RECRUITING: Prentiss Nixon commits

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Im curious if you were an advocate of Tyler Harris to Iowa State? Be honest. I only ask because you seem very hung up on the fact that Nixon is only 6'1" and a volume shooter. Last I checked Tyler Harris is 5'9" and if he is going to score at a high clip in college it will be from the perimeter.

Point being - I'll take a 5th year senior in Nixon in 2019/2020 over a sophomore Tyler Harris.

Nixon is a one-year guy, though. Harris would have been a four-year player. Even if senior Nixon was better than sophomore Harris, you have more coming.

Harris would have been nice to train as a PG of the future, but the staff liked Haliburton more from the sounds of it. Haliburton is 6'5" and long, things you cannot teach, and everything we have seen about him looks like he will be a great culture guy.

I like Nixon, though, and do not mourn for Harris going to Memphis. I think Nixon will get better in his off year, like Shayok and Jacobson reportedly have done, will push the team in practice, and will slot into a new role on the team the year-after-next as a secondary ball-handler, tertiary scorer, and bulldog on defense that we have been missing.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Nixon is a one-year guy, though. Harris would have been a four-year player. Even if senior Nixon was better than sophomore Harris, you have more coming.

Harris would have been nice to train as a PG of the future, but the staff liked Haliburton more from the sounds of it. Haliburton is 6'5" and long, things you cannot teach, and everything we have seen about him looks like he will be a great culture guy.

I like Nixon, though, and do not mourn for Harris going to Memphis. I think Nixon will get better in his off year, like Shayok and Jacobson reportedly have done, will push the team in practice, and will slot into a new role on the team the year-after-next as a secondary ball-handler, tertiary scorer, and bulldog on defense that we have been missing.

Agree with everything you said. Just trying to understand why some posters were willing to overlook Harris' short stature and gunslinger mentality on offense. Truth be told he will be a defensive liability at the next level as well. From all reports I've read Nixon is a plus defender.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
1-2 players sitting out, no problem. 3 players sitting out is too many. We learned last season that it's not a good idea to start the season with only 10 eligible players.

I guess it depends on who the 10 are. We could well have 3 sitting out this year with Nixon, Condit and Haliburton and I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it. But I agree that 2 sit outs is a more comfortable number. This past year, it hurt that McNeil backed out late and we knew that Brase was going to have potential injury problems. But then they hit a crazy rash of injuries with Talley, NWB, Young, Long plus DJack's family issues. It was a perfect storm.

As far as Nixon, as long as he can be a good defender, he's going to have a place. The 18-19 team didn't really have someone that can guard a quick PG. The 17-18 team didn't either and PGs like the one from NIU torched us. Nixon just needs to work on taking good shots and avoiding bad ones...and he has a year to do it.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Agree with everything you said. Just trying to understand why some posters were willing to overlook Harris' short stature and gunslinger mentality on offense. Truth be told he will be a defensive liability at the next level as well. From all reports I've read Nixon is a plus defender.

I think they are star-gazing more than player-watching.

Some people like the infinite possibilities of a 4* freshman to the solid-if-unspectacular known quantity of a senior. We have enough possibilities on the team the year after next, though, and 3-4 more freshman to bring in with the next class.

We need a known known or two, even if that guy is #4 to #7 in the rotation.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Im curious if you were an advocate of Tyler Harris to Iowa State? Be honest. I only ask because you seem very hung up on the fact that Nixon is only 6'1" and a volume shooter. Last I checked Tyler Harris is 5'9" and if he is going to score at a high clip in college it will be from the perimeter.

Point being - I'll take a 5th year senior in Nixon in 2019/2020 over a sophomore Tyler Harris.

I'm not sure I would classify myself as a Tyler Harris advocate but I would certainly take a 4 year Top 150 kid over Nixon. I believe Harris will shoot a better FG pct than Nixon and have a far better Asst/To ratio. But time will tell. Nixon may grow into everything you guys think he will. In my opinion 3 years of being a volume shooter is tough to break out of. I'm not convinced he can be a D Jax but at this point he is part of the team and I will support him. Hopefully it works...the next two years are pivotal.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
I guess it depends on who the 10 are. We could well have 3 sitting out this year with Nixon, Condit and Haliburton and I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it. But I agree that 2 sit outs is a more comfortable number. This past year, it hurt that McNeil backed out late and we knew that Brase was going to have potential injury problems. But then they hit a crazy rash of injuries with Talley, NWB, Young, Long plus DJack's family issues. It was a perfect storm.

As far as Nixon, as long as he can be a good defender, he's going to have a place. The 18-19 team didn't really have someone that can guard a quick PG. The 16-17 team didn't either and PGs like the one from NIU torched us. Nixon just needs to work on taking good shots and avoiding bad ones...and he has a year to do it.
Now that I think about it, a situation like you described wouldn't be too bad, because two of them would be freshman for whom you could burn their redshirts in an emergency. That wouldn't bother me too much if we tried to get through a season like that. But if you had three transfer sit outs with no choice to play in an emergency, that would be too risky in my opinion.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't mind the sit out transfers. Gives them time to work on their exposed weaknesses, be it physical, mental, academic. A proven player with experience in high level college play. People just have a bad taste after last year which was just a calamity of misfortune.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I don't mind the sit out transfers. Gives them time to work on their exposed weaknesses, be it physical, mental, academic. A proven player with experience in high level college play. People just have a bad taste after last year which was just a calamity of misfortune.

I agree with your reasoning, I'll add it gives the players a year to practice and learn to play together in ISU''s system and hit the first game running. I think anyone feeling snake bitten from last years class will should feel better after seeing Jacobson and Shayok next year.
Last years class was a result of Shakur and McNeil spurning ISU late and having to rely on immediate eligible players that had some weaknesses. Talley was successful once he got acclimated and healthy. Brase injury flared limiting his availability and Beverly great effort but should have been playing 12-15 Big 12 minutes instead of 25-30 just due to his height.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I agree with your reasoning, I'll add it gives the players a year to practice and learn to play together in ISU''s system and hit the first game running. I think anyone feeling snake bitten from last years class will should feel better after seeing Jacobson and Shayok next year.
Last years class was a result of Shakur and McNeil spurning ISU late and having to rely on immediate eligible players that had some weaknesses. Talley was successful once he got acclimated and healthy. Brase injury flared limiting his availability and Beverly great effort but should have been playing 12-15 Big 12 minutes instead of 25-30 just due to his height.
Probably inappropriate for this thread, I was pretty cynical of Beverly but he did everything asked of him. He even started shooting the 3 at a better clip towards the end. Sure he wasn't naturally gifted but he gave us decent production considering.

I'm ready to move on from last season. Just a tough year all around.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

That is an interesting video, Nixon can shoot with good range and I can see him continuing doing that in the Big 12. I did notice that he is falling back on almost everyone one of his jump shots, it is an effective way to create shooting space but, I am not sure how consistent that can be.
I wonder if the staff will work with him to shoot and land more vertically during his red-shirt year? Then again if it works it may be best not to mess with his feet to much.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Seeing what Prohm has done with Shayok and Jacobson, two role players at their previous schools, has me really excited for Prentiss Nixon in 2019-20

We'll need him, damn mock drafts have Hali and THT as 1st round picks. Then when Wiggy starts tearing it up we may be short on backcourt experience.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Seeing what Prohm has done with Shayok and Jacobson, two role players at their previous schools, has me really excited for Prentiss Nixon in 2019-20

His production #s as a junior in the same conference compare well to Will Clyburn's.