FAWcast: Dickson Jensen

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The guy is embarrassing to watch coach. He also does a huge disservice to kids playing sports and tries to get them to quit other sports and concentrate only on basketball.

The AAU basketball circuit is like that everywhere I’ve been around. They want kids in elementary school to become one sport athletes. AAU leagues has wrecked several school teams.

A lot of money to be made, so there are several teams that aren’t helping anyone except the coaches bank accounts.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That's what I thought too. I think there is training and education involved for mandatory reporters too.

The guy is embarrassing to watch coach. He also does a huge disservice to kids playing sports and tries to get them to quit other sports and concentrate only on basketball.

Does he still live in "The Compound"? I used to work at Hilton with him as an usher back in the day. He was just very arrogant. Wasn't he also the one that tried to put up apartments on the east side of HWY 69 on the north side of Huxley in the new housing development?

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Does he still live in "The Compound"? I used to work at Hilton with him as an usher back in the day. He was just very arrogant. Wasn't he also the one that tried to put up apartments on the east side of HWY 69 on the north side of Huxley in the new housing development?

How far north in Huxley? In 94 I lived in some that was just north of the strip mall with the grocery store and post office there.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
The AAU basketball circuit is like that everywhere I’ve been around. They want kids in elementary school to become one sport athletes. AAU leagues has wrecked several school teams.

A lot of money to be made, so there are several teams that aren’t helping anyone except the coaches bank accounts.

I squirm because my 10 year old godson has already been forced into one sport and is already doing training 3 times a week. Why can't we let kids just be kids and enjoy life. Funny how much we let these coaches rule our children but God forbid we give teachers the latitude we give these coaches.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
How far north in Huxley? In 94 I lived in some that was just north of the strip mall with the grocery store and post office there.

The area just north of the retirement home and south of the new bank. That was a pretty hot topic a few years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
He rants and Raves on the sideline like a complete idiot. Think Fran McCaffrey but dealing with 13 year old girls.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yet, we often hear coaches praising recruits for abilities that were developed through wrestling, basketball, swimming, baseball.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I've never heard of this person, but this thread is making me both curious and reluctant to listen this week. What's the verdict?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Very interesting. I worked in concrete construction a long time ago and worked with him a few times. Seemed like a good guy. Sounds like youth sports brings out the worst in him.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Not sure his golf course (Harvester) could be called a success.
It was a top 50 course so, yeah it was a success for him. He wasn't in it to make a bunch of money. His current take is a little different but you'd know that if you actually listened to the podcast.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
yeesh, we finally have at least one really rich dude who loves the cyclones and spends money on the program....and every post immediately starts bashing the guy. (face palm GIF if I knew how to do that...)

I don't know the guy (and I made a comment negative towards AAU basketball not him), is he really rich? Haven't seen a name on anything unless I missed it. Usually that is where the rich donors pop up.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Harvester is far from a success. My parents lived there for 12 years in the Townhomes above the 3rd hole. It was nice for the first year or two then cut, cut,cut. All the amenities that made them buy out there was shuttered or severely cut back . My parents lost lots of value on the house over time and sold for about 2/3 of what the bought it for . Bad construction, slow response from management. Really a bad experience in the end. Dickson was not a nice man to deal with, all about him . He donates to Iowa State which is great, that's all the nice things I can say about him.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
yeesh, we finally have at least one really rich dude who loves the cyclones and spends money on the program....and every post immediately starts bashing the guy. (face palm GIF if I knew how to do that...)

Really rich dude who gives money to the Cyclones does not mean anything to me. If you treat youth basketball players like a money maker instead of being a Mentor. You don't rank highly on my board. If you talk kids out of playing sports so that your AAU program will be more successful. You kind of suck.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Harvester is far from a success. My parents lived there for 12 years in the Townhomes above the 3rd hole. It was nice for the first year or two then cut, cut,cut. All the amenities that made them buy out there was shuttered or severely cut back . My parents lost lots of value on the house over time and sold for about 2/3 of what the bought it for . Bad construction, slow response from management. Really a bad experience in the end. Dickson was not a nice man to deal with, all about him . He donates to Iowa State which is great, that's all the nice things I can say about him.

I never realized that was Jensen. Does he still own it? I saw they are turning it into a private club. They killed off the tees, fareways and greens to redo the course. They’ve got equipment out there and are moving a bunch of dirt on the course. The club house is torn down to the studs right now. I’m wondering what the plan for that place is. I never saw golfers out there because it’s too far from anywhere. They also took all the pumps and tanks out of the former gas station.

Kypdurron

Dec 13, 2017
West Des Moines
why is it every generation thinks "oh, this generation is so lazy and has no work ethic." Work has changed and having a cell phone isn't a bad thing. Talk about an easy way to alienate a portion of your potential work force.

Reactions: wxman1

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I never realized that was Jensen. Does he still own it? I saw they are turning it into a private club. They killed off the tees, fareways and greens to redo the course. They’ve got equipment out there and are moving a bunch of dirt on the course. The club house is torn down to the studs right now. I’m wondering what the plan for that place is. I never saw golfers out there because it’s too far from anywhere. They also took all the pumps and tanks out of the former gas station.

Yes it is still him. He is turning it private. Not sure all the details but I find it hard to see it working. They have tried a bunch of things to drive business and none of it has really worked. We will see what happens. I will say he has always treated the course better than the homeowners that bought out there.

Help Support Us

Become a patron