’s and women’s basketball players who left school and returned later to the same school to earn their degree.”

@MattNorlander Key context on “kids can return to school if undrafted” is this: it only applies to players with NBA Combine invites. NCAA cites research that shows players with combine invites almost always get picked. So this new rule will almost never be taken advantage of.

@MattNorlander But it does offer an opportunity for the rare kid who is a fringe player, winds up striking out on draft night, and can return. Also important: Collective Bargaining Agreement needs an update to its language to allow this to happen. (It’s going to happen.)

Edit*
Summary article on the changes:
Big hoops news: On Aug. 8, college basketball recruiting as we know it will officially be no more. Here are the rules scheduled to change and the overhauled calendar for 2019 (and beyond), according to sources involved in the process.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...s-complained-about-changing-recruiting-rules/

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Agents for NCAA athletes is interesting, and the can be eligible for Draft and return if undrafted is a great recommendation that I see happening sooner rather than later. Although that will completely change how coaches have to recruit.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The NCAA just announce the new rules that are being adopted. Lot of changes to absorb here but this will change the landscape of Recruiting and NBA early entry.

@jeffborzello Here's a new one: student-athletes can now take up to 15 official visits beginning Aug. 1 before their junior year. Can only officially visit a school once per year.

@jeffborzello The NCAA is also adding longer postseason bans (up to five years) and lifetime show-cause orders to its potential penalties

@GoodmanHoops
NCAA announces it is implementing several recommendations:
- Players can be repped by agents.
- Agents must be certified by an NCAA program
- Players can be eligible for NBA Draft and return to school if undrafted.

That's a big one. That will make summer recruiting a little more interesting.

The longer postseason bans seems like a bit of posturing. I'll have to see harsher penalties before I believe them.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Agents for NCAA athletes is interesting, and the can be eligible for Draft and return if undrafted is a great recommendation that I see happening sooner rather than later. Although that will completely change how coaches have to recruit.

IMO being able to come back out of the draft is bad for college basketball. The early entrants are getting a TON of feedback when the declare and workout. I don't think we truly comprehend just how much this will change the recruiting landscape and it wouldn't be for the better.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Did they contemplate if a player enters the draft, falls lower than they thought but still get drafted and they want to return to college? Is that allowed? Take Wigginton this year, he wasn't a first rounder and wants to go first round, but if he stayed in and got drafted with the last pick in the second round, would he have to go?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
"@jeffborzello Found this one interesting: "People charged with investigating and resolving NCAA cases can accept information established by another administrative body, including a court of law, government agency, accrediting body or a commission authorized by a school.""

Cough cough FBI

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I could see the draft rule being worse than the current model. If a player falls - lets say into the 2nd round - they would be drafted and can't come back. The player most likely will not make full time NBA roster. Stuck on a G-League or 2 way contract instead of returning another year and improving draft stock.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
IMO being able to come back out of the draft is bad for college basketball. The early entrants are getting a TON of feedback when the declare and workout. I don't think we truly comprehend just how much this will change the recruiting landscape and it wouldn't be for the better.
I agree, but I also understand the idea of giving college athletes these opportunities. I'm with you that this will truly change the recruiting landscape, but I do also think that it will be more of a splash and ripple effect, compared to a splash and tidal wave.

IMO, it would be more like the High School players entering the draft out of prep. We see it as being a huge change, and it will be, but then people will realize what it truly takes to be a pro and may view the process differently after a handful of years seeing how everything plays out for kids ahead of them. There was a reason there were very few players coming out of HS before they changed the rule. I do think that most all of these kids get great info in the current set up, and most of them, that is all they need to hear. But there will be the people who think they are better than they are and want to try to work their way into a draft spot. I'm not against letting them do that. The biggest wrinkle here is the G-League, and how kids view that in the coming years as it progresses into what the NBA seems to want it to be. But I digress, because that isn't what you were commenting on really.

From a fans perspective, it'd be a tough change. But one I think would become just a part of it, in time. But changes need to be made to help the athletes, and I think that is one that you can do without completely screwing staffs over or the athlete.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I think it's great. They get a ton of feedback but it's not always good. I think it's great to give them a chance to still get a degree. There are tons of guys that declare and don't get drafted each year, I have to assume most of them think it's going to happen.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think it's great. They get a ton of feedback but it's not always good. I think it's great to give them a chance to still get a degree. There are tons of guys that declare and don't get drafted each year, I have to assume most of them think it's going to happen.
Agreed, and not to get too into stereotypes, but growing up around athletes from most sports, Basketball players have some of, if not the, biggest egos of any athlete. Due to the small amount of people on a court at any time, almost all of them at this level have been or are the best players on their teams, and still feel that is the case or at least possible. They don't like to hear they aren't as good as they think they are, and can be hard headed about it.

If a sophomore thinks he is gods gift to this great sport, I have no problem with him getting a dose of reality by going all in and getting let down. It has to be a humbling, yet potentially great learning/growing experience.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Allows for more kids to be able to see different opps, without having to do it on their own dime. Gives schools across the country, a bit of a fighting chance with more kids they may not have been able to because of price/travel. But 15 is a crazy number haha
It will get abused and players will officially visit a school multiple times. Yes I know they can only do it once a year but still... five was plenty.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

There are a ton of kids that stay in the draft even though all signs were pointed to them going undrafted. At some point these guys need to understand that dumb decisions yields less than desirable results.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
What if you want to come back but there isn't a scholarship available?

Reactions: isutrevman

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

No kidding, that is going to be a roster wildcard. Can see the blue bloods having to "cut" someone or tell the NBA prospect who goes undrafted, "sorry no room at the inn we filled your slot with another 5-star high school kid." o_O

Seriously though, it might be a little messy.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It will get abused and players will officially visit a school multiple times. Yes I know they can only do it once a year but still... five was plenty.
Sure, there is no doubt it has the ability to get abused. So do any of these proposed changes, really. But I'd rather give this young person a chance to see all of the places they want to, because it is such a big decision.

Help Support Us

Become a patron