RECRUITING: Prentiss Nixon commits

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
I think having one sit-out transfer each year makes a whole lot of sense. Some of our high school recruits are just not going to work out. That's life. Turning around and using that scholarship for a player to sit out a year to fill a potential gap could be very valuable.

Besides, if you want to watch every scholarship player get some minutes, go watch Iowa.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I do find it hilarious that Chris and Jared's podcast was verbatim what many of us had mentioned regarding concerns about Nixon. Volume jump shooter, poor asst/To and 6"1 which limits his positions to the one or two.

I also found it incredibly entertaining when they said that Mooney was a no brainer and would have started over Babb. I'm fairly certain me and others got eviscetated for that same take.

All that being said. Welcome aboard Prentiss and I hope you are a valuable piece in 19-20.
We didn’t make the final list for Mooney? That is really disappointing. Folks are nuts if they do not see the huge hole at 2 guard next year. There’s currently 1 on the roster (Wiggy), and he and apparently everyone else thinks he should be a point guard.

And no, Shayok, THT, Babb, etc. are not 2 guards. Nixon is a year late. Frustrating.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
We didn’t make the final list for Mooney? That is really disappointing. Folks are nuts if they do not see the huge hole at 2 guard next year. There’s currently 1 on the roster (Wiggy), and he and apparently everyone else thinks he should be a point guard.

And no, Shayok, THT, Babb, etc. are not 2 guards. Nixon is a year late. Frustrating.
What?

The way I see it, NWB & Wigginton each play some 1 & 2 guard.

Lewis will play some 2 guard.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

And when that 1 on the roster is going to eat up 35 minutes a game you don’t really need a number 2...so for Nixon he is right on time if Wigginton leaves after next season.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Just speculating but could we have not made Mooneys final list because we were asking him to redshirt?

• Optimistic
Reactions: WastedTalent

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Lol what? Wiggington, Babb, Shayok, and Lewis can all play SG. You don’t have to be a small three point shooter to play the two.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Also it was mentioned earlier, but the kid should be able to play good defense coming from Eustachy.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Ha oh wow please enlighten us what is your definition of a "2 guard". This is good stuff....

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: ComCY and greenec31

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think he's a good fit. Yeah, maybe a little bit of a chucker, but that was what he was asked to do under LE. You know he's going to be a good defender, which is something that we've lacked on the perimeter. He did score pretty well and the MWC is nothing to sneeze at. I feel like Nixon, Haliburton, THT, Lewis and probably a couple of FR can make for a good back court with Young, Lard, Jacobson up front and Griffin playing some stretch 4.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm just not sure how I feel about our recent trend of bringing in all these 1 year players? When we were good, it was because we had guys like Niang, Naz, Monte, Thomas, etc for years and years playing together and developing a great chemistry.

I'm a bit concerned about recently having quite different rosters year in and year out. Bringing in a Beverly for one year, a Hans Brase for one year, Shayok we'll only have this coming season, Nixon we'll only have the season after, etc. And although it would be great for both Wiggs and Lard if they are gone after next season to the NBA, it will be bad for our future obviously. We're currently in the mode of piecemealing together rosters I fear and I'm not sure how successful you can be doing that, unless you're Kentucky.

I think that last year was an aberration with Naz and Monte back for an extra year. Most years, I think that it's smart to have 1-3 players sitting out. You can't play everyone and those guys that don't play like Jakolby Long end up transferring. I have no issues bringing in a sit out transfer or two every year to fill holes the following year. They are able to help in practice while working on their game. Beats a grad transfer who comes in cold.

Prohm is building with HS kids and doing a good job of that.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Lol what? Wiggington, Babb, Shayok, and Lewis can all play SG. You don’t have to be a small three point shooter to play the two.
Lewis is the definition of a two guard. He's long (for college), but he plays much more like a two guard than a three. THT can be a big two also, if necessary. Think a PG, THT, Shayok, Bigs lineup

• Agree
Reactions: LLCoolCY

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Lewis is the definition of a two guard. He's long (for college), but he plays much more like a two guard than a three. THT can be a big two also, if necessary. Think a PG, THT, Shayok, Bigs lineup

I can see THT playing point on occasion similar to what Niang did. THT has the ball handling and passing skills to do that.

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY and MartinCy

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
I think that last year was an aberration with Naz and Monte back for an extra year. Most years, I think that it's smart to have 1-3 players sitting out. You can't play everyone and those guys that don't play like Jakolby Long end up transferring. I have no issues bringing in a sit out transfer or two every year to fill holes the following year. They are able to help in practice while working on their game. Beats a grad transfer who comes in cold.

Prohm is building with HS kids and doing a good job of that.
1-2 players sitting out, no problem. 3 players sitting out is too many. We learned last season that it's not a good idea to start the season with only 10 eligible players.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
1-2 players sitting out, no problem. 3 players sitting out is too many. We learned last season that it's not a good idea to start the season with only 10 eligible players.

We only had 2 sit-outs last year. Shayok and Jacobson. McNeill backing out was the reason for the 3rd opening.

Edit: On re-reading I think you knew that, and meant that going forward having 3 sit-out is too many.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
We only had 2 sit-outs last year. Shayok and Jacobson. McNeill backing out was the reason for the 3rd opening.
I'm not questioning the reasons why we only had 10 players last year. I'm just saying it wouldn't be wise to intentionally start a year with 3 sit-outs.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron